main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bit of culture - Musical / pantomime / etc meet

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    How about a meet to the theatre? I haven't been since I was a kid lol.
    Checking for North West based ones, there is the Lowry (Salford Quays) and found an interesting one -

Footloose - The Musical
    The hit movie, live on stage.

Based on the smash hit 1980s movie starring Kevin Bacon, Footloose tells the story of dance-mad city boy Ren, who has to move with his Mom to a rural backwater in small town America.

Ren is stunned to learn that dancing isn?t allowed anywhere within the town limits, thanks to the strict rules applied by the local Minister.

But Ren breaks loose, all hell breaks out and soon the whole town is on its dancin? feet?.

Featuring the hottest young talent around, this fast-paced show is packed full of electrifying dancing and classic 80s hits, including Holding Out For A Hero, Almost Paradise, Let?s Hear It For The Boy and of course the title track, Footloose.

?Sensational? The Sun

?Kicks up a high-octane storm? London Evening Standard

?The most electrifying show? Sky News

?Nothing comes hotter then Footloose? The Mirror

?All singing, all dancing, it?s a blast? Metro

http://www.thelowry.com/WhatsOn/EventDetail.aspx?EventId=2574

Dates (I've bolded out the ones I can definitely attend - daytime on a Sat is fine to travel there and back) -

Fri 9 Feb 17:30
    Fri 9 Feb 20:30
    Sat 10 Feb 14:30
    Sat 10 Feb 19:30
    Mon 12 Feb 19:30
    Tue 13 Feb 19:30
    Wed 14 Feb 19:30
    Thu 15 Feb 19:30
    Fri 16 Feb 17:30
    Fri 16 Feb 20:30
    Sat 17 Feb 14:30
    Sat 17 Feb 19:30

Tickets
    £19.00 - £27.00

Anyone up for something like this?

Review from The Stage magazine - it's the professional theatre mag ;)

Official website - here

How about a pantomime?

2. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Option 2 ...

Aladdin

Starring Bill Ward (Coronation Street?s Charlie Stubbs) as Abanazer, Cleveland Campbell (Emmerdale?s Danny Daggert) as The Genie of the Lamp, and Casey-Lee Jolleys (Coronation Street/Beachcomer Bay) as Princess Jasmine.

Cast List
    Abanazer ? Bill Ward
    Aladdin - David Flynn
    Princess Yasmin ? Casey Lee Jollys
    Genie of the Lamp ? Cleveland Campbell
    Mustapha the Guard ? Jamie Greer
    Slave of the Ring ? Barbara Nice
    Widow Twankey ? Keith De Winter

Find out more about the cast of Aladdin here.

Bring up to 2 Children ½ price with each Full paying adult. When booking online, please select ½ price Child discount.

Our super-special Aladdin is an action-packed adventure from start to finish. It?s fast, furious and full of fun.

We?ve an enviable reputation for presenting a traditional Christmas pantomime that offers not only some of the very best family entertainment in the North West but also provides really great value for money ? an unbeatable combination everyone has been quick to appreciate.

Coronation Street bad boy builder Charlie Stubbs (aka Bill Ward) is the Abanazer you?ll love to boo and hiss and he leads a glamorous and talented cast. With the latest chart hits, wicked dance routines and a truly hilarious Widow Twankey, it has all the ingredients for a very special festive treat.

Add a spectacular Flying Carpet, a genial Genie of the magic lamp and lots of surprises, then mix it all together and we?ll have the most magical and exhilarating journey to a Christmas wonderland where wishes really do come true.

http://www.thelowry.com/WhatsOn/EventDetail.aspx?EventId=2282

Fri 8 Dec 19:00
    Sat 9 Dec 14:00
    Sat 9 Dec 19:00
    Tue 12 Dec 10:00
    Tue 12 Dec 13:30
    Wed 13 Dec 10:00
    Wed 13 Dec 13:30
    Thu 14 Dec 10:00
    Thu 14 Dec 13:30
    Fri 15 Dec 19:00
    Sat 16 Dec 14:00
    Sat 16 Dec 19:00
    Sun 17 Dec 13:00
    Sun 17 Dec 17:00
    Tue 19 Dec 14:00
    Tue 19 Dec 19:00
    Wed 20 Dec 14:00
    Wed 20 Dec 19:00
    Thu 21 Dec 14:00
    Thu 21 Dec 19:00
    Fri 22 Dec 14:00
    Fri 22 Dec 19:00
    Sat 23 Dec 14:00
    Sat 23 Dec 19:00
    Sun 24 Dec 14:00
    Tue 26 Dec 14:00
    Tue 26 Dec 19:00
    Wed 27 Dec 14:00
    Wed 27 Dec 19:00
    Thu 28 Dec 14:00
    Thu 28 Dec 19:00
    Fri 29 Dec 14:00
    Fri 29 Dec 19:00
    Sat 30 Dec 14:00
    Sat 30 Dec 19:00
    Sun 31 Dec 14:00
    Tue 2 Jan 14:00
    Tue 2 Jan 19:00
    Wed 3 Jan 13:30
    Wed 3 Jan 19:00
    Thu 4 Jan 10:00
    Thu 4 Jan 13:30
    Fri 5 Jan 19:00
    Sat 6 Jan 14:00
    Sat 6 Jan 19:00
    Sun 7 Jan 13:00
    Sun 7 Jan 17:00

Tickets
    £14.00 - £24.00

We could do this one in next few weeks? Anyone prefer one over the other?

OR ...

Dick Whittington
    Step into a magical tale at Christmas with The Lowry?s pop pantomime for 2007, Dick Whittington.

The loveable Dick Whittington goes to seek his fame and fortune in the city of London, where he is told that the streets are paved with Gold. Journeying through the good, the bad and the ridiculous, this tale sees Dick overcoming all obstacles to find his sweetheart and become the Lord Mayor of London.

We?ve quickly gained a reputation for presenting a traditional Christmas pantomime, complete with pop songs that not only offers some of the very best family entertainment in the North West, but also provides really great value for money as Children go Half Price*.

With lavish costumes, energetic dance routines and stunning laser effects, this wonderful tale of love and happiness has all the Christmas sparkle you?ll need and will warm the cockles of your heart this Christmas. We?ll have another all-star cast ? watch out on our website and local press for an announcement in the near future.

* Up to two children go half price with one full price paying adult.

http://www.thelowry.com/WhatsOn/EventDetail.aspx?EventId=2713

Fri 7 Dec 19:00
    Sat 8 Dec 14:00
    Sat 8 Dec 19:00
    Tue 11 Dec 10:00
    Tue 11 Dec 13:30
    Wed 12 Dec 10:00
    Wed 12 Dec 13:30
    Thu 13 Dec 10:00
    Thu 13 Dec 13:30
    Fri 14 Dec 19:00
    Sat 15 Dec 14:

3. christmas-cozmic

christmas-cozmic Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    What about this one?

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    dunno. footloose? o_O i'm usually in for anything theatrical but footloose? aladdin? nativity comedy?

there's contact theatre as well, a bit urban and hip, maybe that's something? or the producers? although that maybe a bit expensive on the whole.

5. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    I'm up for anything :D

Been a long time since I've been to a Panto and Footloose sounds great :D

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A shame you all don't live closer to London
    The West End has all the best stuff :p

Still, I've seen many local theatres when I've been around the UK that seem to do their own nice productions.

I always visit the Young Vic theatre in London between Christmas and New Year, they do small scale productions with a little stage an no background sets. Their productions are always well done.

One thing I admire about good small theatre over Cinema is it does not rely on big scenery or effects to make you feel part of the production.

7. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    yeah well. i asked the londoners to come to see WICKED with me and so far no one has said anything :(

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    M, I am going to London in March for a weekend to meet a friend from FF NYC. I'd see Wicked (lol, I actually mistyped that first and put "Wicket") or Lion King then if you want, see if we can get FF-UK London involved. I know our Aussie FF-UK pal, Nat, saw Wicked when she was here, think she enjoyed it.

9. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I'm up for it Darth_Frared. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Wicked.
    It's been suggested a couple of times to see Wicked but I think everyone was waiting for the 'festive' season to do a bunk first, lol. I'm pretty sure others will want to go too.
    Here's a hug for you in the meantime from a Londoner . . . [:D]

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Wicked is a marvellous production, and I would certainly go and see it.

Although, there are many other brilliant things on in The West End. Tim mentioned The Lion King, which I have seen 3 times. It is most entertaining.

Evita, Guys & Dolls & Les Miserables are all very much worth seeing.

Also the new production of The Sound of Music has had many good reviews, I hope to see it soon.

And one must not forget the world's most successful musical - The Phantom of the Opera.

All these are worth seeing (although many are very pricey if you want good seats).
    I'm sure some will tour the country, so see them when you can.

And of course there is a lot of great non-musical theatre, by many great theatre groups, such as the RSC.

11. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    oh, that is very nice of you people! keep that up! we have an appointment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.