main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Black is the new... black?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I was just browsing an EB Games catalog, and on the back page is a list of all the consoles and prices they offer for trades. Next to each console is a little picture of it.

360 - black
    PS3 - black
    Wii - black
    DS - black
    PSP - black
    PS2 - black

They all look so dull next to each other like that. I know some come in white, and the DS comes in other colours, but really, why does everything have to be so black?

I've love a little orange 360.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Black consoles collect too much dust. I have to keep some Swiffer handy for my poor PS3 Slim. 360 Pro and original Wii look great.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    because it has to be able to fit into decor of a house if it's a console and not a handheld thing. what colors do that easiest? black, grey/silver and white. simple logistics. you don't see TV's different colors, so you won't see gaming consoles any thing else standard. they do have the special ones, like the FFXII one for instance, and the face plates that you can get.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it also helps them blend in with the majority of other electronics- DVD/BRD players, cable boxes, etc. Given that the PS3 in particular is pushed more for it's BRD functionality than gaming options, it shouldn't be surprising.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Sure, but why are we so obsessed with blending? The Gamecube and original Xbox did pretty colours, it's just a shame that more consoles don't break out of their black and white shells.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    the original x-box was black... with green highlights. that's pretty much majority black.

i don't really disagree with you, i'd like something different as well, but from a marketing perspective it doesn't make much sense.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Just think of the possibilities!

[image=http://j.imagehost.org/0423/red-xbox.jpg] [image=http://j.imagehost.org/0760/silver-playstation-3-japan.jpg]
    [image=http://j.imagehost.org/0971/Colors_qjgenth.jpg] [image=http://j.imagehost.org/0176/360s2.jpg]

8. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I can see that red 360 slim you have in the bottom right be shipped in a bundle with the next PGR. It looks kinda Ferrari.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The GCN launched in black too- and was derided/mocked for years for the awful purple color. Eventually they had the gorgeous platinum Metroid one added.

I think the main thing is- too many colors on the actual console can sometimes can give the impression of it being more of a "toy" than "consumer entertainment electronics". The N64 had trouble with some of that impression towards the end when it was available in almost every color.

And white systems fit the general "tech gadgety" vibe made popular by the iPod and other Apple products this past decade.

Personally I prefer either grey/silver (has the old school 80's futuristic technology vibe that the NES and (to a lesser extent) the SNES had) or black (ala N64 and GCN). Just looks generally better, IMO.

I WISH they had the black Wii at launch- before the launch I remember a gorgeous image of a black Wii with 4 metallic red wiimotes to complement it and it looked absolutely gorgeous.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm so glad I waited almost 4 years before considering getting a Wii. :p If I do get one it will definitely be the black.

11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Wait... you don't have a Wii? :p

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    this is nothing new. Black is awesome, but I am kinda bias on the matter. hahahahaha

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I guess the oldest consoles were also black. At least they got rid of the fake wood paneling. :p

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea wood and puke-green was the decor style of the 70's.[face_sick] [face_sick] [face_sick]

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Not sop fast, that's coming back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.