main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

black fleet crisis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dialect, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dialect

dialect Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    is it a good read?

is it worth it?

and should i try to get it, or is it not that relevant in story lines?

thanks for any help

2. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I found it a good read, although a lot of them will disagree.

It provides a different look into the New Republic military and government. We get to see the inner workings of each, and the trials and tribulations peoples go through in each respective branch.

I recommend it to you.

3. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I loved it. It was a very good plot, though the end isn't too great. The main plot is awesome, while Lando's side plot was interesting and good too. Luke's plot wasn't too good, but it's still all right reading. Luke's plot is kind of hard to follow, and you can see why after reading why it wouldn't work.

I think it's important to the arc, because this is the series where the New Republic finishes that transition from rebels to government, and you can see how that creates new problems.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Dialect...
    "Is it a good read?"
    Well, I actually did not enjoy it the first time I read it. However, I reread it again a couple of years later and now have a much better opinion of it. For what it does, it does well. However, there are still portions which I think could've been done differently. The big picture - the positives far outweigh the negatives.

"Is it worth it?"
    Yes.

The first time through, it took me a long time to make it through Shield of Lies and Tyrant's test. However, I'm glad I did.

You may enjoy it on the first reading, and get much more enjoyment on successive readings. Or, it may take you a couple of times. :)

5. borskfums371

borskfums371 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    Other than Luke's entire side quest, it is a very good story. Not very important overall, but still good to read.

6. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I warn you though, the parts with Lando just wandering around that ship WILL put you asleep.

7. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    The military aspects of the series are quite good. The political aspect is also handled well. Lando's plotline is hit and miss, and Luke's story is pretty bad. About halfway through the second book, I started skipping the Luke sections. The author very nicely grouped them together for easier skipping. :D :p

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    That's funny, I found the Lando parts to be the best of the series.

When I read them for the first time, I didn't like them at all, but nowadays, I absolutely love them.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    2/3 yes

yes

yes

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    The Lando sections are also my favorite. His whole quest is very remniscent of the mystery of the Sharu temples in Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Personally, only Tyrant's Test is worth reading. However, you need to make up your own mind about this trilogy. Which means read it and decide for yourself.

12. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    In Shield of Lies, skip the Lando section(maybe even the Luke section) or you will find mind wandering and not really paying attention to the story. In other words, that section is boring.

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the series was very good except for Lukes wild goose chase.

I read them again recently...anybody else find parrallels to Yvethra and the Vong?

just an observation

14. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    No, do not skip the Lando section. It was virtually the only thing worth reading in the whole book.

15. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    Make up your mind people!!!!

Lando or no Lando????

Nil Spaar was one Bada**. . . . . great Star Wars moment when he was beating up Han Solo. Some great stuff.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Lando's story rocks, plain and simple.

17. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I wish more of K-Mac's military stuff made it to other novels. We see alot of his political ideas and views of Coruscant in the NJO, but only Luceno has made any references to the military aspects of the trilogy. I always liked Brand.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I'm glad that a lot of his stuff has made it into the NJO novels. Well, the Luceno novels, that is.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "I read them again recently...anybody else find parrallels to Yvethra and the Vong?"

Finally, somebody besides me noticed that!

I LOVED the BFC. I enjoyed the politico-military intrigue. I enjoyed that the villains WEREN'T the Empire, some Dark Jedi of the Week, or some Imperial/Dark Jedi barmy out to kidnap the Wonder Twins & Atom Anakin. BFC marked the beginning of Luke's changing attitude towards the Force, NOT the Thrawn duology as some would believe.

And for Salma's sake, Chewbacca was a MAJOR character!!!

20. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I liked that too. And he actually got to talk to. Someone pointed out that he's usually like Lassie in most of the books.
    Ex. In most books.
    Chewie. Rwooorrrrrrr
    Han: What chewie, Jacen fell down a well?
    Chewie: Rwoooooorrrrr
    Leia: I think he wants us to follow him
    Not so in BFC.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, Chewie was barely in the first book, and he wasn't in the second book at all. Only in the third book do we really get to see him shine.

22. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Thats A LOT better than the first book of the NJO when we get to see him die.

But I think there may be a way for them to spin him back to life... it won't happen though.

23. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I have made up my mind. The only parts I found actually intresting enough to keep me from nodding off while reading the first two books were the parts with Lando, Lobot, and the droids. Well, those and the Chewie parts. The only thing McDowell did real well in his books was write Chewbacca. Unlike most authors who don't seem to know what to do with the Wookiee, McDowell actually had an idea how to use him. But for the most part these books were far too concerned with politics, something that was not before or since a major plot for Star Wars (with the possible exception of Cloak of Deception, which I'm unforetunately having to wait for in paperback to find out about). Politics has always been more a means to support the plot, not the plot itself.

24. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    The only part that bugged me was Luke sitting out of the battle in the End. I thought that was just BS. The Luke Skywalker I picture wouldn't sit and watch while his friends went into battle. Other than that I thought the books where very good.

25. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Yes, it is a good read especially for older people becasue it is more politically complex than the other novels. If you're into SW EU just for the action then you may not enjoy it as much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.