main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Black Luke

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Minela, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    This is probably a stupid question, but why does Luke wear black in RotJ. I know clothing always has meaning, in ANH Luke wears white to establishe himself as the hero and opposite of Vader, in TPM Obi Wan and Qui Gon wear similar clothing to symbolize their harmony, in AOTC Anakin is in dark clothing to forshadow Vader and to show the lack of harmony and rebelion towards Obi Wan. So why does Luke wear black in RotJ, I mean he is still good, and he doesn't turn to the dark side. Is he supposed to mirror Vader for some reason? To perhaps symbolize some harmony between Luke and Vader?

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It shows how much he's changed since ANH.
    ANH=White
    ESB=Grey
    RotJ=Black

Additionally, we are supposed to notice the similarity to Vader here. In Anakin's case, he chose the darkside at this juncture. Luke is in the same spot, but he chooses good.

3. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    i think it "s a prettz good explanation

4. gothman

gothman Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    Black goes with everything. It is classic and timeless.

5. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    In light of what we have come to know from the Prequel films, it would have been interesting to have seen Luke in traditional Jedi robes, as if an indication of the Return of the Jedi(order).

I would like to see someone create a picture with Luke in the traditional Jedi robes

Darth Sin! :cool:

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Because he is a bad***.

7. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>it would have been interesting to have seen Luke in traditional Jedi robes<<

Actually, I think they were traditional (except the PT has screwed that up).

Obi and Yoda both wore the same style outfit (in brown not black) under their "hermit" robes.

Frankly, I find it a major storytelling problem that Obi is "hiding out" wearing "traditional" Jedi garb. That's real "inconspicuous", even on a backwater world.

8. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Ask and ye shall receive. I made this quickly... so it is a bit cheesy:

http://usera.imagecave.com/KennyT/luke.jpg

9. cmbrown15

cmbrown15 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Black, in addition to going with everything and being timeless, is also slimming.

10. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    Frankly, I find it a major storytelling problem that Obi is "hiding out" wearing "traditional" Jedi garb. That's real "inconspicuous", even on a backwater world.

The Jedi are extinct, though, at this point. Most beings have probably never seen one, and certainly not one as shabby-looking as Ben. Remember, the Jedi chose simple robes as their garb because it's so similar to the poor and peasantry of the galaxy.

11. Tsu-Jii

Tsu-Jii Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Up to now, I thought it was because it makes him look older, more serious (similarities to a priest!) and less the innocent farm kid he was in ANH and ESB.

But your explanation sounds much better,DS615. Although I´m not so sure that GL after all the obvious discontinuities between the classic trilogy and the Prequels showed continuity with something like clothing;-)

12. TheBourneTrinity

TheBourneTrinity Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Yeah. I agree. But I also think Luke wears black to symbolise himself as a target of the dark side because vader and palp want him to join or die. It's sort of to symbolise the mystery of his fate. Will he join or fight it?

13. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    Thanks, that helped. I think it was a choise to put Luke in black, and it does symbolize something, it is not to make him look better or sliming.

And the Jedi do dress to blend with the poor and not to be recognized, remember Anakin only recognized Qui Gon to be a Jedi after he saw his lightsaber.

14. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't forget that Uncle Owen wears very similar clothing to that as well. Before the PT, I always assumed that was what people of Tatooine wore. Not Jedi.

15. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    ^^True, also kid Anakin wore something similar to Yoda in ESB and ROTJ.

16. diablovader

diablovader Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    He chose black that way he could show he was the son of vader but was good. Plus black is a color color.

17. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    After reading the novelization of RotJ, I found out that Luke was in sort of a state of mourning. Symbolicaly I mean. Perhaps that is why he chose to wear something that reflected his mood.

18. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    That's the outfit George Lucas told Mark Hamill to wear.

19. Go2doug

Go2doug Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    why does Luke wear black in RotJ. I know clothing always has meaning, in ANH Luke wears white to establishe himself as the hero and opposite of Vader, in TPM Obi Wan and Qui Gon wear similar clothing to symbolize their harmony, in AOTC Anakin is in dark clothing to forshadow Vader and to show the lack of harmony and rebelion towards Obi Wan. So why does Luke wear black in RotJ, I mean he is still good, and he doesn't turn to the dark side. Is he supposed to mirror Vader for some reason? To perhaps symbolize some harmony between Luke and Vader?

Yes, you are correct to a certain extent. When you watch Return of the Jedi for the first time, you are supposed to be wondering whether Luke has turned to the Dark Side after learning who his father is in Empire Strikes Back. When he enters Jabba's palace and uses the Force choke on one of the guards, the audience is supposed to be held in suspense because they don't know to what extent Luke has been influenced by his father.

There is a definite parallel between Anakin entering the building on Mustafar to kill the Separatist leaders, and Luke walking into Jabba's palace to free Han and Chewbacca. Notice how they are both wearing black robes with the hoods up.

http://starwars.mytopix.com/img/l/luke_skywalker-1.jpg

20. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Black is thinning. Luke also wears vertical stripes during the Thrawn Trilogy for the same reason.

21. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
  22. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I personally don't think the Jedi robes would look right on Mark Hamill, he heads to big.

23. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I believe that the black robes foreshadow that at the end of the movie , luke will have his final temptation.

24. Darth_Juggalo

Darth_Juggalo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    Perhaopse it may be an alude to Hamlet. Hanmlet is known to always wear black because he is mourning the loss of his father. Luke is also mourning his father's loss. Not his physical loss but the loss of image that luke had of his father. It also reflects that luke was headed down the path to the dark side (force choking the pig guards) but chooses to stay in the light (refusing to fight and kill his father).

25. Parallax2265

Parallax2265 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    I always figured that Luke was wearing a black version of the Jedi robes to symbolize his acceptance of who his father was, but also to respect what Anakin once was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.