main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Bisons 2013 -- Pre-Planning

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BPStoyle, Dec 26, 2012.

1. RingoStarrkiller

RingoStarrkiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Good lord, Jon. You truly are the man.

2. DEE_SKYWALKER

DEE_SKYWALKER Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 12, 2011
    Guys, I never said to replace the narrator. Kathleen does a wonderful job and I never questioned that. But when I watched the videos one by one some of the stuff didnt make sense.

If the videos are going on after every inning, there should be a transitional narration, thats all.

The WWE comparison is valid although I wasnt thinking about it myself. But thank you for bringing it up. It is a beautiful thing to see sith or jedi dueling but it is also better to have somebody giving you te play by play and complementing the action.

But if you think it's not needed it is fine too.

3. RingoStarrkiller

Sep 5, 2012
    I've never seen anyone dueling with play by play...

4. HipsterJedi34

HipsterJedi34 Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it should be left as is.

5. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Penn & Teller?

6. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Ah, okay. I think I know what you were going for now. Something to recap each individual episode to the next.

Still never gonna happen.

And that's nothing against your idea at all Dee, and something that's completely is the way it is because of the mechanics of the baseball game. Inning breaks are 90 seconds long, and cannot be any longer. Believe you me, trying to cram information and plot into a video that short is not easy. Trying to show what happened before before each video would be too much, not to mention redundant for those that are watching all the vids.

To counter "it not making sense" and taking into the reality that many folks would end up missing at least one of the 6 videos over the course of the game (going to the bathroom, arriving late, getting that pretzel from the concession stand, hunting down Darth Vader for a picture, etc.), we have the recap video that plays right before the live show, which is mostly narration of the pertinent details along with clips to give people a refresh or get caught up to speed before the live events.

7. OP-Antique-Mall_W17

OP-Antique-Mall_W17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2011
    Bisons 2013 -- Pre-Planning

Mary and I will be working the tables, and helping out in any other ways needed on the day of the event.
    Need us to run a message downstairs, or follow a costume member, get something from your car, or keep people in line?
    Please, don't hesitate to ask us, as we are there to help, and you guys have plenty on your plate as it is.

BPStoyle likes this.
  8. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    In my experience, unless you're volunteering or specifically asking for a volunteer to step up, it's best not to leave any on-field task to "someone." Keep in mind how the majority of the group will be participating in the show and not able to serve as stage hands. Plus, it's not as dark as we think it is on that field. The crowd will see someone going to get robes (or Jedi standing around the field)

Additionally, it's just not as graceful live as it is in the flicks. Lisa & Michelle did the robe thing in 2010 for Duels of Destiny, since they wanted to homage the TPM duel as closely as possible. IIRC just the action of removing the robe (keeping in mind you have to do it with lit lightsaber in hand) was difficult to maneuver and just led to dead time on the field (in fairness, DoD had a lot of dead time moments but we've learned how to nip many of them out of the shows since). When you want to keep an audience engaged, anything that slows down the pace is killer.

Unless you're going to commit to wearing the robe for the entire duel (which is a major tripping hazard if you haven't constantly rehearsed with the robe on), it's best to leave it off the field entirely.

9. JDuffPhoto

JDuffPhoto Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 3, 2010
    Before completely shooting the idea down, can we discuss this at the next meeting? I don't think the boards can really do justice to what I had in mind. I'm only throwing this out there as for the past two SW Nights, there's been a charge from the tunnel or from the dug outs. As good as that is, I'm afraid of being too predictable.

I'll bring my robe and saber to show what I mean. Honestly, if this doesn't work, I'll let it go - no hurt feelings here. I just want to contribute some (hopefully fresh...) ideas to the table.

10. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    If you have a way to shuck your robe off effectively while not getting in the way of another's entrance or movement (not relying on "someone" to remove it for you), cool.

Fair warning, I'm sticking to entrances & exits that mask all performers. Especially on the second-longest daylight day of the year (this year's SW night is the day after the summer solstice. We're going to be lucky to get to dusk before the show starts).Additionally,I personally want to keep some continuity with the last two years' shows since they are in a sense, a trilogy. I honestly don't intend to have any performers on the field unless they are "in the scene." If future writers and directors want to swap that out next year or beyond, that's up to you guys.

I know you have your heart set on certain ideas, Jon, and don' get me wrong, I dig the enthusiasm. Doesn't mean they're going to get used this year, though.

11. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    If you have the entrances set to come in from dugouts, then i'll drop the idea. Again, no hurt feelings here, i'm just throwing ideas at you and I know going into it that not all of them will be used.

12. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I've been following this thread and to a noob like me, the development structure for this project is unclear. Could someone comment as to the established/sanctioned development and production mechanism for this show? Like who is the producer? It seems like it is Bryan. But, then who are the writers who prepare the synopsis and then the treatment or scriptment? Are the writers volunteers or appointed and does it stay the same year to year or can other interested parties get in to the action? Once the treatment is prepared is it presented to the club for feedback at a meeting? Given that the event is in late June, I would imagine you'd want the club to do that in the February meeting... anyway, very exciting and I'd love to help but I'd like to know the answers to the above.

13. RingoStarrkiller

Sep 5, 2012
    The writer is Bryan. He also director and producer haha.

14. MilosMom

MilosMom Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 27, 2009
    Bryan has had the vision of a trilogy and this year's is part three. He has done a fantastic job, but future scripts and productions will be up to others as Bryan will be departing Buffalo (sadly for us.) So get your ideas percolating since the race will be on for 2014.

15. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    Wow. Okay, I'll wait until 2014 then.

16. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    Everyone has input and have been invited to assist with the creative process. Bryan has led the project over the last few years but has always welcomed ideas, assistance, etc from anyone in the group. He has moved forward with the idea of the trilogy with the groups' blessing but again, Bryan has always invited others to join in. No one else has stepped up over the years to do this, so the group has been relying on Bryan's amazing artistic and creative talents. Please contact him and discuss further. The treatment for this year's show was presented and discussed at a meeting last year. This January's minutes which were e-mailed out, as well as this thread, noting that the group (esp BRYAN) have invited others to present ideas, thoughts, and offer assistance etc for the creative process. There is no reason for you to wait until 2014. I am sure Bryan would appreciate the assistance. Some "on the job training" would also be helpful for whomever would like to take the lead in the future (beacuase someone has to lead but not necessarily has to do it all alone!!!) in learning the steps for developing this production including Bison's meetings and approvals and Lucasfilm approval.
    Again, please contact Bryan and offer your creative talents. PLEASE do not hesitate if this is something you are interested in.

17. RingoStarrkiller

Sep 5, 2012
    I thought we came to the decision that everyone had one week after the January meeting to submit ideas. If you're going to set deadlines, stick to the deadlines.

18. MilosMom

Jun 27, 2009
    No, dismissal to anyone was intended, but there are only so many days left. I know June is still 4 months off, but now is the time to firm things up. I'm sure there will be LOTS of great ideas for future SW nights so all I was saying was get ready to present your ideas then. There is so much talent in this group that it will be fun to see what comes about. I think Starrkiller is right also.

19. 72Princess

72Princess Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 15, 2010
    The deadline was for idea submission, not for assistance with writing, producing, etc.
    I agree it is imperitive to stick with deadlines.

There is still alot of behind the scenes work to do in preparation for the event and I feel it would be beneficial for others to help in the process.

20. jediprof

jediprof Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2009
    I am (unfortunately) not able to participate in this year's Bison's night so I don't have a horse in this race. I am just worried we are starting to walk down the same path we have taken in the past.

With Bryan we get someone who devotes an enormous amount of time and energy to the production. He helps to provide us with a project that is probably as high-quality as we are able to get. So, hopefully everyone appreciates his energies and talent in this regard. We are lucky to be the beneficiaries of his skill set.

Bryan certainly realizes as well that he is experiencing a unique opportunity where he gets to bring some of ideas to life with 20+ people willing to devote a great deal of their free time, energy, and money to the project. A situation I am sure many people in the entertainment industry would dream about.

As we mentioned in last year's meetings, hopefully Bryan will be able to bring a good number of people on board with him this year since it is his final year. Any mentoring he could do would certainly be a good thing for the group. For those eager to get more involved also don't forget that in the past individuals have always had freedom in choreographing their own duels.

Ultimately is really boils down to how extremely lucky the Northridge is to have this opportunity with the Bison's. It is such a fun, exciting way to communicate our love of Star Wars. It is also one of the more rewarding experiences we have as Northridge members. Enjoy! [face_peace]

quigonschuel and 72Princess like this.
  21. MilosMom

Jun 27, 2009
    Well said, thank you. So sorry you won't be able to be with us.

22. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Boo to Bryan leaving us...=((

(but "yay for new opportunities for him in California..)

23. JDuffPhoto

Jun 3, 2010
    Bryan (and everyone else), I'm willing to step up to the plate for next year. There is alot of creativity in this group and we'll all have to push ourselves just to keep up with what we already have. I don't have alot of skill with film, but my photography and graphic design background may be of some use. Many of us are skilled prop makers and those skills will need to be called on as well.

On a side note, I have a scrap desktop pc in my posession that can be destroyed. I'm already planning on how that will happen.

24. Wild Sidewalker

Sep 5, 2012
    I definitely would like to help also. I've been involved with both movie and television production and have some experience with script writing as well. My question earlier was that I wasn't sure how formal and developed the production staff and process is. Perhaps there should be a sort of ad hoc committee that acts as the production staff; I'd certainly make time to attend such meetings.

25. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    I'm happy to have you guys (and others who want to step up) on board to learn the ropes.

My priority right now is solidifying the script which will be presented to Anthony (there are one or two ideas I want to make sure Anthony/the Bisons will allow us to do before moving forward). Chris and I initially had a meeting planned with Anthony last week, but Anthony unfortunately had to cancel due to automotive trouble. We will be meeting the week before our next meeting. We'll review the story, make sure it's practical, and Chris will review many aspects of the event as a whole (as he has done with Anthony most every year). At the next meeting we'll go over the script, see if anything seriously needs to be revised, and then take it from there.

Filming will likely be broken up a bit more than it has been in previous years. So long as Anthony is okay with it I imagine we'll have at least 2-3 filming dates, more than one being at the ballpark in order to get the best possible filming done, and avoiding the mad rush that filming can turn into. I will also be playing around with the notion of a "rehearsal night" to go over the video scripts so everyone has had a chance to work through them before stepping in front of the cameras.

Choreography rehearsal is likely not going to start until April this year, since the show is later in June than it has in the past.

72Princess likes this.