main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Birthright" -- the story of a genius

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, Oct 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_morgana

darth_morgana Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    WHO IS IT??????????????????????????????

2. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Heheh...wouldn't you like to know? Just kidding. I should be dropping clues here and there that make it pretty obvious, and at the end I'll make sure you know. Only I'm still pondering the end -- it will have a twist, I assure you...
    -------------
    As I settled into my well-earned position at the head of mankind, the faces of my allies and enemies changed. And their identities were not always defined by the names they carried. Often those who pledged allegiance to my vision were the worst of my enemies, gaining honors and privileges through a reputed dedication to my name. They were hypocrites of the worst sort, not content to be set in their proper position, but deeming themselves worthy of greater honors. Again, I pitied them, and felt it best to put them out of the misery born of their own delusions. Often it was my perceptive apprentice who rooted these hypocrites out and took care of them appropriately.

There were enemies, as well, who practiced no such hypocrisy, but they were no less dangerous. These, too, were prevented from resisting me by the ever-growing shrewdness of my apprentice. They were those who had scorned my powers, believing theirs to be greater. Poor, misguided mortals, they could have been forgiven their ignorance. But there was something else for which I could never forgive them, and that was their trespass against my apprentice. They had misunderstood him to the point of intolerance, and I in turn could no longer tolerate them. Their outdated prejudices had no place in my new order. In truth, that "new" order was far older than their supposed ancient sect. Their brotherhood was still in its infancy compared to the long and glorious history of mine, and it was best to cut off its growth before it matured into a dangerous, unwieldy monster. Many of my subjects were quick to recognize the wisdom of abolishing their order, and expressed their thanks to my wise apprentice. At last mankind was beginning to see my vision.

Yes, I did have my allies. My apprentice, of course, tried and true after his intense training. He was well aware of his status. There were others, however, who performed their allied duties completely unaware of the service they rendered me. They believed they served their own desires, but, as before, I used their base desires to accomplish my greater goal. These are the best allies, never in danger of deserting, for they do not realize they serve anyone but themselves. They were most often members of other races, inferior in their intelligence and perception, but perfectly capable of selfishness and cruelty. Those emotions, in fact, were my true allies ? powerful allies indeed.

And then there were those in the middle ? they dared not fight me, aware of my powers, but their skills hardly merited positions of power. Living simple lives, they avoided interfering in any way and thus maintained peace in their own little worlds. I could, thankfully, ignore them and concentrate on the problems.

Years passed, and my problems steadily lessened. My apprentice was like my hand, my eye, and my ear, monitoring my realm with a keen perception, speedily remedying the small difficulties that occasionally arose. But alas, prejudice would not be eradicated, and gradually a coalition formed against me, convinced of some imagined wrong that I had done them. They simply refused to see the wisdom of my ways, and I sadly realized that their blindness was incurable. They would need to be disposed of. There were plenty of my allies who were perfectly willing to assist me in this great work, and they far outnumbered those outspoken treasonists. I had little doubt that they would be put back in their proper place in no time.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Coolbeans.

I like seeing the Emperor's justifications for his actions.

4. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Hey I think I know who it is...

5. Angel of Iego

Angel of Iego Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2000
    Yes, I do believe the cat is out of the bag. ;)

Up!

6. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    I certainly hope this next post makes it pretty clear. And I hope it's really, really evil. :)
    --------
    Meanwhile, my great mind continued to expand the vision, the vision whose seed had been planted in my head since birth, and had been growing ever since, carefully cultivated and nourished. Now it was in its full flower, and one of its fruits was an idea which can only be called ingenious. It was the ultimate solution to the problem that had been plaguing my realm, long before I had taken the burden of leadership upon my shoulders. That problem, of course, was the literally millions of creatures whose intellect, physique and quality were clearly inferior to humanity, yet who walked side by side with them, attempting to take on the role of equals. They had burdened my beloved race far too long, and something had to be done, for the sake of mankind. And I knew what that something was.

The disposal method would need to be quick and efficient, and painless. I am not a sadist, I assure you. If I have ever shown hatred it is only a manifestation of the intense powers that flow through me. No, this was the most humane course of action. The careful nullification of an entire planet, all at once, was the necessary method. Finding a way of accomplishing such a task was far from difficult, for I had all of the collective intellect of the universe at my fingertips. And if no one else could succeed in devising the method, I would find the way myself. It was a mere game for my great mind.

There was a veritable multitude of rumors which sprung up as I began to put my plan into action. Those hypocrites who called themselves my allies were quick to declare my plan a step against the misguided upstarts, as a way to quell their rebellious flame. I let these rumors flourish as they would; it made little difference to me. Those simple-minded incendiaries would be taken care of one way or another. Meanwhile, when they were disposed of, I could carry out the true purpose of my creation. At last the galaxy would be cleansed of the filth that plagued humanity. And the humans themselves would be carefully sorted and assigned to their rightful places. Injustice and oppression would be a thing of the past.

7. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Up! and more later today.

8. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    As before, wonderful, absolutely wonderful!

9. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    It seems this story has reached its end -- just one more post! And please, please tell me if it makes you shudder. If it doesn't, it's failed in its purpose. ;) I really really wanted to make it as absolutely horrible as possible. I really am evil, aren't I?
    ---------
    Several years have passed since I first began my memoirs and I am sorry to say that things have taken a dreadful turn for the worse. Ingratitude, wretched, pervasive ingratitude plagues my empire and I fear that it shall never regain its glory. Ingratitude, corrosive as rust on metal, eats away at the strength of my people. No one, no one at all, appreciates my great contributions. They dare to oppose me and declare my ways corrupt ? my ways, which have only ever been for their benefit. The simple-minded rebels, mistaking my great invention for a move against them, had the effrontery to attack and destroy it. Even my supposed allies have begun to question my wisdom. They are all fools, sad, sad, misguided fools.

I have come to a decision. It has not been easy, for it goes against my very life's work. But it is clear to me now that I have been mistaken. My destiny was never intended for these pathetic mortals, unappreciative and ignorant. No, they do not deserve my service. I was born for a far higher purpose.

I shall rebuild my invention, and this time no one will stop its progress. I have made sure of that. I have made sure of everything. No one will stop my plan. No one even suspects the full import of it, not even my apprentice or his traitor son. Though on opposite sides, both are as ignorant and inept as the rest of them.

My plan is this: I have grown weary of leading unworthy subjects. They will have to go. It is no longer a matter of race. They are all unworthy. With my great invention, I shall cleanse the universe of all the scum that inhabit it. I shall wipe away all remnants of these low-level life forms, and start afresh. The new race, infinitely superior in mind, body and soul, shall appreciate me, shall call me Creator. They will know my wisdom, my greatness. No longer will I have to join the endless race of politics, foolish men competing for power, each trying to set himself higher than the others. *I* shall be higher than all the others, there will be no question about that, for I will be their Maker, their Master. Clearly, this was the destiny put upon me from birth, to start anew and build a better universe. This is my birthright. And generations from now, the race of men which I have made shall speak of me with reverence, with awe, with worshipful voices. And they shall honor the name of the Great One.

Palpatine.

10. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Up! <Shameless, shameless, I know...>

11. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    *sigh...* Up!

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Very well written Cinde, although the story did lose a bit of its "chilling" factor once it became obvious who the writer was. Knowing how it's going to end always takes a bit away from the shock value.

But that shouldn't detract one iota from the superb quality of your writing as well as the intriguing point of view you took.

This is the first story I've ever read from Palpatine's point of view.

13. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Thanks! Yeah, I was a little leery of revealing his identity, because the mystery made it somewhat intriguing, but...I had nothing left to write! ;) Maybe someday I'll write something else from his viewpoint, something a little more specific rather than all-inclusive. I actually have written a little something sort of from his viewpoint and sort of from Maul's, but I don't know if anyone would like it. It's sort of -- odd. But speaking of weird viewpoints, I'm writing TPM from the viewpoint of a very -- different -- character. I might start posting that eventually. Oh, I'm working on several stories right now. That seems to be the only way I write -- too much all at once. ;)

14. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Up....unlike Palpy, who just got thrown down the ventilation shaft. <groan...> ;)

Question -- does this make you feel at all sympathetic towards that deranged Sith, or does it just make you hate him more? Or has it changed nothing? Just curious...

15. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Good grief, am I upping this again? I should really let it die. ;) Oh well...here I go!

16. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Boy, I feel so shameless, but here I go upping it again. I'm just too impatient. "Control! You must learn control!" Maybe that's why I'm so Dark Side....it's quicker!

17. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Yes, I am upping this again, so feel free to smite me, but I am also posting to ask if anyone is interested in the other stories I mentioned -- the one about Palpy and Maul and the one about TPM from an unsual point of view. Having no life, I am always eager to post, but I fear that too often I am forcing my stories on people who'd rather be left alone. ;)

18. Wryin Shanraa

Wryin Shanraa Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 1999
    <raises hand and jumps up and down> Me! Me!! I want to see those stories!!

Actually, this story made me feel almost... sympathetic to the poor dead Sith. After all, he was only doing what he thought was right.... Ye gods! What am I saying?! Look what you've gone and done, you've made me almost like the nasty, cruel guy!! Just goes to show what a good story can do to you...

Anyway, yes please! Post those stories! I'll read them if noone else will!!

Wryin Shanraa

19. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Heheheh...if I've converted one person to the dark side, then my mission has been accomplished.

j/k! Maybe I'll post that Palpy/Maul story, after a few revisions...I have the feeling some people will hate my for it, but they can stop reading it if they don't like it! ;)

20. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    er, I'm just bringing this up because I hope to soon post that Palpy-Maul story -- I don't have to with me, but when I go home for Christmas (yay!)I can get it and post it. In case anyone's interested. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.