main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BLACK HAWK DOWN

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Rogue_Squad_Leader-, Dec 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaKoon

BobaKoon Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 2, 2001
    Are you talking about Eric Bana? Only Aussie I know in the movie. (of course I honestly have no idea what you're talking about). :(

2. BobaKoon

Sep 2, 2001
    Fitting no one bothers to post a week before the movie comes out in wide release.

Well, at least I'm here *hears echoing of my own typing* Yep.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I finished the book about two weeks ago, and I really loved it. The movie looks amazing and I cannot wait 'til the 18th. Does anyone know who Ewan MacGregor and Tom Sizemore play ? Just curious...

4. BobaKoon

Sep 2, 2001
    Ewan McGregor plays a mix of people. The main person his character is based upon is someone I'm not mentioning from before (just so his name isn't released more than it is - you can read the third page). Let's just say he plays the main company clerk that isn't Gallentine in the book. As for Tom Sizemore, he plays McKnight. Of course, I thought it would be more punny if he played Dale Sizemore, but that's just me.

E! is going to show behind the scenes of Black Hawk Down Thursday, the 17th at 6:00 pm est for anyone who wants to watch.

5. BobaKoon

Sep 2, 2001
    Why don't we up this so those that post in the other BHD thread can post here too. I hope this helps.

6. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    I can't wait to see this movie...

:D

7. Darth_Racer

Darth_Racer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    A company of M1 tanks & Bradleys would have been very beneficial in saving Ranger & Delta lives....I don't think we'll make that mistake again. We better not.

8. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    awwwwraaaattt...just 2 days to go !$!!@$$#!@

9. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    How many of you are going to see BHD ?

10. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    I read the book years ago, and loved it. However, from what I've read of the movie it's pretty much all pro american and is basicly nothing but gore. I am yet undecided if I will see it in the movies, although if I don't I will at least rent it...

11. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    One day to go !!!

12. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    What's wrong with a movie being Pro-American ? I don't trust reviews by CNN (Communist News Network)...from my research, it looks like it's gonna be great !

13. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    As an entertaining film it's a success,but as an accurate attempt at history,it's hollywood garbage again !!!

14. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    ((Rant Mode On))

Well you see DR most people in the U.S. and to a large degree outside the U.S. have been indoctrinated into thinking that just about everything that the U.S. does is evil and that even things we consider good are driven by evil motives so are are really evil.

What is sad to me is that the moment a movie shows something to be considered "pro-American" it must be immediately saturated with counter points to that or it is consider flag waving BS. Yet movies that highlight bad things about America are never really held to the balance standard. In addition people tend to view what they consider "pro-American" movies in a vacuum, as though no other country has made a movie which presents a historical occasion in a favorable light to their particular interest additionally they do not seem to mind the obvious bias in anti-American movies. I find the insistence that American film makers need/should show the contribution of the rest of the world, for example the Russian's contributions to the defeat of the Nazis in World War 2, yet another exampe of a double standard. The same critics that site the American exclusion of Russian contributions ignore the fact that there has yet to be a Russian movie made highlighting the contribution of the American forces to the defeat of the Nazis and the Japanese. As it can be said, there is a huge hypocritical double standard applied to the United States and the American culture, but to a degree it is understandable as everyone attempts to get at the most dominant entity at the proverbial top no matter the field.

I accept that Americans have done bad things and will continue to do so. I know that the US was even founded in the midst of great evils. Yet I can also see that every culture and nation throughout history has had its good as well as its bad. I see that the America did not invent the evils in the world and that we are not the only ones doing wrong. Things such as slavery, genocide, and war despite the fact that we have partaken in them are not American inventions.

On the other side of things I can also accept that many people through out history that come from other countries have done wonderful things, developed rich cultures and deserve recognition for such things. I know that America is not the birthplace of everything that is good in the world.

In closing I just want to go on record as saying to people who are not Americans or who are Americans but engage in a great deal of self hate the following:

Just becuase I love America does not mean I hate other countries. Just becuase I love learning of the good that America has done, does not mean I totally dismiss the countributions of others or the evils we have done as well. Just becuase I am proud to be an American does not mean I do not think others should have pride in their country.

((End Rant Mode))

As far as Black Hawk Down is concerned I knew it was destined to be criticized for being pro-American, and even racist. And it is sad really. I also knew that people would find historical inaccuracies. But what movie, book, play, etc. have ever been able to hold to absolute historical accuracy?

I look forward to seeing the movie as my brother just entered into the Ranger training school and I would like to at least get a feel of what he might go through.

15. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    I disagree.

16. TravCon12

Aug 7, 1998
    You disagree with me DR? If so please expound on your disagreement.

I will read it, however I will probably not engage in a huge debate over it, as I recognize that attempting to change someones heart in matters such as these are usually huge exercises in futility.

17. Darth_Racer

Jan 9, 2002
    oops ! I meant to say that I agree with Travcon12 and disagree with Lavjoricso...
    If America didn't exist, the world would be a much more depressing place to live in...we probably would have some "Emperor Palpatine"-type leader ruling us with an Iron Fist....and no place to hide from the terror.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Don't mean to interupt but..

Is anyone in here interested in playing the Mafia game? We need 5 more players before we can start.

P.S. I haven't seen Black Hawk Down yet but i will.

19. BobaKoon

Sep 2, 2001
    People will view this movie in more than one way, like the book. I, personally, found the book not-very-pro-American and not in the least bit racist (seeing how they had both the views of the Americans and the Somalians in the book, though granted the movie probably lacks the latter). Though I'm not against any pro-american type movies, I just don't think a situation where America sends troops in, they end up with 18 dead and release the hostages they were supposed to capture gaining nothing, is the perfect fit. I probably got off of the topic somewhere, but that's just my opinion.

20. BobaKoon

Sep 2, 2001
    Hey! What exactly do you mean the world will be depressing without America? I mean, I live there, but don't you think other countries have enough knowledge and resources to exist. I don't think other countries are that dependent. (Don't get me wrong, I still think America's great :) )

21. lavjoricso

May 25, 2001
    Black Hawk Dawn is another fine example of Hollywood messing with history and fact.
    Beyond a prologue which portrays the US involvement in Somalia as an attempt to defeat some warlords who were hoarding food aid,theres really no serious examination or portrayal of the hows and whys,or the rights and wrongs of their brief involvement in this African State.
    You will see a Hollywood drama about American courage and bravery,but what you want see is the fact that this mission was a monumental cock-up from start to finish,rapidly followed by a failure of nerve on the part of the clinton administration,when America packed up and fled Somalia after the disasterous operation - a lack of resolve that apparently fed Osama Bin Laden's fundamental belief in American weakness.

22. TravCon12

Aug 7, 1998
    Well without America who would the rest of the world blame for their problems?

The world would go on without America, however I probably would not. On the positive side I do not see the world getting rid of us any time soon, so I got plenty of time.

23. TravCon12

Aug 7, 1998
    I will agree with you there Lav.

I think that had the incident in BHD occured under a republican administration Scott would have played up its part in the total screw up surrounding the whole thing. Scott and the producer were even quoted in an article that when asked why the Clinton administration resposiblity in the BHD incident was left out almost entirely, Scott said something to the effect that he was focusing on the human experience of the soldiers and not the political implications. I think again that had alot to do with Scott's political alignment, but I could be wrong.

I bet you however if Oliver Stone had made the movie BHD, theincident would have been somehow been a conspiracy between Newt Gingrich, the CIA and the military industrial complex whose ultimate aim would be making the CLinton admin look bad and getting the government to order more military equipment.

24. lavjoricso

May 25, 2001
    If Scott would have told the whole story,he wouldn't get as many American bums in seats,which is all wrong.
    If your going to spend millions on a story,at least tell it as it happened .

It just puts BHD up there with the likes of U5-17 !!!

25. TravCon12

Aug 7, 1998
    I wouldnt go that far Lav. But to each his own.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.