main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blacklist Hollywood? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by TripleB, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Now for those who say that you don't consider actor's outside of their profession, what is your opinion of Ronald Reagan?

He's ill-informed, plus he's a celebrity, he should shut up and entertain, like a monkey in a circus. His opinions don't count because he's just a stupid celeb. ;)

2. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    There is a difference between talking the talk on politics and walking the walk on politics. Ronal Reagan's acting career and his political career are completely separate.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    There is a difference between talking the talk on politics and walking the walk on politics. Ronal Reagan's acting career and his political career are completely separate.

You think so huh? Well in that case why do you boycott actors who are acting?

And there's no difference, he was an actor talking politics, the only reason why you gave him credence was because he held office. I don't pay attention to what celebs say anymore, I know 99% of them are full of ****.

4. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    No, reagan was out of acting when he got into politics

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    LoL, he was? Could've fooled me.

6. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    I absolutely cannot believe this thead still sits on the front page.

Lame.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Isn't there a code of conduct for mods? You know, like, "Thou shall kiss every member's ***," or something?

8. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    I heard a good analogy today. Sean Penn exercises his rights when he gets on a soap box and complains about this, that or the other thing. I exercise my rights when I am channel surfing, see he is on a chanell and continue to surf...or when I see a sign for one of his movies and don't go see it. Does that make me wrong, or whatever the garbage is that Tim Robins was claiming?

9. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, it would be just criminal of me not to post what Ms Susan Sarandon has been saying again.

Susan Sarandon's comments will be in Italics, Triple B's commentary will be in Bold

SusanSarandon's Barbara Streisand/BS

Sarandon attacks Oscars control

Sarandon presented a statuette at the 2003 Oscars
    Oscar-winning actress Susan Sarandon has accused organisers of the Academy Awards of being obsessed with control.
    The star, who won best actress in 1996, said she resented the way they tried to regulate what actors said and did.

Shock!! Liberals trying to silence liberals!!! According to your husband, it is the Bush Administration, Fox News, and Clear Channel broadcasting that are behind that, or was Tim Robbins lying?

"The organisers have gone over the top trying to control it and make sure nothing happens," she told the BBC's TV and radio listings magazine, Radio Times.

Yeah, sure...cough..cough...Michael Moore...Even Dustin Hoffman had the good sense to say why he was so subdued, as prior to the show, he was well aware that 9 US MArines had fallen that day alone, to bad yourself, your husband and Mr Moore didn't have his dignity, I guess....

"I resent they make you sign a piece of paper saying you'll never sell the statuette, except back to them for $1 (60p).

Wow, Hollywood organizers lowering the boom on you...can't believe it.....

"I changed that to 'market value'. It's only an Oscar, not sperm."

Off topice I guess, seems like you have a problem with the Academy....

But despite being one of Hollywood's most outspoken anti-war stars, she refrained from making a political statement from the podium.

True, you were rather quiet. I assume you were celebrating the death's of the 9 US Marines who fell in battle earlier that day, perhaps Suzie?

She also tried to sell dove-shaped peace brooches to other stars in aid of land-mine victims.

A worthy cause, I suppose.

"You'd be surprised who wouldn't even wear one," she said. "I guess they're nervous of me."

It seems quite a lot of people were wearing them, Susan. I saw most of the big stars with them, so bah humbug!

Sarandon won her Oscar for Dead Man Walking and has four other nominations dating back to 1982.

Fair enough, seems Hollywood likes to reward their own.

'Witch-hunt'

Explaining her anti-war stance, she told the Radio Times that the world had belonged to her generation, but they "screwed up".

"Now we have to unscrew it. Maybe things have to get so bad before we wake up.

Yes, the Clinton Administration was never so eloquently described then in what you just said.

"I lost a very dear friend in the Twin Towers on 11 September and thought the shock was so huge that American arrogance would be diminished.

Oh, it was AMERICAN ARROGANCE that was to blame for 9/11? HOw stupid is that, Ms Sarandon!! Did you ever realize that it was not american arrogance but the evil of Al-Qaeda that did that awfull thing? No, probably not.

"Instead, our president has turned it into one of the most divisive times since the Civil War."

Yes, a 70 something percent approval rating right now, wow, how divisive!!

Her views led to her being the subject of a "witch-hunt", she said.

Yes, we the people certainly have no right to turn our backs and cover our ears or stand against what you say, do we?

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Uh, it was a bit of both that caused 9/11 TripleB. A fact, albeit an unpopular one, but still a fact.

E_S

11. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    EnderSai said

Uh, it was a bit of both that caused 9/11 TripleB. A fact, albeit an unpopular one, but still a fact.

Wow, so the arrogance of a nation gives full rights to go out and murder innocent's. Wow, in that case, I guess we could give the OK to a lot of things, from abortion protesters who kill arrogant pro-abortion types then.

12. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    are we really going to do this again?

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry Red. I'm taking it to PM.

E_S

14. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    TripleB, when are you going to understand that America reaps what it sows?

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    We are a do-no-wrong country and any attempts to say otherwise will be met out by furious anger and great vengeance to those who attempt to poison my brothers and you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. :p

16. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Kaine said

TripleB, when are you going to understand that America reaps what it sows?

Oh, believe it or not, I 100% am in agreement with that. America does reap what it sows. And we are reaping now, over the past 2 and a half years what we sowed with the 8 years of Bill Clinton in the white house. I guarantee you that Osama Bin Laden and Saddamn Hussien were happier when Cliton was calling the shots.

17. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Bah! If you're going to blame Clinton for all the bad things in the world at least try to remember that conservative presidents helped spawn islamic terrorism as well. So pinning everything that happens today on one man is really a stupid thing to do.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nope, rather than admit this goes back to Eisenhower and Mossadeq, it's much easier to blame Clinton.

Generally, I find this serves three purposes. Firstly, it preserves the "integrity" of the Republican leaders whilst doing that same lowbrow "Clinton is teh sux0r!!11!" thing. Secondly, it reiterates the low attention span of society in general, and I forget the third. :p

E_S

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "And we are reaping now, over the past 2 and a half years what we sowed with the 8 years of Bill Clinton in the white house."

Oh, how soon they forget [face_plain] It was the Reagan administration that helped Saddam Hussein get all his nifty weapons back in the 1980-1988 war against Iran, and it was Bush the Elder who turned his back on Iraq when there was a popular uprising against Hussein in the aftermath of Gulf War I, an uprising he promised the US would back.

Nah, let's just blame Clinton for everything.
    Iraq? That was Clinton.
    Vietnam? Clinton.
    Civil War? Yup.

20. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    Yes, we are reaping what we sowed, by putting a monkey faced puppet in charge who would rather start wars and pay off the rich than help make this country ACTUALLY safer. Oh wait, we didn't put him in charge. But we suffer nonetheless.

21. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    Yes, we are reaping what we sowed, by putting a monkey faced puppet in charge who would rather start wars and pay off the rich than help make this country ACTUALLY safer. Oh wait, we didn't put him in charge. But we suffer nonetheless.

HAAAHAAAHAAhahhahhhhahhahhhhhaahhhaa!!!

ha.

phew!

i needed a good laugh today. you know, just the other day i was complaining about how in another presidential election we should have never let go of the fact that somebody got more popular votes than electoral votes. i feel proud of the fact that i never got over grover cleveland's popular majority over harrison in 1888. to this day, i still like to assert that Harrison was NOT the president during his fictitious "term."

wake up. bush is your president. you don't have to like it. but i think it'd be better to accept it.

22. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    wake up. bush is your president. you don't have to like it. but i think it'd be better to accept it.

Let's not go there. The evidence is against you, and this thread has nothing to do with it. ;)

Start a new thread, ressurect an old one, or what have you.

I think this topic about Hollywood has run its course... 12 twelve tmes over!

23. yodashizzzle

Jan 27, 2003
    Let's not go there. The evidence is against you, and this thread has nothing to do with it.

Start a new thread, ressurect an old one, or what have you.

I think this topic about Hollywood has run its course... 12 twelve tmes over

well, before you go and close the thread, moderator, the evidence would actually support that gore is not leading domestic and foreign policies at the moment. hence, the fact of the matter is that bush is president. forget about the "don't go there" defense. it's lame. gore got more popular votes. bush is the current president. facts are facts.

and as this thread is about blacklisting hollywood, here's something to think about. what are whitney houston and her husband bobby brown doing in israel? anyone else think it's bizarre for them to make photo appearances with sharon? do celebrities now think that the middle east peace process is going to benefit from whitney and bobby showing up on the scene? what the hell are they doing?

24. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Are you saying you're going to boycott Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown now?

Personally, I haven't listened to either one of them willing since... well, ever. Just not my genre. Celebrities, however, always have photo ops with world leaders. This is old news.

And as for Bush. I'd love to re-open this debate in another thread. Yeah, he is Prez, but he stole it, both popular and it appears electoral, too.

25. yodashizzzle

Jan 27, 2003
    Are you saying you're going to boycott Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown now?

no. maybe you could read exactly what has been posted without stating things in a baited fashion. have i said i boycott anyone for anything on this thread? i've never listened to either of them myself. and i just think it's pretty funny to see them standing there with israel's prime minister. old news? maybe the premise that celebrity opinions matter more than the average person's, but this particular photo op is rather recent. maybe whitney could sing "I Will Always Love You" to Sharon and the new Palestinian leadership at the peace talks. maybe even autograph a few DVD's of "The Body guard" for members of Hezbollah? or, even better, her husband could belt out "My Perogative" at the weeping wall.

And as for Bush. I'd love to re-open this debate in another thread. Yeah, he is Prez, but he stole it, both popular and it appears electoral, too.

Cleveland!!! Cleveland!!! Cleveland!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.