main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN Black Friday - a.k.a. Dark Side Day - Lesson In Greed

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Well the collective need for low price objects (crap) has led to the trampling of a Wal-Mart employee somewhere in Long Island, New York. A 34 year old man lost his life so shoppers could grab those - oh so - important trinkets. It is Wal-Mart's fault and the fault of a greedy crowd gone rabid with shopping frenzy. This christmas related nonsense can be harmful to your health. Just one more reason I'm an atheist. My thoughts go out to the family of that Wal-Mart employee.

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hear, hear.

It's at this time we could all use a reminder on Wil Wheaton's primary rule of life:

3. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Greed - yes
    Rabid - yes
    Ridiculous - yes
    Frenzied - yes
    Walmart - should have had more security
    Crappy trinkets - yes
    Tragic - Most definitely

Christmas's fault - Not on your life

4. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    LOL!! Very true!

5. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    The people in line were NOT there for religious reasons, trust me.

The closest that God had anything to do was an occasional "God damn it get outta my way!" or a "Jesus Christ!"

Trying to blame or connect Christianity/Jesus is like blaming the Orville and Wilbur Wright
    for a commercial jetliner crashing.

Loosely connected at best.

6. TI9362

TI9362 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2003
    I don't think Kesh was blaming Christmas, in fact he said specifically it was Wal-Mart and greedy shoppers' faults.

7. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    Ok, I think he may have re-edited but we were speaking about the topic of his post (during PCMN) and he said it was Christmas's fault (at PCMN and AI thought here too).

Regardless and even more important is the fact that I have a can of Gold Star for you and I haven't eaten it...

yet

8. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    I don't want this thread to get out of hand. We shouldn't be attacking each other (and I'm obviously not). I thought my response was pretty mild...and funny like Kev said :p

9. Mike-El

Oct 16, 2006
    Hi Scott, glad to see you posting again.

The thread kinda spilled over into PCMN lastnight where we discussed it at greater length rather civilly.

As a person who has his own religious beliefs it gets tiresome to hear that the religious beliefs I hold are nothing more
    than some fantastical self-delusional mythological belief cause it's wet wired into my brain.

I get used to that "constant reminder" but I see a Wal-Mart associate trampled to death cause they (inner city customers) might have that fleeting chance of
    being able to purchase items that their unfortunate income prohibits them from enjoying, and it's blamed on the religious aspects
    of a holiday. I feel the need to stand up and point out that MAN has this one pinned squarely on their shoulders.

I realize that we have a varied belief system, Catholics to Atheists and I respect all beliefs or non beliefs regardless if they are in line with mine or not.

I just hope that my beliefs will be treated with as much respect and sincerity.

10. capnfatpants

Mar 20, 2006
    Would it be wrong of me to mention that the "inner city" folk I'm familiar with have big-screen TVs, X-Box 360s, huge DVD and CD collections, spinners on their cars, and wear really expensive sports-wear, aren't employed or are employed at minimum wage-jobs and still manage to have all this stuff... Oh, am I profiling? Sorry. [face_laugh]

Yes, I know there are some people who truly do go to these sales because of what Mike-El said. And it's sad and sickening that someone DIED because someone wanted a good deal on a dustbuster.

I just wanted to rant a bit.

11. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    I don't know about the customers, but the Wal-Mart wasn't what I'd call "inner city", to be honest.

Does anyone NOT see this sort of thing happening at the East Side location? Apart, obviously, from the fact it HASN'T happened yet ...

12. WedgesOtherNephew

Jun 6, 2002
    Unlikely, but I guess after what happened in Long Island anything's possible. If the crowd were THAT BIG (we don't have the dense population of anywhere in New York), and the crowd THAT FRENZIED, and appropriate security measures not taken...

13. capnfatpants

Mar 20, 2006
    It's more likely something would happen in the line, or out on the lot. That morning while I was at work we had a couple of calls of people driving recklessly and speeding through the Best Buy parking lot that morning. We often get calls of people fighting in the lines (we didn't this year though). Stupid Stuff like that.

14. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Now you mention it, I had a friend who got hit by a car in the Wal **** parking lot. This wasn't during the Xmas season [EDIT: I have been corrected. This was apparently last Xmas. However he did have a close call AFTER last Xmas, and I think that's what I was thinking of.] or even within the past year, but he was walking through one of the empty handicap spaces, the ones at a perpindicular angle to the rest so handicappers can just pull in, and he noticed an old guy waiting to pull in, so he started hurrying up. Then this stupid bee eye tee see aych pulls around the old guy and parks there, hitting my friend in the leg. He slammed his fist down on her hood and her response was "You shouldn't have been walking there.

He stood right in front of her car and directed the old guy around her into the space. He was a moron in not getting her licence plate and possibly insurance info. Also, possibly calling the po-pos :p

15. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Stacky, did you just use the term "handicappers?"

(face palm)

Off to job helping the handicappers...

Jammies

16. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Think of it as an amalgamation of Handicap Drivers -> Handicappers :p

17. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't see what the big price deal was. If morons had been watching, most of the stuff on sale Black Friday has been close to that price for a month and will get cheaper as CHRISTMAS gets closer and stores try to save their arses. The problem is not the holiday or the sale, but the direction to the bottom society has taken concerning others. Most people don't give a **** about anyone outside of what they want and if someone gets trampled to death in the process, then so be it, he should have moved out of the way faster. These are Roman days my friends and as person who wrote many a thesis on the collapse of Rome as a history major, we are mirroring their moral and societal decay very closely and will soon find the barbarians beating down our gates (they are already).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.