main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blacklist Hollywood? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by TripleB, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I think what annoys most people (and me) about actors, is not that they speak their mind...but that they are SO MONOLITHICALLY in favor of the Democrat Party.

Uh-huh. Like

a) Every christian group in the country

and

b) anti-abortion group isn't monolithically in favor of the republican party?

Why is everyone taking these people so seriously? They're actors, not legislators. If you don't want to hear what they have to say, then change the station.

Or here's a novel idea:

Ignore them.

No-one's going to blacklist Hollywood; one of the few escapes in these troubling times are movies, radio, music and television. The government would be very foolish to try and intercede here. Americans have been willing to give up a lot of things for the war on terrorism, but censorship of hollywood isn't one of them. Not yet.

Peace,

V-03

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wasn't referring to you, DM, sorry if you thought I was. I mean, whats the point in getting upset if celebrities say dumb stuff? It's not a crime to be idiotic - if it were, you'd wipe out half the pop music scene. Ignore them, don't give them credit.

E_S

3. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Vaderize:

There are Christian groups that support the Democrats in general and the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton in particular.

Regardless, it's a bad comparison.

DM's point is that an entire industry seems to support one political party. Christianity is a religion, and the pro-life movement is a political position.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, be fair, there are some Hollywood Republicans too. ;)

But to be honest, I respect the views of ONE ACTOR.

Harrison Ford.

When did he last tell you who to vote for or who not to vote for. He speaks on the environment, because the degradation of it affects us all. He's non-partisan, and wisely doesn't equate celebrity status with socio-political enlightenment.

And he's also Indy! :D

E_S

5. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    The other day Ewan McGregor was interviewed on UK television and he was very outspoken against a war in Iraq. In interviews for Black Hawk Down he also voiced heavy criticism on the role the USA played there.
    So guys, now start boycotting Ewan McGregor films. Pity you won't be able to see Episode 3.

So you think an actor has no right to voice his opinion about a war in Iraq? Who do you think pays for that war? It's the citizens of the US and UK. So I think people have every right to give their opinion about what should happen with their money and in their name.

6. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    "Uh-huh. Like

and

b) anti-abortion group isn't monolithically in favor of the republican party?"

Those groups bring pre-suppositions to the political table...beliefs that will undoubtedly influence the political party or ideas they support.

Actors and entertainers...as far as I know...don't bring the same set of values and beliefs to the table (except perhaps a belief in free speech, which could not possibly lead a group of people to monolithically support one party over the over).

Besides, I never said they couldn't speak their mind...just that it annoyed me. Feel free to be annoyed at your own leisure.

7. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    On one hand you say that these celebrities are irrelevant...and on the other, you want to blacklist and boycott to silence them. Are you afraid of their opinion?

Win the debate in the public forum. Don't try to silence the other side. That's wrong.

Couldn't have said it better, Red-Seven. :)

8. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    So you think an actor has no right to voice his opinion about a war in Iraq?

No. One. Is. Saying. That.

9. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Ender-Sai said

But George Lucas is a self-confessed liberal. What if he speaks out against war in Iraq? I will not support your damning Star Wars!

Well, I only saw Episode 2 twice, and only paid to see it once. I have neither EP 1 or EP2 on DVD, simply because the movies keep getting worse and I won't support them.

Vaderize03 said

Uh-huh. Like

and

b) anti-abortion group isn't monolithically in favor of the republican party?

Uh huh. Like

a) Every Enviromentalist group in the country

and

b) Every pro abortion gropup isn't monolithically in favor of the Democrat party?

Add to the mix every Anti-Gun, Anti-America, Anti-Freedom, Anti-God, Anti-Family gropu in the USA. DO you think any of them support the Republican party?

It goes both ways.

10. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Never mind... wrong thread [face_blush]

11. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    "Uh huh. Like

a) Every Enviromentalist group in the country

and

b) Every pro abortion gropup isn't monolithically in favor of the Democrat party?"

I see your point, but again those are groups that bring pre-suppositions to the table.

I can't identify any pre-supposition that actors bring to the table. My wife is in opera and it's the same thing there; she can't understand why she is the only conservative in a cast of 50 people.

12. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Just in case any of you think "blacklisting" only happens to those on the Left:

Washington Post Story

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    "Are you a member of the communist party?"

"I refuse to answer that."

"I'll repeat, are you a member of the communist party?!"

"I refuse to answer that."

*bangs gavel* "You're in contempt!"

Thank you for bringing up such a nice piece of our history. It's about as fun as someone releasing the black death across Europe. And you think that this is somehow a good idea?

14. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    Are you trying to hold us in contempt for discussing this?

15. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Well, I only saw Episode 2 twice, and only paid to see it once. I have neither EP 1 or EP2 on DVD, simply because the movies keep getting worse and I won't support them.

But you did pay for it once. So you do not buy any Star Wars or other Lucasfilm products? And all because you don't like the "declining quality" of the films? Most people who don't like a film don't post on a website dedicated to it. They tend to stick with things they like.

Did you watch Black Hawk Down? Did you pay to see it? Hate to tell you this, but if you did, then Ewan McGregor got some of your cash.

As I said before, you have every right to boycott anything you want. Don't be surprised if someone calls you a hypocrit when they find a flaw in your blacklist, though. ;)

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Hmmm, TripleB, copying my post and trying (unsuccessfully) to turn it around.

Clever :p.

Actually, you're overreaching. As a democrat, I am neither anti-God nor anti-family; by the way, belief in God is personal and shouldn't be a prerequisite for joining a political party. Feel free to move to the vatican if you disagree.

It goes both ways.

Exactly what I was saying in my post. Your point exactly is....? It's tit for tat on both of them. You aren't going to convince me that the GOP has cornered the market on stamping out hypocrisy, because it hasn't happened.

Nice try, though :D.

Lodson-

What is it with everybody, stealing my "uh-huh"? Do I get copywright fees :p? Originality please :D! By the way, if the GOP were more inclusive towards environmentalists and those moderates who were pro-choice, then perhaps they wouldn't all be running to the democrats? Hmmmm?

I won't go so far as to say that the GOP should admit liberals, but the party has been rather far to the right as of late; if moderates find it unfriendly there, why should they stay?

I'd love to join the GOP, as I am anti-tax, pro-gun, pro-education, and yes, pro-family. But looking at the hostility I have encountered for believing in abortion rights, cloning research, and separation of church and state, well, where would you put me in your Grand Old Party? I don't exactly feel like anybody would pay any attention to my voice....

Peace,

V-03

17. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Hah ha ha...Triple B, didn't you LOVE Black Hawk Down?

And are you not going to see Star Wars Episode III? I mean, Lucas clearly has some sort of anti-war message in these prequels, and you said yourself you'd boycott movies by celebrities who are outspoken against the war.

So, are you going to stay true to your word? Are you truly not going to see Episode III?

18. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    There have been claims by some that Hollywood's blacklist extends to conservatives. There may be some truth to those claims. Although, in 2001, there was at least one actress, NYPD Blue star Sharon Lawrence, who apparently was grilled as to her political views.

The offense? She was in a few photos with President Bush in a People magazine spread from his inaugural. She was suspected of being a Republican (she was actually a life-long Democrat).

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/davidlimbaugh/dl20020817.shtml

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2001/2/15/174937

One takes a look at a few other situations, and it is apparent that anyone to the right of Bill Clinton is in for a hard time in Hollywood unless they keep their mouths shut.

Full disclosure: Kimball_Kinnison is my younger brother

19. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    To the right of Clinton?

That should be easy....the guy didn't stand for anything. He was a pollrider.

:D. Bush may not pollride directly in the same way, but trust me, he has people working closely on watching just what the public wants.

He still has greater than 50% support on Iraq.

Peace,

V-03

20. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    So you think an actor has no right to voice his opinion about a war in Iraq?

Of course they can voice their opinions just as anyone else can.

However, when they use their celebrity to give themselves national exposure, they must do so with the full awareness that they may very well be offending some of the very people who comprise their audience.

The whole "blacklist" argument sounds like the the beginning of another "vast right-wing conspiracy" should Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public decide (on their own) that they no longer wish to purchase the products endorsed by or watch the programs of any actor due to public statements made by that actor.

21. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    "I'd love to join the GOP, as I am anti-tax, pro-gun, pro-education, and yes, pro-family. But looking at the hostility I have encountered for believing in abortion rights, cloning research, and separation of church and state, well, where would you put me in your Grand Old Party? I don't exactly feel like anybody would pay any attention to my voice...."

Well, I think you would be more than welcome except for those who are Christian GOP activists in the midwest.

You can't have everything in a party, and I am certainly more libertarian that most in the GOP.

22. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Join the good guys! Those lovable losers, the Democrats! I mean, you said "I'd love to join the GOP, as I am anti-tax, pro-gun, pro-education, and yes, pro-family. But looking at the hostility I have encountered for believing in abortion rights, cloning research, and separation of church and state, well, where would you put me in your Grand Old Party?"

Aside from being anti-gun, (although many southern democrats are pro-gun), the Democrats are very pro-education, pro-abortion rights, pro-cloning and research rights, and pro-seperation of church and state. The tax isssue is a little sticky, but the Democrats believe in responsible governing, releving the taxes on the middle class and the working poor, so that all the tax cuts don't just go to the richest 1 percent.

23. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Vaderize03:

Hollywood loved him, though.

The fact is, Sharon Lawrence's experience, along with some other incidents (the Tom Selleck/Rosie O'Donnell flap in 1999 in particular), indicates that there may be a blacklist in effect.

Ask yourself this: If a major actor in the Star Wars prequels were to say something to the effect of: "After September 11, President Bush decided he was not going to wait for the next 9/11 to happen before doing something about it. I don't think that line of thinking is unreasonable. If anything, given what we have seen on September 11, it makes sense, and I'll support it unless someone can convince me there is a better way to do this," what do you think would happen to their career, given what Sharon Lawrence and others have experienced?

24. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998
    "The tax isssue is a little sticky, but the Democrats believe in responsible governing, releving the taxes on the middle class and the working poor, so that all the tax cuts don't just go to the richest 1 percent."

You can't give tax cuts to people that don't pay taxes.

Many middle class families pay taxes, but there burden is FAR LESS than wealthier families.

Tax cuts should go in proportion to those that pay taxes.

25. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I'd love to join the GOP, as I am anti-tax, pro-gun, pro-education, and yes, pro-family. But looking at the hostility I have encountered for believing in abortion rights, cloning research, and separation of church and state, well, where would you put me in your Grand Old Party? I don't exactly feel like anybody would pay any attention to my voice....

Come on over V03! :)

There is much more diversity in the GOP than in the Democratic party when it comes to ideology and substance! There's even room for the pro-choicers out there, which the opposite can't be said for the Dems. And by the way - we can't stand tort lawyers!

Those above things are enough to get your foot in the door, my friend. I'll send you my card. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.