main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Black Sun Toy Collectors: WANT LIST

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Sithman, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes, Dan. I may not have Burton's intimidating work face, but I do have swords and daggers at my disposal.... ;)

2. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    I was thinking of giving him one of my patented Ortugg Bear-Hugs.

3. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Hey I already said I'm sorry. I'll just defend the skinny little runt comment by saying that I'm 5'10" and I have a fantastic runners body.

4. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    I really didn't need to hear about your fantastic body, Dan....

5. Ortugg3

Ortugg3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    (Is anyone else reminded of the old joke about the difference between a dwarf pick-pocket and a female jogger?)

Oh yeah? Well I'm 6'1" and I have a fantastic......uh.....bowlers body! Yeah that's it.

Anyway don't worry Dan I'm not really mad, and besides, I've lost 10lbs in the past 2 weeks.

I even started getting up early to ride my bike before I go to work.

And BTW, no one has ever died from getting an Ortugg Bear-hug ......not yet anyway.

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    yeah....
    well....
    when you get older your joints will be a wobbly mess from all that running......and there goes the runner's body...

I have a "restorationist's" body....strong arms and a broken back...

:)

and good for you Ortugg...I have spent a lifetime struggling with weight issues....it never gets any easier...

;)

7. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Okay, everyone have their want list up to date? Did someone here mention they need Jabba's Palace Luke, non-holo? What about r1-g4 or whatever his name is? Do I remember someone saying this?

8. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    "Okay, everyone have their want list up to date? Did someone here mention they need Jabba's Palace Luke, non-holo? What about r1-g4 or whatever his name is? Do I remember someone saying this?"

Actually, this illustrates a problem that I've been mulling over the last few weeks. This list isn't being used properly. People's want lists are spread over multiple pages, so it is hard to quickly check over what people are looking for. Also, some of us are just creating a new post whenever we are looking for something, resulting in a thread that is an overly long mess.

I propose that we create "THE NEW BLACK SUN WANT LIST" thread. Everyone comes in and posts ONLY what they are looking for, and edit it as time goes by. No more posts about what you found for someone, just use PM to do that. If everyone follows the rules, the actual "WANT LIST" will remain on the first page of the thread. The additional pages will just contain periodic bumps so that people won't have to scroll through pages of old threads to find the current want list. This way, all anyone will ever have to look at is the first page, and they can ignore the rest. Also, having everyone's list stay on one page will mean that it will be easier for people to keep track of what it is that folks are looking for.

There are a couple of potential problems that I see.
    1) What about new people? If someone new comes along and our thread is already 3 pages long, how will anyone know to check their want list as it will be buried amongst a series of bumps.

SOLUTION: At rebelcum, they start a new "Chicagoland Look What I Found" thread every six months (there is the Fall/Winter thread and the Spring/Summer thread). I propose we do the same with the want list here. We can do it more often if and when we get a large influx of new collectors to our group.

2) "I'm not looking for anything right now, but I may in the future."

SOLUTION: We get the word out on the board about how the NEW BLACK SUN WANT LIST is going to work through a separate thread. We ask that everyone who MAY SOMEDAY want to buy something Star Wars related at a store to post. If there isn't anything they are lookind to buy right now, we ask them to post the word "Nothing".

I really want to try and make THE NEW BLACK SUN WANT LIST a more effective tool for us to help each other out. What do you guys think? All in favor, post here!

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    How about making the new thread a sticky thread, thus eliminating the need for "bumps"?

Then, each person makes one post, which contains his/her current want list & messages. Since we have an unlimited edit time on this board, each user will just keep editing that same post to keep up-to-date.

The downside is that there is then no indication of new edits without actually reading the thread.

Another solution would be to simply start a new thread every month or season.

10. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I thought about doing a sticky thread, but I wasn't sure that a toy want list would qualify as being important enough. The two sticky threads that we have already are pretty important (CF Schedule and CF Clubs) . . . any moderator types readin this? What do you guys think about a sticky thread want list? If the mods say no, what do people think of my original idea?

11. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Dak, your thoughts and mine are running in parellel, as I tried to look for want list I was thinking that we did need to modify the way we are doing this. I like the idea for a call of new posts, and then updating seasonally.
    Maybe I'm knocking us, but I don't think our toy wants are important enough for a sticky either.

Who else is with us!?!? Death before surrender! Wait, forget that last part

12. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Well, since no one else is chiming in, I think I am just going ahead and doing it.

Unless anyone has any objections, tomorrow I will post an alert for THE NEW BLACK SUN WANT LIST letting people know why we are doing it and what they should do.

Then maybe two days after that, I'll post the actual NEW BLACK SUN WANT LIST.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Dan, perhaps we could make it a seasonal thread, like on Rebelscum.

Start a new one now for "Summer 2004", then make a new one in Sept. so we don't have to keeping upping it.

14. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sorry....I have been really sick since Saturday and have not been on line....

I'm up for any easy and efficient way to keep track of the want lists....

You and Carrie really did me a favor by finding the two items you had for me...I really appreciate it...as I have mentioned many times, it seems that the Southside really gets very little...stuff that the northsiders find as peg warmers...I have never seen down here....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.