main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Blacked-Out Spoilers Allowed* The CT on DVD, and possible further changes to the trilogy.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Lady Mara, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friendly_bob

friendly_bob Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2004
    I was unsure of the Anakin addition at first but now - Yeah Baby! I'm sooo looking forward to September - it'll be like a fresh new movie experience! I'm getting sweaty palms just thinking about it...

Also, just checked on DaMovieMan's site. Arubesh lettering on the tractor beam! Woo! And the garbage creature looks nice! I wonder if any other console displays *cough*death star plans*cough* in ep4 are tweaked...?

I also hope that this is not some REALLY elaborate hoax...

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "I also hope that this is not some REALLY elaborate hoax..."

I do [face_devil]

3. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    EmpireOfTheSun Wrote: "Think about it, C3PO and R2D2 may well have their memories wiped in ROTS but why doesnt Owen recognise the name of the droid"?

Because his name is never mentioned to Owen.

4. masterjedi747

masterjedi747 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2004
    OK, fine. After watching that clip, the supposed Anakin ghost replacement isn't as bad as I thought it could have been, although the original seemed to make more sense to me. I say supposed because although it actually looks OK, I still think that, for two reasons, there is just the same possibility that this scene will not be changed.
    -First, I really don't think there is a solid in-universe explanation for why Anakin appears younger. I mean, when Anakin finally died onboard the Death Star, he was in that form: aged, etc... So why wouldn't he appear like that just as Obi-Wan and Yoda do? Or why wouldn't Obi-Wan and Yoda appear younger in their ghost forms? The force ghosts we have seen have always appeared (as complete versions of themselves) just as they looked when they died.
    -The second, more powerful argument, is that some people have claimed that ending was a fake. But perhaps is was NOT done by a fan, because maybe George said to ILM or whoever, "just change everything on this list and we'll see how it looks, then we can decide whether or not to keep all of the changes later". If someone leaked THAT version of the films (intentionally or not), then that might explain why some people are now claiming this is a fake version. I know I may be wrong, but my point here is that just because we have seen the clip with Anakin being replaced, doesn't mean that George ultimately decided to keep it that way. If he does, then fine. It's his decision, and we should respect that. Now all we can do is wait until September 21 rolls around...

If possible, just for comparison, could someone else just post that same clip, but from the Special Edition version?

5. rumplebunny

rumplebunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2003
    I watched my old VHS copy of ROTJ the other day, and man that Ewok song at the end sounds so goofy now.

And yep, Vader's sometimes red, sometimes pink saber was there, fluctuating the same way as the '97 SE and the 2004 rip. So it's always been there and has never been touched up (any WIP arguments aside.)

As a side note, the infamous saber cross scene in front of the Emperor looks weird even on the old VHS copy. When Luke Force-pulls the saber away and ignites it, it's a nice shade of green. But during the cross shot, it's a pale blue-green color. I guess that shot has NEVER looked 100% right. ;)

One more edit!: It's funny how I never noticed the changing saber colors until I started reading all the nitpicking on these boards. ;)

6. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "It's funny how I never noticed the changing saber colors until I started reading all the nitpicking on these boards."

Yep, the JC has that effect on many people.

Although I never ever noticed any slugs or blobs or anything on the Emperor - and I'm glad I didn't :p

7. EmpireOfTheSon

EmpireOfTheSon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2004
    Wouldn't it be cool to see the odd alien pilot during the Rebel attack on the Death Star in ANH ..........

?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just want to comment on the clip that was posted on the last page - first of all, I don't think it's the real deal. The biggest problem I've seen or rather, heard with it is the lack of background noise. Where are all the ewok hoots and hollars and the rebels yelling and laughing? They are especially prominent during the "Kodak moment" shot at the end, but in this clip are absent. That just got me wondering...

And I also want to point out that the iris out at the end is delayed. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know. But usually, the score is supposed to blend into the end credit music nicely, but in the clip there is a pause - the same pause that is on the soundtrack, but not present in the film itself.

After seeing that, I'm really hoping that these are not the versions we will see next month.

9. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    I must admit that from an outsiders POV, it seems that J.K. Rowling has just ripped off star wars more blatantly than George Lucas did for lets say, Lord of the Rings for star wars. At least he tried to develop other myths within his story etc.
    I do struggle to see how it would be exploitive if she did a prequel, yet its not exploitive to have films of every book and have a level of merchandising that puts star wars in the shade.
    All credit to her and her success and she hasnt really said anything bad really. But ignoring her statements, this is how it appears to me.
    I do like the HP films though, but better than the star wars prequels? nah.
    Looking foward to the next HP movie though, shame they couldnt get the guy directing it who did the last one.

10. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    The biggest problem I've seen or rather, heard with it is the lack of background noise. Where are all the ewok hoots and hollars and the rebels yelling and laughing?

I believe when the clip was originally posted sound was not present. I seem to remember the user who posted it telling us that he'd made two versions one with the SE Music, and one with the OT Yub-Nub Music.

11. EmpireOfTheSon

Jul 22, 2004
    WHAT ARE WE ALL EXPECTING TO HAPPEN ON SEPTEMBER THE 8TH THEN ?

Do you think the OS will publish a list of changes?
    Do you think the press will go for all the obvious changes?
    Do you think it wont be until we the fans get our hands on them (21st) that most of the changes will be spotted?

12. walker32

walker32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2003
    Ok I also emailed that website and here is the answer I got:

Hi Chris,

These are the extended versions from the 1997 etc.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Carolyn
    Customer Service Officer

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    There are further changes in the DVD version since the SE edition.

14. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    "Do you think the OS will publish a list of changes?"

No.

"Do you think the press will go for all the obvious changes?"

Yes.

"Do you think it wont be until we the fans get our hands on them (21st) that most of the changes will be spotted?"

Yes.
    20th for some ;)

15. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    No, no , yes.

16. EmpireOfTheSon

Jul 22, 2004
    I think us Brits get the DVD's on the 20th.... [face_dancing]

EDIT: A fiver says Empire - a British movie magazine (and a long time friend and supporter of all things Lucas), has some VERY juicy facts to pass on (courtesy of LFL) regarding these discs on 08/09/04....

17. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    What obvious changes will or won't the press go for?

18. RednepSuS

RednepSuS Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I think us Brits get the DVD's on the 20th... [face_dancing]

:mad: :( 8-} [face_devil]

19. EmpireOfTheSon

Jul 22, 2004
    TwiLekJedi,

List of Obvious Changes spotted by press

1) Anakin
    2) Emperor
    3) Jabba

List of Obvious Changes NOT spotted by press
    1) Greedo
    2) Whatever they've done that we dont know about yet ;)
    3) Improved sabers in ANH

20. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I'd agree about Anakin and Palpy
    but I bet some are stupid enough not to notice Jabba ;)

it all depends what LFL will tell, too. If LFL says "The lightsaber effects have been improved" some papers/sites may write "Lightsabers now made of sausage!!" instead of not noticing at all :)
    (I don't like press, obvisouly ;))

EDIT: SuSpender, I saw all three versions of that post. Funny progression :p You're worse than Lucas [face_laugh]

21. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    8/14/2004 Interview with Steve Sansweet

Sansweet Video Interview

Regarding the new OT DVD's:

"George keeps coming up with ideas, and we're there to serve him and whatever he comes up with, we'll get it out the door".

Sounds like there is no way Darth First has finished copies.

22. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    If I were a betting man, I'd put down serious money on the Force Ghost change being the only thing that 95% of viewers will notice.

Same with the media as well. In fact, if Lucas does get blasted for this release, it will purely be for Hayden in ROTJ. I can practically read Entertainment Weekly's review of this set already. :rolleyes:

In many ways, it's already become a symbol for certain people's displeasure for Lucas's recent work (notice how Force Ghost Shaw has become one of the most popular icons on the boards. It's a little ridiculous ).

I mean, at least mix it up a little and give the old monkey woman some play too. :p

Oh, and I agree Helmet.

23. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    But the one they chose sounds nothing like John Williams or Star Wars!!! I like The music alright but it doesnt fit

I love the new song.

RB

24. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    EmpireOfTheSon: I think us Brits get the DVD's on the 20th...

Who are the 'Brits'?

Arthur: Well, we all are. We're all Brits and I am your king.

:p

25. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    The biggest problem I've seen or rather, heard with it is the lack of background noise. Where are all the ewok hoots and hollars and the rebels yelling and laughing?

That is because the music was added in by a fan. The original leak had no sound and some fan (from this board I believe) added in the music to give us all an idea of how it might sound. The fps is also lower because of it (so it is choppy).

On the DVD rip everything is as it should.

RB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.