main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? FINAL

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hopefulwriter, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW
    (Continued from IT'S JUST THE BEGINNING) 

Time Frame: Before the original trilogy
    Characters: Han Solo, Chewbacca
    Summary: Han and Chewbacca get their first job together 

Chewbacca gazed at the star studded expanse of space from the Millennium Falcon’s cockpit
    window. Han smiled at his friend. “Ever been out this far?” The Wookiee shook his shaggy head and muffled an answer. “So, spent all of your life, up until now, on Kashyyyx.” Chewbacca woofed again. “Yeah.” Han replied “No need to travel when you have all you want where you are.”

Han checked the screen and punched in coordinates. “We’re gonna make our first stop on Denyar in the Tri/Dod system. We can get all our supplies and another pilot’s chair and bunk for you.” Han patted his friend on the shoulder, “How about something to eat?”

Chewbacca woofed a fearful question. “No, I’m not going to leave you at the controls by yourself.” Han assured him. “I’ll monitor all the systems from the lounge area.”

The pair rose from their seats; Han to the galley and Chewbacca to his cabin.

Han busied himself with heating the hydrated food and making kava. After a few moments
    he thought he heard growls and tapping. Knitting his brow, and listening, the sounds
    became louder. He followed the now loud growls and banging down the corridor and stopped
    in front of Chewbacca’s cabin. A knock produced no response, so Han opened the door
    and walked in, greeted by loud, mad sounding growls and full blown pounding on the lavatory
    door. Realizing what was going on, Han broke into laughter and walked over to the door.

“Chewie…Chewie…stop hitting the door.” The banging stopped and a low, pitiful moan came
    from the other side. Smiling, Han told Chewbacca what to do. “Hit the light pad and the door will automatically unlatch and you can open it.” Chewbacca did as instructed and mumbled as he came out and passed by Han to the corridor; “That doesn’t happen in the woods.”

Later, again in the cockpit, Han leaned over and pointed out the window on Chewbacca’s right
    side. “Look over there.” In the distance, a spiral. white galaxy was experiencing a double eclipse of
    its two suns. Chewbacca gave a low hum. “Quite a sight, huh?” The low timbre of Han’s voice gave assent to how he appreciated those space phenomenon. “You’ll see all kinds of sights like that
    throughout the galaxies.” A bell on the flight console began to pulse and Han flew the Falcon slowly into the upper atmosphere of Denyar, then called for landing coordinates from the spaceport controller and received instructions.

“All right, Chewie.” Han encouraged. “You take her in.” The Wookiee took a deep breath,
    placed his paws on the controls and under Han’s guidance flew the Falcon into the landing port.

Once in their berth and the landing locks set, Chewbacca gave a shout of satisfaction…he was learning the Falcon! “Good job, Buddy.” Han complimented him. After setting the landing lights and shutting down the engines, they were ready to leave the ship.

The two walked through the bustling spaceport town as species of all kinds milled around them.
    Chewbacca was wide-eyed as a child, hardly able to take in all the new sights and species. They garnered a few curious looks themselves as they continued past buildings and streets on
    their way to the open air market.

Han walked up to a three-eyed humanoid. “Looking for an oversized pilot's seat and a…”

The humanoid stopped and looked the Wookiee up from head to toe…

“about a four-meter long, very sturdy ship cabin bunk.” Han finished as he looked all around the items displayed…barrels, trunks, bunks, droids, motors, piles of steel, plastic and wood along with other items Han couldn’t identify. The humanoid raised a claw hand and punched button on his language converter, which ran from his ear to his mouth. “I have what you seek.”

He raised his other clawed hand and pointed to two ‘helpers’..spoke a few syllables and they
    rushed to do his bidding.

“How much?” Han asked, pulling a voucher chip from his vest pocket. “I’d like them to be
    delivered and set up.”

The humanoid mused a moment, then replied. “Seven hundred credits.”

Chewbacca growled. “It’s all right, Chewie. It’s an investment.” The Wookiee growled an

appreciation. “We also need food supplies.” Han told the species, who nodded as Han gave his list of
    needed items.

Later, back at the Falcon, Han supervised the placing of Chewbacca’s bunk and the installing ofthe co-pilot’s chair in the cockpit, while the Wookiee placed all the supplies in the galley and storage rooms.

Twilight had set upon the planet and it was gradually growing darker as Han and Chewbacca made their way back into the spaceport town. It was still bustling; but at this time of evening it was the ‘night lifers’ seeking a good time where it could be found. Sign lights flashed and bubbled over multiple cantinas which lined the street and beings were hawking their wares and themselves to all who passed by.

“Let’s try this one first.” Han said as he turned into the entrance,. Once inside, they were assaulted by the jumble of languages, smoke, haze, music and noise. Han shouldered his way through the maze of tables to a back booth. Making themselves comfortable, a female Triddian server walked up to them and handed Han a small language converter. Han pushed in ‘Corellian’. A food and drink list was then handed to him.

After scanning the paper, Han ordered; “We’ll have Mane’to-wok Stew, Zarafin Bread and mugs of Lycera Ale.”

“I’m also available.” The server told him.

“Not interested.” Han replied, not looking up.

She then moved to Chewbacca’s side and gave the Wookiee a big smile and wink.

“He’s not interested either.” Han told her.

The server shrugged her shoulder, “Too bad.” And left to fill their meal order.

Chewbacca woofed to Han, who laughed at what was said. “You want me to tell Malla “You’ve still got it?"

The meal finished, Han ordered another bottle of ale. “You stay here, Chewie, I’m gonna
    see if I can make some contacts for a haul job.

Chewbacca nodded an acknowledgment as he downed another mug of ale in one swallow.

“Go easy on that stuff.” Han cautioned.

The Wookiee shook his head and reached for the bottle for another refill. Han gave a wan smile
    at his partner. “Guess as big as you are you can handle anything.” The Corellian slipped out of his seat and ambled into the crowd, headed for the bar. Chewbacca once again filled his mug.. he was having a good time!

Han stood at the bar for some time, surveying the crowd and those sitting at the tables. One denzin caught his eye and he walked over to the table. “Quite a packed place.” He opened a conversation.

The being looked up and Han caught on to the fact that ‘it’ was female. Her heart shaped face,
    framed by silver hair, sported a green scar from her temple, across her left eyelid stopping at
    her cheekbone. It didn’t detract from her appearance. She remained silent as her slit eyes
    appraised Han from head to foot; tall, shaggy hair, handsome face covered by shadowy stubble, wide shoulders, strong chest, blaster strapped to his side, the belt buckle situated low enough to be tempting, dusty deck clothes…his scarred chin a silent declaration, perhaps, to battle. Sorry this had to be business, she mused before speaking.

I’ve had my eye on you, too.”

Han bristled, he didn’t like being the one under surveillance.

“What did you have in mind?”

“I need a pilot…one who has a fast ship, little or no scruples and asks no questions. Can you meet all those requirements?”

Han seated himself across from her, placing his half empty glass on the table, his forefinger

circling lazily around the rim. “That doesn’t even begin to list my ’qualifications’.

“You alone?”

“I have a partner…” Han nodded to the table across the floor where Chewbacca sat.

The female watched as the Wookiee downed more ale. “He’ll do.”

“When do I start?” Han asked, anxious to get to the job.

“The cargo is on Loc-Lam, third planet in the Ginmoyu system”.

“Quite a bit out of the way, isn’t it?”

“That is a question.”

Han knit his brow and pursed his lips.

“You pick up the cargo at the spaceport on the west side of Loc-Lam. You will be contacted when you land at these coordinates.” She handed him a small readout pad. With the other hand, she produced a polysheen card, inscribed with the credits Han was being paid. His eyes widened at the amount.

“Surprised?” She smiled.

Han chuckled, “For this amount I’d haul the Quad Devil of Nilbud and give him my cabin!”

“That’s just to pick up the cargo - you’ll be paid more when you deliver it. You’ll be told the destination when the cargo is safely loaded onto your ship.”

“Time limitation?”

She didn’t mind this question…”All has to be done within seven revolutions of the Moon of Cerpel.”

Han nodded, taking a deep breath as he stood. “Han Solo.” He introduced himself. “And you?”

“I don’t give my name.”

Han pocketed the pad and card and giving her a silent salute, walked away from the table.

Nearing the table he shared with Chewbacca, he counted seven empty ale bottles. Taking his

seat, he scolded him, “I told you to take it easy with that stuff.”

The Wookiee growled.

“You have this stuff on Kashyyyk?”

Chewbacca shook his head negative.

Han peered into his partner’s eyes. “You look alright…maybe you have a natural tolerance for this ale.”

Chewbacca grabbed the last bottle and motioned to Han.

“That’s enough, pal. We’ve got a job and we gotta be bright and chipper when daylight gets here.”
    As they left the cantina, Han noticed Chewbacca was doing fine, not showing any affects of the ale.

“Night.” Han called to his friend as they each entered their own sleeping quarters. Daylight would come soon enough.

Low, mournful growls and wails awakened Han. He smiled and stretched. Maybe Chewie was dreaming, he thought. Rising, he made up his bunk, dressed and readied himself for the ‘day’.

The moaning growls became louder and Han stopped and knocked at Chewbacca’s cabin door.

“Up and at it Chewie.” He called, listening at the door. He could hear no movement, just
    low moans which had now turned pitiful. ‘Maybe he’s sick.’ Han thought, opening the door to the Wookiee’s sleeping quarters. Scanning the room he didn’t see Chewbacca…’maybe he’s in the lavatory’ Han reasoned, walking to the door of the small room and rapping on the door, “Chewie, you alright?” Nothing….Han turned and caught sight of one large, hairy foot jutting out from under the massive bed.

“Chewie?” Han grabbed the foot.. “Come out from under there.” After a few moments of
    wriggling, scooting, twisting and turning…the Wookiee was clear of the bed and sat up,
    wavering unsteadily. Han took in the whole picture: fur all askew, nose red and his eyes
    were a sickly green. Chewie held his head between his paws and moaned to Han.

The Corellian smiled, “No, you’re not sick and going to die. Looks like you have one whopper of a hangover. Guess you don’t have a natural tolerance for ale.”

Chewbacca gave a questioning squeak.

“Yeah…I’m sure. I’ve been on the other side of those green eyes myself a time or two. You only WISH you could die.” Han finished with a laugh. “Get some strong kava in you and you’ll be ready to go. We got to get going. Got that job to do.

The Wookiee staggered to his feet, with help from his friend. He looked down at Han and
    growled.

“OK, I won’t tell Malla about this.”

The pair made their way to the galley…just some quick kava and food and they would be on their way to Loc-Lam……

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  2. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? Chapt. # 2

“Alright, Chewie, punch in the surface coordinates for Loc-Lam.” Han solo instructed as he watched the flight monitor. There’re two oblong planets on the screen, but I’m not sure which one we’re supposed to land on.”

Chewbacca deftly entered the numerical coordinates and a single, larger image the planet popped up on Han’s screen. “Guess that’s the place.” Han confirmed. “This sure is off the beaten track…no telling what we’ll find there…so stay alert!”

The Falcon angled into the lower atmosphere of Loc Lam.

“Check the gauges for the surface pull of gravity and oxygen saturation. Sure hope we don’t need life-masks.” Han directed as he scanned the area through the cockpit window. Chewbacca nodded, checked the readouts and growled an answer.

“69.3 oxygen sat.” Han repeated. “Just don’t try to take any deep breaths.” He teased.

The Wookiee then gave the gravity reading. ”Guess we’ll be a little light on our feet.”

As the Falcon glided lower, treeless landforms came into view; craggy hills, broad, flat areas and swampy lakes and marshes.

Chewbacca pointed and woofed at the same time Han spoke. “There’re the lights of the spaceport, sure looks small.”

They circled the small grouping of mound-shaped buildings looking for a nearby landing flat.

“Let’s set her down here.” Han said when he spotted a large, clear area.

The ship hovered, then settled heavily on the ground. Han quickly turned switches and flipped levers to put the starship in a stationary position.

“Keep the running lights on, Chewie, and don’t shut down completely - we may have to make a quick getaway.”

The Falcon’s low, vibrating, thrumming hum drowned out all other sounds and a loud bang at the hatchway caught Han off guard and he jerked around, quickly drawing his blaster.

“What the…..” he exclaimed. He silently motioned for Chewbacca to go to the other side of the hatchway. At the Wookiee’s nod Han hit the ‘open’ pad and as the hatchway slid up, four human-like beings rushed into the ship, their weapons drawn and pointed at Han.

“Hey! What is this?!?” Han shouted.

“Drop the blaster, now!” One ordered in a metallic sounding voice, he was apparently the leader. Han hesitated and the being brandished his weapon threateningly at Han. “NOW!!!”

Chewbacca roared and one of the group turned and shot a laser beam at the Wookiee. Chewbacca dodged and the white-hot beam slammed into the ships hull, making a smoldering crater.

Instantly the being holding his weapon on Han, knocked Han’s blaster to the deck. “What are you doing here?” He questioned gruffly.

“I’m here to pick up cargo.” Han looked at his blaster, mentally calculating his chances of reaching it.

The being nodded to the other three, each lowered their weapon. At a command from their leader, the three scattered throughout the starship.

Han took a step forward. “What the hell is going on here?!?”

“Searching your ship. Let me see your ships registration and Universal Pass. Han stepped back into the cockpit and reached inside a covered compartment on the flight console.

“Make sure only what I ask for comes out of there if you want your hands still attached to your arms.” The leader threatened.

Han moved slowly, handing the papers to the being, hoping he couldn’t tell they were forged. The being looked the papers over thoroughly..Han could feel a drop of sweat slip down his shirt collar. Chewbacca was silent and still as stone. The being looked the Corellian over from head to foot. “Han Solo.”

“That’s right.”

The being refolded the papers and handed them back as Chewbacca joined Han near the cockpit.

“We were informed you would be arriving.”

“Then why all this?” Han questioned, waving his arm in a sweep.

“Precautions. What you will be hauling is extremely important, secretive and……..dangerous.”

“And that is?” Han let the question hang in the air.

“Better you don’t know…you’re just the delivery boy.” Han bristled at being called a ‘boy’.

The other three beings reappeared in the cockpit hallway. “All done sir.” One reported.

The leader told Han, “We had to be sure there would be no double cross.”

“Didn’t see any places where the cargo could be housed.” One of the other beings told the leader.

The being winced. “We may have to delay the shipment…get someone else.”

“Seeing in his ‘mind’s eye’ the promised credits slipping away, Han said, “I’ve got cargo holds that can’t be discovered. And I’ve been boarded and searched a few times.”

“Show me.” The leader said.

“Han nodded to Chewbacca and together they moved to the grated deck plates, lifting one for the leader to inspect. “There are six cargo wells here.”

The leader huffed. “They looked pretty obvious to me..right out in the open.”

Han and Chewie dropped the heavy covering. “Just return vents for the ship’s air regulation.” Han gave a pause. “You didn’t know about them till I told you…and you were standing right on them.

The leader gave a smirk of a smile. “Guess you’ll do, then. Open the rest of the holds and we’ll get you loaded…want you gone within two orbit hours.”

The leader then nodded to the three standing by the hatchway. “Tell them they can load the cargo.”

The three left to carry out the order. Under the watchful eye of the leader, Han and Chewbacca removed the grated deck plates.

“Get your ship ready for immediate lift-off.”

Han followed by Chewbacca, worked in the cockpit until all that was needed for them to do when the cargo was loaded, was to take flight.

From the cockpit window, Han saw the three armed beings, with their weapons trained on six other human-like beings who were each carrying an approximately three meter square, red, metal box walking toward the ship. The Falcon’s pilots watched as the six positioned their boxes in the holds. That done, Han secured and locked the deck plates

The armed beings marched the six out of the ship.

“Here are your coordinates for delivery.” The leader held a palm readout for Han to see. “Vary your flight..don’t fly directly to this destination. When you are there…wait in your ship..you will be contacted. You won’t be given any other directions…you job will be finished.”

Han nodded in understanding and Chewbacca gave a moderate growl. “Any ship’s temperature or flight speed limits on the cargo?”

“Just treat it like any other cargo you haul.” The leader told him. He then held out a currency plate. Han took it and gave a slight gasp at the amount. “This is DOUBLE what was offered.” He said to the leader, who gave a slight smile….”she said you had a partner.” and nodded at

Chewbacca.

“Safe flight. Captain Solo. The being then left the ship and Han quickly closed and locked

the hatchway.

“Guess we’re on our way, Chewie.” Han said as he settled himself into his flight seat next to the Wookiee.

Seconds before lift-off, Han caught sight of the group outside the Falcon. The leader had lined up the six delivery beings and one by one, they were shot dead - execution style.

“Ridian’s Abyss, Chewie!!!” Han cursed. “Did you see that?” Chewbacca roared an exclamation. Han looked back at the grated cargo holds. “What the hell are we carrying?!?”

“Wonder if something like that is waiting for us when we deliver this stuff!

Han pulled the flight yoke and the Falcon lifted into the air.

On the ground, the leader watched the starship disappear into the atmosphere. He then looked at the six dead bodies splayed on the ground around him and said to the others;

“If he knew what he was hauling…..we’d be laying dead too.”

3. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Heya Hopeful!

Nice quick pace to this, and I like your dialogue style for Han. The cargo (and its owners) certainly seem dodgy to me. I wonder what will happen next?

You've tagged this as PT era (Prequel Trilogy) so I'm also wondering what the state of the galaxy is right now - are we in the midst of the Clone Wars? Han must be pretty young, but this is after he won the Falcon from Lando. Are you sure PT is right?

Thanks for sharing!

K

4. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Writer: Hopefulwriter

Rating: For everyone

Time Frame: Before the Original Trilogy

Summary: Continuing story of Han and Chewbacca’s first haul as partners.

BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? CHAPT. 3

The Millennium Falcon whisked silently through the dark shroud of deep space, leaving the Tri/Dod galaxy on its way to the coordinates Han Solo had been given on Loc Lam.

The pilot scanned the radar screen…. “No one within a half-parsec distance to us, Chewie.” He said slapping his partner on the shoulder. “I can breathe easier now that we’re away from that planet.”

A rumbled chortle escaped from the wrinkled-brow Wookiee as he scanned his own flight screen.

“I’m going to check out those coordinates, find out exactly where we’re going.” Han quickly punched in the numbers and watched as the computer responded. “Huh?!” Again, and this time slower, Han purposely pressed each button….the same result appeared on the screen. Han gave a deep sigh,

“Guess that’s it; Adaron-Gyr. That place is just as dangerous as the one we left.”

Chewbacca woofed an unsteady reply.

“Made you feel better, huh, pal?” Han teased. Chewbacca gave Han a half-sick Wookiee laugh.

Han sat silently at his console, chewing his lower lip, deep in thought as Chewbacca monitored the controls and readouts; the Falcon’s familiar thrum the only sound in the dimly lit cockpit. Han drew a slender, work-calloused finger across his chin, feeling the still somewhat sensitive scar. “We need a cover, Chewie.” Chewbacca gave his partner a questioning look. “Just in case we get boarded - we can’t just be flying a cargo ship with no cargo.” He reasoned, then answered the Wookiee’s woof… “We need to be carrying cargo someone can SEE.” Chewbacca gave Han an ‘Oh yeah’ look.

“You got a lot to learn about smuggling, fuzzy.” Han told him. “We get boarded, you let ME do all the talking!” He finished, pointing to his own chest.

Sometime later, Han flipped off the monitor. “We’ll go to Axiotta in the Peline system. There’s a hexopolis there and we’ll buy some tetra-ploid grain to transport to Eperon. That’ll be a good cover…hardscrabble little planet…they can always use grain to feed their citizens.” Satisfied about his new plan, Han turned to Chewbacca. “You take first rest. I can e-fline nap up here.”

Ships ‘dawn’ arrived with Chewbacca ambling down the hallway toward the Captain’s cabin. Han had already awakened, showered and was shaving at the lavatory’s basin; the LLD light razor sliding smoothly over the pirate’s face. At a knock on the cabin door, Han’s ‘Enter”, allowed the Wookiee let himself into the room. His eyes filled with fear and in three quick, giant strides was at Han’s side and with a swipe of his strong paw, knocked the razor out of his friend’s hand.

“Hey!! What the sluice are you doing?!” Han yelled, looking at the Wookiee. Chewbacca’s angry roars told Han what he thought. The smuggler gave a short laugh and bent down to retrieve the razor, checking
    to see if it still worked. “No, I’m not burning myself,” He assured the Wookiee, “I’m shaving… removing the hair from my face.” Han looked at his friend as he began running the purple light over his jaw once again… “something you don’t have to worry about…no telling how ugly a mug you got under all that hair.” Chewbacca cocked his head as he watched Han finish shaving. They were still learning each other, their habits, cultures and differences in their species.

“Murii in the Tegiunt system.” Han mused, looking over Chewbacca’s shoulder at his flight screen. “This close, why don’t we land, get some supplies…be a good diversionary move, too.”
    The Wookiee shook his shaggy head in agreement. Han guided the Falcon to a lower altitude in an orbit around Murii and grabbed the communication mic, “Millennium Falcon requesting coordinates to land on Murii.”

No response.

“Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon requesting coordinates to land on Murii.”

No response.

Han shook the mic and requested a third time.

Static cracked in Han’s mic and broken words came through…”Millenn……crackle…deny…crackle…

…request.”

Han gave a quizzical at Chewbacca.

“Repeat.” Han requested.

Millennium Falcon…, the sound was clearing, “deny request to land on Murii…disease… is spreading …around the planet.”

“Sorry to hear that.” Han replied. “Is there anything we can do to help?”

“There is medical help on the way. Thank you, Millennium Falcon.”

Han released the ‘receive’ button on the communicator. “We’ll have to find another supply stop.”

He told Chewbacca, as he scanned his monitor for the next closest planet.

The Wookiee woofed and pointed to a ship that had just entered his screen’s right field of vision. Han flipped over the screen on his console to view what Chewbacca was seeing. “Hope that’s another freighter….” Han said. He turned up the magnification on his screen hoping to see more details of the ship. “No, Chewie, I don’t think it’s a medical ship…going the wrong way from Murii.” The pilot continued to peer closely at the magnified ship on his flight screen.

“Zaryn’s Drop! Chewie.” Han swore, “That’s an Interstellar Guard ship! If they spot us, we’ll be boarded for sure!” Han slowed the speed of the Falcon and kept the ship steady. “Maybe we’ll just pass as galactic traffic.” The Wookiee gripped his controls tighter. “Relax Chewie. If we get boarded we have to act as innocent as new born babies!” The Wookiee chortled to himself that he was (“beginning to think Han wasn’t an innocent anything.)

“Just keep her flying.” Han told his partner as he left his seat. “There’s a few things I need to do if we have to welcome company.”

Chewbacca watched as the Guard ship loomed closer and closer and then flashed it’s light at the Falcon.

A roar brought Han back to the cockpit.

“I see it, Chewie,” Han said as he slid back into his pilot’s seat, fitting perfectly after a few years of practice. “We’re going to have an in-flight boarding; I have to ready the link-up…we’ll get taken in if we don’t comply.”

Chewbacca woofed a question. “Sure,” Han said as he deftly flipped switches and interlocked levers. “We could outrun them, but that would only arouse suspicion…once we’re boarded and cleared..no one else will stop us…we’ll have clear passage.”

The console communicator blared; Interestellar Guard…ready your docking-link. We’re coming aboard.”

Han pulled the hydraulic controls and the Falcon gave a slow shudder and a metallic scraping sounded through the cockpit.

The large Guard ship drifted past the Falcon’s cockpit - a ‘whirring’ from outside the ship signaled the Guard ship’s fittings locking with the Falcon’s catch-gear. Both ships rocked, then stilled. Han gave Chewbacca’s arm a reassuring squeeze. “Let’s go get this over with.” The two left the cockpit and positioned themselves on either side of the hatchway. Chewbacca reached for his bow caster. Han shook his head. “No weapons…we need to look harmless as possible.” He then hit the ‘open’ pad and the hatchway lifted.

Two armored guards boarded the Falcon, weapons drawn. Han glanced at the double blasters they held.

“Identify yourself.” The first guard ordered, pointing his weapon at Han. “Have the papers right here.”

He handed the documents to him. The other guard held his weapon on Chewbacca -- from a distance; he didn’t know what to make of the giant Wookiee.

“Han Solo.” The guard read from the paper. This ship’s the Millennium Falcon.”

Han shook his head.

“Quite a fast looking ship to be hauling cargo,” The guard commented. Han remained silent.

“You hauling cargo now?”

“No.” Han answered as the guard continued to closely look over the second identification document. “We’re on our way to pick up some grain.”

“You just unload somewhere?”

“Just dropped off medical supplies.” Han lied.

“Where?”

“Murii; got an epidemic there, so we dropped and left.” Han looked at Chewbacca who remained silent, following is partner’s lead.

“Got a manifest for that drop?”

“Officials wouldn’t clear us to land. Just made the delivery.”

The guard folded the Falcon’s documents and handed them back to the pilot. “Guess in a case like that, I’ll excuse the lack of records. That story can be checked out. Now, show us your cargo holds.”

“Back of the ship.” Han directed.

The guard brandished his weapon at Han. “You lead the way.” Han nodded to Chewbacca and they started down the hall, Han bristling…he didn’t like walking in front of anyone who had a blaster aimed at his back. Han and Chewbacca unlocked all the cargo storage rooms…all empty. The guard nodded. “Alright…back up front.”

“Here’s your clearance.” The guard handed an embossed card to Han. “It expires when you reach your next destination. Just give it to the dock officer. Han nodded.

The second guard stumbled…catching the toe of his boot on the deck plate grate. The first guard glanced toward the sound…

“What’s that?” He pointed to the deck plates with his weapon.

“Air circulation vents for the ship.” Han coolly explained.

The guard walked over to them, peering down through the grating. “Looks pretty deep to me…open it.” He ordered.

Han stood stock still…Chewbacca held his breath.. after a moment’s hesitation, Han said to his partner, “Give me a hand,” as he knelt down beside the deck plates, fully aware of the blaster pointed at his head.

5. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? CHAPTER 4

Time Frame: Before the Original Trilogy

Rating: for everyone

Summary: Continuing story of Han and Chewbacca’s first haul as partners

Han and Chewbacca held their breath as the leader nodded to the other, who stood by

holding his weapon on Han.

“Check it out.” The leader commanded.

The being moved to the edge of the opening, peering closely, then knelt on one knee and reached into it.

Chewbacca moved his body slightly and Han, almost imperceptively, gave an unsmiling nod.

“Nothing in there, sir.” The being told the leader, who remained silent for a long moment.

Satisfied, the leader spoke to Han. “You’re clean. You can replace those grates.”

Han nodded to Chewbacca who once again helped replaced the heavy deck plates.

“There’s been a lot of smuggling and illegal shipments in this area lately…have to check out everyone.. even you legal shippers. He told Han.

With a click, the deck plates were locked and Han stood and brushed his hands together, then placed them on his hips; Chewbacca took his place beside the hatch opening. “I understand.” Han replied.

“Sorry to have cost you some time, but we had to be sure.”

“We’ll make up the time.” Han assured him.

The leader nodded to the other as they made their way to the exit. “Remember to give that pass to the deck officer the next place you land.”

Han nodded, secured the Clearance card in a shirt pocket and locked the hatch when the two were gone. He leaned his head against the doorway and gave a deep sigh of relief.

Chewbacca moved to his friend and placed a paw on his shoulder.

“It’s alright, Chewie.”

They headed back to the cockpit and after settling in their seats, Han retracted the in-flight

boarding connection and set computer coordinates for Axiotta. Working his part of the flight

console, Chewbacca woofed a question. Han smiled and continued pushing buttons. “No, I

didn’t dump the cargo. I’m not going to give up that kind of pay. We’re still loaded.” He gave a wink to his partner. Chewbacca growled and shook his head, adamant to have an answer.

“Where‘s the cargo?” Han repeated the Wookiee’s question. He again smiled, and leaned

over closer to Chewbacca…. “Under your bed.”

“Give it just a little more power.” Han told Chewbaca as he settled in his pilot’s chair, cup of

hot kava in his hand. The ship’s ‘morning’ had dawned and Han realized they needed to make it

to Axiotta soon. He worked on his side of the console, consulting the astrological charts. “Hey, Chewie, we only have 4 more revolutions of Cerpel’s moon to carry out this job and we still have to deliver to Eperon.

Chewbacca pushed the power yoke and the acceleration could be felt. Stars, moons and asteroids

flew by and Han gave a light punch to the Wookiee’s shoulder. “Look over there.” Han instructed, pointing to the left. “That’s the Belarian Shell nebula.” Chewbacca watched in wonder as the nebula slowly changed color. “Been like that for eons.” Han told Him. The Wookiee shook his head, beginning to appreciate the phenomenons of space as much as his partner.

“There it is.” Han said a few ‘ship hours’ later. The planet was shrouded by clouds…flashes of

light snaking through them. “Lightning.” Han muttered. “It’s raining down there - hope we don’t get struck by a bolt.”

Chewbacca woofed a comment. “Lightning strikes the trees on Kashyyyx.”

“Let’s get below, carefully, cause we don’t know the altitude of those clouds, could be closer to the surface than we realize.” The Falcon drifted slowly down through the clouds, lightning flashing in front of them making Chewbacca flinch, the accompanying thunder deafening.

Han laughed. “It won’t get you, pal.”

Breaking through the storm, Han punched in coordinates to find a spaceport, while the location

was flashing on Han’s screen, a flash-bolt struck the Falcon, knocking it sideways.

“Bells of Nedu!!” Han cursed as he fought the controls to stabilize the ship; bells, buzzers and

alarms all sounding at once throughout the cockpit, causing Chewbacca to moan loudly and cover his sensitive ears against the din.

“You’re not helping any, Chewie.” Han complained.

One by one the alarms shut down as, under Han’s expertise, the ship regained its course. “Sure hope we don’t have any major damage.” Han quickly scanned all the readouts and found things

just about normal. “Let’s find that port fast and land.” He urged.

Continuing to scan the readouts as the Falcon swooped along the planet’s surface, the spaceport

soon came into view.

Millennium Falcon requesting clearance to land.” Moments passed and the pair exchanged glances. Han pressed the communicator, ready to request again, but was stopped by a response…”Millennium Falcon give us your specifications.” Han gave the specs and was given a bay location in which to land.

“We got it, Chewie. Let’s land and check out that lightning hit.” Han guided his beloved ship smoothly into the assigned bay. “Put her on low-stability power, Chewie, I want to get that grain and get loaded as soon as possible.”

The pair worked quietly together to partially shut down the Falcon. They left the cockpit, and after opening the hatchway, made their way quickly down the ramp and rushed to the side of the ship. Han spotted the bolt hit first. “There it is, Chewie.” He said pointing to the ten meter, blackened gash on the ship’s side. Chewbacca gave a low moan and placed a big, furry paw against the hull, as if to ‘comfort’ it.” He’d grown to love the Falcon too.

Han walked slowly around the side and noticed, no burned out wires or major systems compromised. Satisfied, he said to Chewbacca. “Looks like it was a glancing blow…no real damage.” The Wookiee gave a relieved woof.

Han stared at the gash, “You know, Chewie, it gives it a new characteristic…tough bird.”

“Hail Falcon!” The spaceport deck officer approached the bay; thunder fading in the distance.

“Come on.” Han started for the front of the ship, with Chewbacca following, and approached the uniformed man, extending a hand in greeting. “Han Solo, Captain of the Falcon.”

“Officer Elon.” The man took Han’s hand. “Your ship alright? We could see on radar you took quite an electrical hit.”

“Everything checks out fine.” He replied. “We’re here to pick up some tetra-ploid grain to haul to Eperon..can that be arranged?”

“It will take some time.” The man answered.

“Can you give me an estimate of the time?” Han questioned.

“How much grain do you want?”

Han thought the less they could carry without raising suspicion the better. “Just a couple of

Metric-tons. Others are taking supplies there also.” He lied easily.

Elon nodded his head. “Shouldn’t take more than five planet hours to get you loaded and gone, if time is of the essence.

“It is.” Han agreed. “Tell me the conversion of time from Universal.” The deck officer gave

the information and Han adjusted his chronometer. “Any place around here to relax, have a drink?”

“There’s a canteen, just outside the port. You should have a couple of dial revolutions until the grain gets here. You can supervise it’s loading.

“That’s fine.” Han told him. “Come on, Chewie.”

The two walked through the spaceport, Han taking note of the ships housed in other bays, as they passed pilots and shippers; some loading or unloading their cargo, others making repairs, some standing around and talking in various languages. Some gave the pair a nod of greeting, some suspicious glances, others turned their backs, not wanting to be noticed or recognized.

The rain had stopped and Han and Chewbacca walked around and stepped over puddles and mud

pits as they made their way to the large rock building. Passing through the doors, Han was surprise by the light in the large room. Most gathering places preferred shadows and darkness.

There weren’t many in the canteen…pilots, mechanics, a few female beings; some servers, others pilots. Han chose a side booth and the pair slid into the seats. “Look, Chewie, you just punch in these buttons and it gives your order.” Chewbacca gave a laugh and poked at the pad with a big furry paw, pushing several buttons at once. “You big dope,” Han laughed cancelling the order. “You can’t order everything.” Han punched an order for a bottle of ale and mugs.

While waiting, Han allowed himself to relax…he was just a hauler, receiving cargo to take to

another planet….just an average ‘jso’, just like the others sitting around, not thinking about the

strange cargo secreted away in his ship.

The server brought the order and Han asked, “Some way around here to get copies of documents?” The server thought for a moment, then pointed to a three armed being at

a side table. “Ijoem. He’s a scribe. He can help you.”

Han took a big drink of the mug Chewbacca had just filled and said, “Be right back.”

“You can copy documents?” Han asked as he stopped at the table. The being looked up,

one gray eye appraised the pilot from head to foot. He nodded a ‘yes’ and gestured for Han to sit.

‘What do you want copied?’ The being wrote on a slate and gave it to Han.

He pulled the Clearance Card from his pocket. “I need about a dozen of these.” Han hoped he wasn’t putting a noose around his own neck, he didn’t know if this scribe would do counterfeit

work, but he had to take the chance. The being took the card and looked at it back, front and sideways.. ran his third hand over the face of the card, feeling its texture, then looked back up

at Han, no expression on his face. Han gave a nervous swallow as the being began writing on the slate again. The being’s two hands held the slate for Han to read. ‘Seven-Hundred- Fifty credits for this work.’

“When can you have it done?” Han asked, “We leave in four planet hours.”

The being again wrote on the slate, ‘I will have them for you in one planet hour.’ The being stood, took the card and slid to the exit. “Guess I’ll wait here.” Han said to himself.

He rejoined Chewbacca at the table. “Let’s look around a while. We’ll come back to pick up

what we need here in about an hour.” Chewbacca nodded and downed his last bit of ale.

Walking through the spaceport settlement, Han and Chewbacca stopped at several booths,

looking over goods that were offered; books, ornamental metal work, foods, weapons,

robes, boots, plants, exotic fruits. Chewbacca picked up a gray, oblong piece of fruit, gave

the merchant a coin and bit into the flesh, enjoying the unfamiliar taste. Han watched as

female beings ushered their young ones through the booths and streets, seloms (earth like

cat creatures) darting in and around the booths and people, their primal screech nerve shattering.

Looking at his chrono, Han nudged Chewbacca, “We need to get back to that Canteen and then the ship.” The Wookiee gave a nod.

Once inside the canteen, Han glanced around the room, looking for the scribe and noticed him

now seated at the booth they had occupied earlier. Han slid into the seat opposite the being while

Chewbacca stood, scanning the room and doors.

The scribe began writing on the slate. ‘Here is what you asked for.’ And gave the packet to Han, which he opened and looked over as he counted; 13. He thumbed through the cards, “Which one is the original?” He asked.

The being smiled and wrote, ‘if you can tell, then my work failed.’

Han gave a wry smile, he had no worries. He reached into a pants pocket for credits and counted out the required seven-hundred and fifty, which he laid on the table before the being.

All three hands reached out to gather up the credits. That done, the being stood and slid to the back exit.

Han stuffed the Clearance Cards into his vest pocket. “Let’s get back to the ship, Chewie.”

They left the canteen, walking the street toward the spaceport. Panic gripped Han as he recognized a group of men walking toward the canteen. Corellian Military Enforcers!

6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I'm enjoying the slice-of-life of the early smuggling days along with the increasingly dangerous -- and I suspect, soon to become obviously "More Than They Can Chew" -- intrigues with their mysterious cargo and shady client(s). Someone really wants those boxes to stay hidden and it doesn't look good for our heroes once whoever's on the other end of this deal gets the delivery. Not to mention if this thing is so important, someone else might want it too, though it's too early to say if that will be a problem. [face_thinking]

It's fun to see how they both show their inexperience in some ways. Chewie's is more obvious at first glance. Though he's obviously catching on quick, there are the moments (like Han's shaving routine! [face_laugh]) that catch him off guard. Things like different bathroom arrangements are known to flummox people traveling between locations on this Earth, much less moving from one planet to becoming a traveler of more or less the whole galaxy. But Han is clearly an adorkable little baby smuggler too, reading between the lines. ;) His vocal surprise at their getting twice the pay expected was kind of priceless (shut up and take the money, silly). :p

Han's smuggler slang is really fun -- "Quad Devil of Nilbud", "Bells of Nedu", and so on! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016

Rating: G, for everyone

Time frame: Before the trilogies

Summary: Continuing story of Han Solo and Chewbacca’s first haul together as partners

BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? CHAPTER 5

Han stood stock still, not wanting to draw attention to himself, realizing if those Enforcers caught sight of the blood-striped pants he wore, they’d think him a deserter and take him in. He couldn’t let that happen, so he did the only thing he could think of.

The Enforcers, a group of six, uniformed and fully armed, were scanning the streets and booths as they slowly moved into the spaceport settlement. “Any of you guys ever seen a Wookiee?” The soldier at the front turned to the others; all shook their heads negative. “Look to your left, by the booth.” They were greeted by the sight of the large, furry species holding close and nuzzling the neck of a smaller being, who was completely covered head to toe with a dark gray, hooded cowl. The Enforcer at the head of the group said, “It takes all kinds.” The others chuckled and one commented as they passed, “Hate to see what their off-spring would look like.”

When Han felt it was safe, he threw off the robe. “Let’s get back to the ship and get out of here as fast as we can.” Chewbacca nodded and looked back as they quickly strode to the spaceport.

Back at the Falcon, Han was relieved to see the Tretra-ploid grain there and ready to be loaded. “Captain Solo.” The Deck Officer greeted, walking up to him. “How do you want this loaded?”

With a nod, Han directed Chewbacca to board the ship, then he and the Deck Officer made their way

toward the back side of the ship‘s hull. “Load it by tube connectors into the cargo holds.” Han directed as he unlocked the outer equipment box and with the help of one of the workmen attached the large nozzle into a cargo feeder port. The workman flipped the force-feed switch on the grain trailer and after a few sputters the grain began to flow into the ship’s hold. The Deck Officer handed Han a cargo manifest to be signed, then ripped off Han’s copy and as he gave it to him, the Corellian reached into a vest pocked, making sure just to pick out one, and produced a Clearance Card. “I forgot to give you this when we landed.” The Officer took the document, looked at it briefly then attached it to the manifest.

Han kept looking toward the hangar opening, then glancing back at the tubing to gauge the progress of the load. Pacing slowly, he commented, making the conversation seem casual, to the Deck Officer. “Saw some Corellian Enforcers near the canteen.” He was hoping the Officer hadn’t seen the unformed group and notice his own pants matched theirs. “They patrol here often?”

“I haven’t seen them yet. Enforcers don’t need any clearance to land. This would be the first time they’ve been here since I’ve managed this port, about three orbital years. Don’t know what could be going on for them to patrol out this way.”

Han drew in a deep breath and began pacing again, anxious for the loading to be done so they could
    leave.

The Deck Officer continued; you hear talk around town and in the canteen; something about political unrest somewhere and the rise of an Emperor. What we hear about other galaxies and systems comes from pilots who land here and by the time news gets to us, what ever happened is over.

Han, both hands on his hips - unconsciously and by habit, adjusted the blaster at his side. A loud growl issued from the ship’s hatch and Han walked to the hatchway. Chewbacca’s woof and growls told him the first hold was filled. Han nodded and loped back to the loading port.

A high, piercing scream of an approaching ship drown out what Han was saying and he motioned a cutting gesture to the workman, who stopped the grain flow.

The men watched the ship settle into the landing bay beside the Falcon. Han noted right away, by it’s

markings, that it wasn’t an Enforcer vessel. Telling them the first hold was filled, the workmen connected the tubing to the second hold and the loading process was repeated. Again, Han paced and kept glancing at the hangar opening, his fingers tapping on the butt of his blaster.

After some time the first workman yelled, “All loaded, Captain.” Han gave a wave of ‘thanks’ and turned to the Deck Officer. “How much for the grain?”

“Thirty-Five hundred credits.”

Han gave a wry smile, thinking, ‘it sure cost a lot to be a benevolent supplier’ as he gave the credit pad to the Officer to deduct the amount. That done, he was anxious to get the Falcon off planet. “Have a safe flight, Captain.” The Officer called to Han who was walking toward the ship’s hatch.

Han locked the hatchway after boarding and yelled a command to Chewbacca, then, heard the increasing power thrum of the Falcon’s engines as the Wookiee readied for lift-off. Han took his own pilot’s

seat and as he punched in information on his flight console, he caught distant movement through the cockpit window; the Corellian Military Enforcers were talking to the Deck Officer at the edge of the hangar. Worry knit his brow as he said to his partner, “Just as soon as we deliver this grain and those boxes, we’re getting out of this system.”

Chewbacca gave an agreeing growl.

Kahara likes this.
  8. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? CHAPTER 6

Chewbacca slowly padded to the cockpit, steaming cup of kava in each hand.

“You rest well?” Han asked accepting the cup from his friend. Nodding, Chewbacca settled into his oversized pilot’s seat then woofed to Han.

Han took a deep drink from his cup. “You miss Malla and Lumpy.” Chewbacca nodded. Han placed a hand on his friend’s furry arm, “We get this job done, we’ll go back for a visit. We’ve been out quite a while and with the money from this haul, we’ll have enough to take a break.”

Chewbacca smiled at his friend and asked, (“Don’t you miss anyone?”)

Han was silent, watching the flicker of the flight console, “I try not to think about it.” He finally answered. The pair gazed out the cockpit window at the endless expanse of black dotted by the twinkling of a million stars.

Chewbacca woofed and pointed out the window to his right. “Those are columns of space dust.”

Han told him, looking where Chewbacca had pointed. “Thousands of miles in length and they never move.” The pair continued to stare at the three, stationary columns suspended in space.

Han flipped the console readout for information. “We got two more revolutions of Cerpel to deliver the boxes. We’ll make it with time to spare even with stopping to drop off the grain on Eperon.” Han scanned the radar that displayed the expanse behind the Falcon. “Don’t see anything following. How about a game of chess? I’ll put on automatic and monitor from the lounge. Chewbacca gave a gruff woof.

“You just might beat me this time.” Han encouraged as he made the switch to automatic monitoring.

Seated, Han punched the start button and the colorful holo-images materialized on the board squares. “You take first move.” He offered to Chewbacca. A paw to his chin, the Wookiee studied the board then selected a figure to move a couple of squares, then looked up at Han.

“Nice move.” Han admitted, then positioned a figure to counter Chewbacca’s piece. The Wookiee gave a growl. “It was a legal move!” Han insisted. Again, Chewbacca moved a piece to answer Han’s move. They continued for several more moves and Han saw Chewbacca make a move he hadn’t counted on.

“Can’t let you get away with that!” He had two moves that would wipe the smile off his friend’s confident face. He took the first and Chewbacca let loose a frustrated growl and pounded the game table causing the figures to flicker. A buzzer on the monitor sounded and Han jumped to check it out.

“Nothing to worry about.” He told Chewbacca when he returned to the table. “Just a little

close to a passing meteor.” Reseated, Han saw that he had an opening that apparently his friend hadn’t noticed. He could win this game in one move. Smiling, taking his time to enjoy the coming victory, he slowly made the move which then grabbed Chewbacca’s piece and carried out the ‘kill’, causing the game table to sputter out and fade.. game over.

Chewbacca roared, stood and stomped from the lounge.

“Don’t be such a sore loser, you big baby!” Han laughingly called after him.

Once again at the controls, Chewbacca suggested (“You take first rest now.”)

“Appreciate that, pal, be back in a few ‘ship hours’. ‘Comm if you need me.” Chewbacca gave a an agreeing shake of his head.

Han walked to his cabin, closed the door and flipped on the light. Easing down on his bunk, he gave a relaxing stretch of his shoulders and back, then made his way to the lavatory for the necessary. Again settling on his bunk he removed his boots, stood, unlatched the blaster belt at his hips, and set it aside then shucked down to undershirt and underwear. Dousing the light, he slipped between the cool sheets and settled his head on the pillow. Closing his eyes, a fleeting thought crossed his mind, causing him to wonder again about the mysterious contents of the red boxes they were hauling. They weren’t very heavy; he’d found that out moving them and returning them back to the holds after they were boarded. A second thought passed his mind as he shoved his hands under his head….the question Chewie asked; ‘Don’t you miss anyone?’ In the dark quiet of his cabin, Han silently admitted to himself he missed a lot….the parents he’d shamed, his brothers and sister he’d disillusioned.. friends.. and the woman he’d planned to marry…he even missed the military, the comrades he’d made in the three time units at the academy. It was hard to believe four galactic years had passed…perhaps one day he’d have the chance to clear his name to those and his home planet. He turned in the bed, giving a tired sigh….until then, he was living the only life left to him….to survive.

Another deep shiver roused Han a few ship’s hours later and he clasped the blanket closer around his shoulders. He fully woke to the realization that was cold….very cold. Blinking his sleep drowsed eyes he said to himself, ‘It shouldn’t be this cold in here.’ Rising, and as he shivered, he quickly pulled on his clothes, stomped into his boots, then buckled on the blaster. Making his way to the cockpit, Han noticed a slight frost coating was beginning to form on some of the interior wiring. “Blast of Ertain’s Breech! Chewie! it’s colder’n than the farthest moon of the last planet at the edge of the universe in here!” He said as he entered the cockpit.

“Can’t you feel that?” The Wookiee gave him a ‘Are you serious?’ look. The Corellian gave a wry smile, “Your fur.” Han said as his friend chortled.

Han took his seat and punched buttons on the console… “It’s 29 degrees in here.” He exclaimed while processing another readout to check the outside temperature. “It’s minus 243 degrees. We’re gonna have some real trouble if we don’t get some heat in here soon.” He stood and turned to the ship’s air control panel, opening the access door. “Maybe it’s a power cell.” He said looking at each cell and pushing to make sure it was in place. “Not that.” He muttered under his breath, “Must be the wiring.” He looked closely at the jumble of multi-colored wires, then threaded his fingers through the maze to find the problem receiving a slight shock when his hand brushed across the live end of a broken one. Han muttered another curse under his breath as he opened the small-tool drawer under the panel box. Taking wire cutters, he soon trimmed and re-connected both ends of the wire…a click and blowing of air through the vents told it was working and he turned the thermostat up higher. “Should be warmer in a bit.” He closed the

control panel. “Someday, I’m gonna rewire this whole ship. Make some more upgrades.” Han commented as he took his pilot’s seat.

(“Why not just buy a new ship?”) Chewbacca asked.

“No.” Han replied as he drew a caressing hand over the Falcon’s controls. I’ve grown attached to this ship, she’s my home, security and livelihood. One day, I’ll outfit her like she deserves.

I’ll take over now, Chewie, you go make the meal for us.” The Wookiee nodded, rose and stretched his long legs walking toward the galley.

Han and Chewbacca were eating their ‘ships miday’ meal in companionable silence, the power hum from the Falcon the only sound. “I’ll configure Eperon when I get back in the cockpit.”

Han said to Chewbacca, once more filling his cup with the strong tasting kava. “There won’t be a spaceport or landing bays on that place. We’ve got the coordinates where to land to unload the grain. Haven’t seen hide nor hair of anyone following us, so those diversionary stops worked.”

(Any reason to expect trouble there?) Chewbacca asked. Han took a deep breath, “Not yet.

Things might look good now, but you know that could change in an instant.”

Back at their flight consoles, Han checked the needed information to land on Eperon. As the Falcon glided into the small planet’s atmosphere, Han commented, “It’s night there, not much light anywhere. We’ll have to be spot on the landing.” Still flipping switches, Han related to his partner, “No problem with air or gravity. We’ll make this drop and leave.”

The Falcon swept over the dark, dirt and rock laden land as Han watched the console. “There, Chewie.” Han said as the Falcon’s headlights shone on a clear place. The Wookiee pulled switches and help guide the ship to the ground. It took a bit of time to shut down the ship’s systems to landing mode.

In the hatchway, Han checked his blaster. “Take your ‘caster. Stay alert.” Chewbacca looped his weapon’s strap over his shoulder and nodded, then hit the ‘open’ switch and the hatchway lifted. Making their way down the boarding ramp, they waited for their eyes to adjust to the darkness. Han surveyed the area and noted three ships, of various sizes, but none Guard or

Corellian ships. At the same time Chewbacca lifted his head to sniff the air, Han caught the

aroma of smoke and saw a white spiral drifting skyward behind one of the ships. He tapped his partner on the arm and they headed in that direction.

The night was quiet; only the screech of a lone species in the distance was heard above the crunch of rock and dry ground under Han’s footfalls as he and Chewbacca rounded a ship.

They saw the flicker of the green-blue fire and several beings, not much unlike Han himself,

probably pirates, fugitives or just down right outlaws; a seedy, dangerous looking bunch, their whole lives could be read in the facial creases and scars they had, seated on an outcropping of rock around the light and warmth giving flames. The pair approached the others carefully. Han nodded to the group and noticed each grasped his weapon firmer.

“You got business here?” One asked.

“Have grain to unload, then leave.”

“We saw you come in. You Corellian military?” Another one asked, looking at the fire accented

blood stripes on his pants.

Han licked his lips before answering. “Not anymore. Hauling independent now.”

He watched as two passed a bottle between them, then held it out to him. Han gave a negative shake of his head.. He didn’t know what they were drinking and he wanted to have a clear head to finish business. “Who do I contact to unload. I got two metric tons of tetra-ploid grain.”

“I’ll call Dubbie for you.” A third offered, taking a communicator from his pocket.

Han shifted on his feet, stretching his hands out to the warmth of the fire; he didn’t want his fingers stiff and cold if he needed to use his blaster.

“Dubbie said he’d be here in a while.” The third told Han.

Han looked up into the sky, just a star or two twinkled dimly…even they didn’t want to be this far out.

“You have any news?” A fourth asked.

“We dropped medical supplies on Murri.” Han continued his story, knowing certain facts would check out. “Seems an epidemic is planet-wide, all’s under quarantine.” Chewbacca woofed softly in agreement.

“You hear anything out of the Hosnian system?” Han shook his head ‘no’.

The fifth one spoke, “I’ve been hearing something about an emperor, quite ruthless.”

“Don’t stay in one place long enough to hear much news.” Han told him.

“Heard he set up a Lordship and has already picked a leader to do his bidding. Wants to

rule the galaxy.”

Any comment Han would have given was drowned out by the approach of a primitive transport

hauling a large wagon. The slow moving vehicle stopped as Han approached. “It’s that

cargo ship, behind this one. Pull up to the back.” Han and Chewbacca walked to the Falcon.

The headlight on the old vehicle shined on the ship and Dubbie maneuvered the load-wagon

under the hull as Han directed. Han then unlocked the dump-flaps and the grain began to

spill into the wagon bed. Dubbie climbed down from the transport and made his way to where Han and Chewbacca stood. “This grain will be a big help to our settlements. How much is the price?” Han looked down at the small man. “There’s no charge for this shipment.” A weak, tentative smile crossed Dubbie’s lips. “You’re a good man.” Han gave a chuckle, “Don’t think you’d find many to agree with that.” He said as he gave Dubbie one of the Clearance Cards.

It took a while to release the grain and the old wagon just barely held it all.

Chewbacca got put out with Han because he made him sweep out the Falcon’s cargo holds.

“Have a safe voyage, Captain.” Dubbie called as the old transport lumbered into the dark toward one of the four settlements on the planet. Han gave a wave as he boarded his ship.

The pair sat in their seats. “Last leg of the haul, Chewie.” Han said as he prepared

for take-off. “We’re going to received the biggest pay day yet once we unload those boxes". Chewbacca pulled the yoke of the ship and the Falcon turned and once again lifted out into the vastness of space.

TO BE CONTINUED…..

Kahara likes this.
  9. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    BITING OFF MORE THAN THEY CAN CHEW? CHAPTER 7 FINAL

Hazy, multi-colored lights flashed before the Falcon as it slid silently through space on its way to Adaron-Gyr.

(“What is that?”) Chewbacca woofed to Han. He looked up from his side of the console and watched as the colors merged from one hue to another.
    “That’s magnetic herteroclites.” He explained, “The colors change when the magnetism pulses.” Han surveyed the area outside the cockpit. “Must be a system out there somewhere.” He could see nothing but stars twinkling and meteors streaking. “I’ll be glad when we get out of this galaxy.”

(“It hasn’t been too bad so far.” ) Chewbacca growled.

“No, but I can’t shake this feeling I’ve had since we left Eperon.”

The radar began to blip and Han flipped the switch to display full screen and after a few moments, commented. “I don’t see anything.”

(“Another malfunction?” ) Chewbacca asked.

“I don’t think so.” The Corellian continued to watch the screen, each blip signifying something drawing closer. Han licked his lips, a movement Chewbacca had come to recognize as a habit his friend exhibited when unsure.

(“Think you should fire a warning shot?”)

“Not until I’m sure it’s a direct threat to us.” Han replied. Then, after a few moments, “Why can’t I see the damn thing!” He cursed, slapping the side of the radar screen in frustration. The blips became faster and faster… “It right on us, Chewie!” Looking out the cockpit window in all directions, Han saw a dark mist rolling toward them. He bolted from his seat and rushed back

to the lounge to check the monitor there…the readouts were the same.

A growl from Chewbacca drew Han back to the cockpit - the mist was beginning to lighten and the stars could be seen faintly shining through it once again. Han began checking all the operating systems of the Falcon. “Everything’s normal, Chewie. The Wookiee gave a nervous mutter. Both continued to watch the floating mist and the readings on the console and after a while the radar stopped signaling. Han scratched his cheek, another habit with which Chewbacca was familiar.

“That’s gotta be debris from an implosion or explosion, something to make that mist move like that. Maybe those streaks weren’t meteors, but particles from the destruction of something - a moon, asteroid or a planet.” Han shook his head.

After a while, Han suggested. “You take first rest. We’ll be reaching Adaron-Gyr in about eighteen ‘ships’ hours. Chewbacca gave a nod and left the cockpit headed to his cabin.

“Made us something to eat.” Han called from the galley as Chewbacca passed. He handed a plate to him and they sat at the game table, eating in companionable silence. (“Can’t wait to get back to some of Malla’s good cooking.)Chewbacca commented.

“Yeah,” Han agreed, “This rehydrated food starts tasting like let-tac fodder after a while.” The meal finished and dishes put away, Han checked the readings and their progress, then suggested another game of holo-chess

. Chewbacca shook his head negative.

“Oh, come on.” Han goaded. “It’ll help pass the time.”

Again the Wookiee shook his head ‘no’.

“Just one more game.” Han insisted. The gentle giant gave a short sigh, then sat down again at the game table. Han activated the holograph and the images appeared on the squares.

(“You go first.”) Chewbacca said.

“A change in strategy, huh?” Han mused. They played in silence, the hum of the ship’s powerful engines the only sound as each concentrated, answering the other’s moves as the game progressed. “You’re getting better.” Han commented. The Wookiee put a paw to his mouth and shook his head. “Oh, no talking.” Han said. Chewbacca made a move that surprised Han and he shifted in his seat; he wasn’t going to let his friend get the better of him. After a particular good move by Chewbacca, Han found he was trapped. Long moments passed as Han chewed his lip, thinking…posing moves in his mind. Chewbacca growled and pointed. “I’m gonna move! Don’t rush me.” Han spat. More moments passed and Han fidgeted; there had to be a way out. He looked up at Chewbacca and moved a piece. With a roar of victory, the Wookiee’s man pounced, claiming Han’s piece. Game over. Chewbacca won!

Han slapped the table…first time he’d EVER lost a game of holo-chess. He rose and stomped out of the lounge, muttering under his breath, but hearing Chewbacca’s final comment…
    (“ Don’t be a sore loser.. you big baby!”).

Ship’s ‘morning’ dawned and Han showered and shaved in his cabin. Soon they’d have their mysterious cargo delivered and have more credits in their hands than they’d know how to spend.

Han made his way to the cockpit, a spring in his step.

“How you doin’,shaggy?” He greeted Chewbacca, settling in his seat. Looking out the cockpit, he saw the planet in the far distance---small, nothing distinctive about it; the colors of green, blue and brown sprinkled around the globe. “So, that’s Adaron-Gyr.” Han said as he punched in the coordinates. “We’ll be ground landing, Chewie.”

Guiding the Falcon lower, the ship entered the atmosphere and Han checked the air and gravity readings. “Just like home.” He commented surveying the landscape as hills, valleys, bodies of water and rocks passed under the ship. “That’s it, Chewie, set her down here.” Chewbacca pulled the power yoke and the hum of the ship’s engines lessened as it slowed. “Angle along those high rocks, but don’t get too close.” Han instructed. The vessel circled and landed in a flat area. The two worked to put the Falcon in stationary mode. When nothing more than a low thrum was heard, Han said, “I guess we wait. They’re supposed to contact us.” Han leaned back in his pilot’s seat, watching out the window for any movement.

Nothing stirred.

(“How about some kava?”) Chewbacca suggested. Han gave a nod and the Wookiee headed for the galley.

A slight movement of a green bush in the distance caught Han’s eye and he rose for a closer look. A slow moving probe broke through and was coming toward the ship.

Han called to his partner. “They’re checking us out.” Han continued to watch as the probe lifted and sailed over the top of the Falcon.

Han was pacing back and forth in the confines of the cockpit when Chewbacca appeared and handed him a cup. The Corellian took a deep gulp, then continued to pace. “I don’t like this, Chewie. We’re like sitting egees here.”

The crackle of the com-link sounded with a voice, “Captain….exit your ship.”

Han sat his cup on the console, motioning to Chewbacca. “Stay out of sight, but be ready.”

Han jerked the blaster from its holster; checked the charge, re-holstered then hit the open switch on the hatchway. His gaze swept the area as he made his way down the boarding ramp, stopping at the end….waiting.

Two humanoids and a large white-metallic droid stood several yards away from the ship. The older looking one approached Han.

“You made it here on time. You have all the cargo?”

Han stood, hands on his hips. “Came through without a hitch.”

“The droid will unload and move it.”

“I’LL bring out the cargo.” Han eyed them warily. “As soon as I know for sure you are the ones that are supposed to receive it.”

“Here’s the code.” The humanoid gave him the chit.

Satisfied, Han said. “I’ll hand the boxes out to you.” The humanoid nodded and Han retreated back into the ship where Chewbacca helped remove the deck plates and lifted out the boxes to Han.

“That’s all of them.” Han stated when the last box was placed on the ground. At a command from the humanoid, the droid lifted a box and slowly moved to secure it behind a large outcropped boulder.

“You did a good job, Captain.” The humanoids turned to leave.

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Han urged. The two looked at each other - silent. When neither spoke, Han prompted. “My pay…for delivery of those boxes…safely and undetected.”

The older took a step toward the smuggler. “The way we figure…your pay is our generosity in allowing you live, now that these,” he gestured to the red boxes littering the ground, “have been delivered.”

“That wasn’t the deal!!” Han spoke forcefully, his anger rising.

“Things change! You’re dealing with us now.”

With lightning speed, Han drew his blaster, leveling his aim on one of the boxes and sneered, “I don’t get what I want, you don’t get what you want!”

“NO! NO!” The other humanoid reached out an arm. “The emperor needs them!”

“QUIET!!” The older one commanded turning to shush the other.

“Those must be even more important than I realized.” Han said smoothly, keeping the blaster trained on the boxes. “Let’s talk about the original deal. I get my money - you get your boxes….

now what could be more fair?”

The humanoid who had spoken drew his weapon and fired. Han dodged the bolt and a shot from Chewbacca’s bow caster caught the shooter in the chest, killing him instantly.

“Thanks, Chewie.” Han called, his eyes never leaving the older humanoid or his blaster’s aim on the red boxes.

Stunned, the humanoid remained stock still. Silence crackled the air.

“Just give me what’s due and I’ll be gone.” Han hissed. No sound was heard and nothing moved….even time stood still.

“Give him the money. He’s earned it.” The female Han recognized from the cantina came into view from behind a boulder, her silver hair glittering in the light. She walked up to the smuggler; she was nearly tall as Han. As she circled him, she drew a hand from his shoulder to his hip before removing it. “We may want to use him again.” She rejoined the older humanoid.

“But he knows he delivered them here.”

She faced Han once more. “We won’t tell he was here and he won’t tell we were here.” She glanced pointedly at Han. The Corellian raised an eyebrow at her.

“There.” She said sultrily. “We’re agreed.”

The humanoid hesitated only a moment before, under the gaze of the female, reaching into a tunic pocket and producing a metal-plated oval. Nervously pursing his lips he moved to the smuggler and held out the oval which Han took from him.

“There, Captain.” The female began our business is completed.

“Nice doing business with you.” Han gave a crooked smile and moved the blaster from the box to the humanoid’s chest as he back up the Falcon’s boarding ramp. The Wookiee, witness to

all that had transpired, moved aside and Han slapped the hatchway closed, then holstered his weapon. “Let’s get out of here, Chewie.”

The female and humanoid watched as the starship powered up and lifted from the planet’s surface; their gaze riveted until the vessel was swallowed up by the star studded blackness of space.

The droid began moving the rest of the boxes into a starship for transport. “The emperor will be please to receive these.” The female commented. The humanoid asked, “Do you know what is in the boxes?”

“Energy cores…they are designed to greatly multiply the power of a weapon. The emperor has commissioned the building of a super weapon…one that can be used in space.. that will travel on its own.

“A flying weapon?”

“It will be used to ‘encourage’ other systems and planets to join the newly formed Galactic Empire…and if they refuse, they will be destroyed…completely. The female explained with an evil glint in her slit eyes and a twisted smile on her face.

“A weapon that’s able to destroy a whole planet?” The humanoid was aghast at the thought.

“A Battle Weapon?”

The female took a deep breath; she had ‘inside’ information she was about to declare.

“It will be called…..a…. Death Star.”

Kahara likes this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Yowzers! If Han Solo ever finds out that he delivered vital parts for the Death Star.... he is gonna be ticked! :mad:

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    So it's not the Wookiees that are sore losers around here. :p Now the truth is revealed!

Talk about your dramatic irony. :eek: As Cowgirl Jedi 1701 said, Han is going to be furious if he ever figures out exactly what it was that he delivered there. But that does tend to be a side effect of working on the fringe -- you may really never know who you're working for...

Ewok Poet likes this.