main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blacklist Hollywood? Yes? No? Maybe so?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by TripleB, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Having principles has nothing to do with being spiteful.

Libs love to throw out names when you don't agree with them though, don't they?

I have not once said that these actors don't have the right to spout off their ideology.

I have also said that people who don't agree with them have the right to choose not to support them with their hard-earned cash.

2. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    I hope Mike Farrell's busy career doesn't suffer from his anti-war stance.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Libs love to throw out names when you don't agree with them though, don't they?

Ahem...pot, meet kettle.

4. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    That's a krock FID ;) [face_laugh]

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, so is the Crocodile hunter, but you don't see us boycotting him. Wait...some aussies do, I think.

6. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
  7. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Byeup byeup byeup that's all folks! I'm out of here.

8. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    S&V said

I'm astounded; quite literally speechless. I didn't believe people like you actually existed.

Believe it.

This forum has always been something of an eyeopener for me, a Brit, as I'd never really seen the realities of American conservatism before, but some of the recent threads have really made me realise just how different the US and UK can be.

Well, we are seperate country's......

In England, the kind of venom of spite the conservatives are throwing at these people is pretty much saved for paedaphiles and sex pests.

You should see the venom of spite that Liberals will throw out against America, against our freedom and such. Put's it all to shame.

To see people vilify and boycott actors, films, TV shows etc for the beliefs of (minor, in this case) the actors involved beggars belief.

As Darth Mischevious said, I won't pay to see any movie that employs someone whom I oppose ideologically. Nor will I buy a product that is endorsed by a said celebrity. I only do that to actors who villify my country, my freedom, my liberty and my President, I don't do it summarily for no reason; only when given reason to do so, do I do it.

Jesus - if you boycotted Pearl Harbor on political grounds, at least let it be for the insensitive and glorified way it portrayed Pearl Harbor, not because some D-list actor holds different political ideals to you and has the audacity to speak out about them. Good God man, come to your senses

Since Pearl Harbor was projected to make 300 million plus; and ended up making 175 million; SInce then, Alec Baldwin has been relegated to hosting HOLLYWOOD SQUARES, I would imagine it is because a lot of people share my opinions and have tuned out Mr Baldwin, I would say......

Obi-Wan said

am still waiting to see if Triple B really is going to boycott Episode III. I really would have respect for his convictions if he did, but I think he would arbitrarily be allowing himself to miss out on a great freaking movie based on TOTALLY UNRELATED events

I said I would not pay to see it. That means, for example: The only reason I saw Episode 2 a second time was because I had already paid to and watched SPIDERMAN for like a 5th time. I had some time to kill, so I decided to go watch Episode 2 again and see if it improved any. It did not.

Honestly, though, I have not seen Ewan MacGregor actually say the things he is accused of saying, but if he was really against US Military policy, then I think it was a bad slap in the face of those who served, especially when I ended up in Somalia shortly after the events of Black Hawk Down and will waste no effort in tuning out Mr MacGregor. Add to it that Ewan in my opinion has been a very poor excuse for Alec Guiness, and I wish George LUcas had actually used footage of Alec when he was younger to make Kenobi a reality, but that is another Board, isn't it?

IN summary, while Blacklisting is a harsh word, just keep in mind that only the Executives in Hollywood can actually black list people. The most I can do is boycott....no different then what was done in 1954 Montgomery Alabama......

9. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Nobody is saying celebs don't have the right to speak out. However, they have a platform they arguably don't deserve, and that most people don't have. That's at least cause for concern.

10. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "You should see the venom of spite that Liberals will throw out against America, against our freedom and such. Put's it all to shame.

Oh yeah, liberals all hate freedom. I find it amusing which rights you consider part of our freedom and which you're perfectly willing to give up. You have no problem with the Bush Administration infringing on all sorts of our rights to "fight terrorism" but God forbid someone try to make it a little harder for you to buy an assault rifle.

"...but if he was really against US Military policy, then I think it was a bad slap in the face of those who served..."

You may find this hard to believe, but one can disagree with military policy and still support those who are carrying it out. I disagree with the Bush Administration's take on our Military Policy, but I wish nothing but the best for those who will be going into harm's way. If we do to go to war, I pray for the lives of each man and woman serving and for a quick and easy victory. But I still don't think we should be going to war now.

You've made it pretty clear that you do not like Clinton or his military policies. So were you slapping those who served in the face by disagreeing with him? Hell, you served while Clinton was making military policy, were you slapping yourself in the face?

11. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, liberals all hate freedom. I find it amusing which rights you consider part of our freedom and which you're perfectly willing to give up. You have no problem with the Bush Administration infringing on all sorts of our rights to "fight terrorism" but God forbid someone try to make it a little harder for you to buy an assault rifle.

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla......I firmly believe in that age old quote by Benjamin Franklin, but it has been said a million times.....so why not say it a million nad one times?

You may find this hard to believe, but one can disagree with military policy and still support those who are carrying it out. I disagree with the Bush Administration's take on our Military Policy, but I wish nothing but the best for those who will be going into harm's way. If we do to go to war, I pray for the lives of each man and woman serving and for a quick and easy victory. But I still don't think we should be going to war now.

There was a lot made out here in California, how College students were shouting and holding signs, hoping for the death's of American soldiers. One sign read "590 Dead FLorida Troops= President Hillary Clinton" and was given lot's of cheers by the protesters. I just think that if that is what Ewan thinks, he should be like Rosie the Hutt and avoid any work that involves something he is so stridently against.

You've made it pretty clear that you do not like Clinton or his military policies. So were you slapping those who served in the face by disagreeing with him? Hell, you served while Clinton was making military policy, were you slapping yourself in the face?

Funny world, isn't it?

12. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "There was a lot made out here in California, how College students were shouting and holding signs, hoping for the death's of American soldiers. One sign read "590 Dead FLorida Troops= President Hillary Clinton" and was given lot's of cheers by the protesters. I just think that if that is what Ewan thinks, he should be like Rosie the Hutt and avoid any work that involves something he is so stridently against."

So if Ewan, or any other condemns the war, but supports the soldiers, you won't start boycotting them Am I reading you correctly? If that's true, please point me to the quotes that have Alec Baldwin and Martin Sheen wished soldiers dead.

If I'm reading you incorrectly, and you actually choose to boycott any actor who has political views separate from your own, well, you're going to have to start being a lot more selective about the movies you see. Just about half of Americans and a significantly larger percentage of non-Americans disagree with your politics. You wouldn't want to inadverently support them by seeing there movies. What about the crew, what if they disagree with you? Are you doing to boycott a movie because the sound guy was a liberal?

"Funny world, isn't it?"

You haven't answered the question. You clearly stated previously that "if (someone) was really against US Military policy, then (you) think it (is) a bad slap in the face of those who served." I'd like to know why that apparently doesn't apply to you.

13. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    You should see the venom of spite that Liberals will throw out against America, against our freedom and such. Put's it all to shame.

Yeah, this is a totally spite-free and thoughtful remark. BBB, just the way you use the term "liberal" as a dirty word is so ugly you make all liberals - even morons like Paul Begala - look like lovely, restrained, thoughtful people.

SInce then, Alec Baldwin has been relegated to hosting HOLLYWOOD SQUARES, I would imagine it is because a lot of people share my opinions and have tuned out Mr Baldwin, I would say......

Actually, it's because he drinks too much, has a bad temper and has been unreliable on set. No big star, no matter how attractive he may be the audiences, will be tolerated by major studios if he's not reliable. It's in your contract, and it's in your insurance.

Again, the vast majority of Americans don't care what Baldwin things. He's not getting paid to think.

I wish George LUcas had actually used footage of Alec when he was younger to make Kenobi a reality

[face_laugh] This is a filmmaking impossibility. I know a lot of people seem to be under the impression the digital age has removed our need for actors, but trust me, this wouldn't have worked.

However, they have a platform they arguably don't deserve, and that most people don't have.

Then get yourself a platform. If they can do it, so can you. You and others here are always telling me you can do anything you set your mind to in America, so don't whine about their special platform - compete with them for your own. ;)

Exactly. Jeez, these venemous Conservatives sure have trouble making sense sometimes, don't they? (Note to mod: this is no worse than BBB's nastiness toward "Liberals", and I've tried every way short of example to show him how rude and silly he sounds. If you want to warn me, you have to warn him too. Thank you, returning to normal posting in three, two...one...)

14. BlueMules

BlueMules Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    Not sure if this is the right thread..but some people has been suggesting that if you don't like Bush's policy, leave the country.

Now..can I ask..if you disagree with Clinton's policy, would you be willing to leave the country as well? After all, according to some of you, it is unpatriotic to critisize the government?

Just a question......

BTW, yeah.......reading message boards opened my eyes as well. I never realized how ignorant and stubborn some people are, in keeping their opinion and shoving it to other people :)

15. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    You should see the venom of spite that Liberals will throw out against America, against our freedom and such. Put's it all to shame

Yeah, conservatives have never done anything to restrict freedom, no, never. Yeah, okay saying "I hate Bush" (snicker now) and "Don't bomb Iraq" are against America? What's worse, speaking your views that contradict popular opinion? Or trying to restrict those opposing views from coming out?

16. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Your stance, Big Belly Boy ;), has to be one of the most illogical things i have ever read about.

You do realise that the vast majority of the entertainment industry are liberals, don't you??

17. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    "Anti-Gun, Anti-America, Anti-Freedom, Anti-God, Anti-Family"

Anti-gun people are not anti-freedom. They support everyone's freedom to live. And families aren't always nuclear. !Kung do very well communally.

18. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    "Then get yourself a platform. If they can do it, so can you. You and others here are always telling me you can do anything you set your mind to in America, so don't whine about their special platform - compete with them for your own. "

Sorry if you think I'm whining, all I'm saying is that I think celebrities are using their access to the media in a way incongruous to how they achieved it. They have more power than their qualifications should reasonably allow, which I said is cause for concern. In turn you suggest I should try it myself?

Do you disagree that most celebrities are not qualified to hold the platforms they do?

19. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Why are there celebrites and why do they have the access to the media that we lack? Oh, that's right, because they're a visible segment of the population. Well they took the initiative to become a visible segment of the US. What have the guys who boycott them because of their views, done? What's that? Nothing? Oh well then I don't really think there should be complaints about the celebrities 'abusing' their access to the media, when the best that the opposing side can come up with is a 'boycott' like the celeb will miss their money. This reminds me of when my brother racked up a bazillion frags in TFC. The opposing side called him a 'cheater' for winning so much. He wasn't cheating of course--the other side had no better ideas than to run into his fire and die. This is a lot like what your 'boycott' does and what the complaints about abuse are. Your 'boycott' is unsuccessful so you instead claim that the celebs are 'abusing' their access by speaking out whereas your camp has no better recourse than to 'boycott'.

Do you disagree that most celebrities are not qualified to hold the platforms they do?

Yes, yes I do, these people have earned their platform, whether you agree with it or not. Now what they do with that platform is their choice. I'd not tell you you're a fool, an idiot, or not qualified, because I disagreed with your views. What you say has no bearing on how I live, and it's not like you'd extend the same courtesy to myself if the positions were reversed.

20. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    "these people have earned their platform"

I completely disagree. You earn a political platform by being educated and experienced in politics.

Did Anna Nicole Smith earn her own television show, or did her notoriety allow it to happen?

Did Shaq O'neill earn a starring role in a feature film, or did his popularity allow it to happen?

Just because you have something doesn't mean you earned it, nor does it mean that you are qualified to have it.

"I'd not tell you you're a fool, an idiot, or not qualified, because I disagreed with your views."

I called nobody a fool, or an idiot, and I didn't say I disagreed with anyone's views. I did say most celebrities are not qualified in politics.

"What you say has no bearing on how I live, and it's not like you'd extend the same courtesy to myself if the positions were reversed. "

Sorry you're taking it so personally.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I completely disagree. You earn a political platform by being educated and experienced in politics.

Who says they?re not?

Did Anna Nicole Smith earn her own television show, or did her notoriety allow it to happen?

Make up your mind, the ?platform? is either their political platform or their television show.

Did Shaq O'neill earn a starring role in a feature film, or did his popularity allow it to happen?

See above.

Just because you have something doesn't mean you earned it, nor does it mean that you are qualified to have it.

Yes, that?s how I feel about some neo-cons and free speech.

I called nobody a fool, or an idiot, and I didn't say I disagreed with anyone's views. I did say most celebrities are not qualified in politics.

Says who? An actor became a governor and then president.

Sorry you're taking it so personally.

Me take something personally? Last thing I took personally was?I don?t remember, but nice try at the insult.

22. Darth Fierce

Feb 6, 2000
    "Who says they?re not?

I do. Most of them have no background or education in politics.

I used Smith and O'neill as analogies. They represent other ways people used one aspect of their career to cross over to another.

"Yes, that?s how I feel about some neo-cons and free speech. "

Nice.

"nice try at the insult."

The insults have all come from you. I've been civil. I am now exiting this discussion.

23. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Sorry if you think I'm whining

I was just teasing. I believe you, among others, on these boards have told me basically I can do anything I want to in the US, no matter my circumstances or disabilities, so I just couldn't resist such a lovely opportunity to return the thought. :D

I think celebrities are using their access to the media in a way incongruous to how they achieved it. They have more power than their qualifications should reasonably allow, which I said is cause for concern.

I think the same could be said of most Congressmen. Listen to some of the Representatives sometime - where do we GET these people? They're uneducated, ill-informed, and have no idea what they're talking about, let alone any particular expertise that might help them in their work. If you REALLY want to have cold sweats and nightmares, research your state assembly - unless your state is blessed, you'll find some people that make Dan Quayle look like someone who always knows just the right thing to say.

But apparently none of this matters. Voting is a popularity contest - and a matter of how much money you throw at it. Hollywood works the same way - people don't care what the stars think if they like what they're seeing, and the big studios do a lot of campaigning to make sure they're digging the big stars. Obviously, people similarly don't care that some of our nationally elected representatives are missing a few marbles so long as they're in the right party, or they had a slick ad, or they agree with them on one particular issue, or whatever it is voters look at. Now THAT scares me a lot more than actors who get diarrhea of the mouth.

24. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Has-been entertainer alert: now Cat Stevens has jumped aboard the peace-no-matter-the-cost train.

Don't recognize the name? Don't feel bad. This guy was a pop singer who had a few hits back in the '70s.

Since then, he's changed his name to Yusuf Islam, supported the death sentence issued by Iran against author Salman Rushdie for his book "The Satanic Verses," and now re-recorded two of his decades-old songs "Peace Train" and "Angel of War."

Try not to run over too many with your car in your mad dash to get to the music store.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I do. Most of them have no background or education in politics.

Really? Have you lived their lives for them? I didn't know that you were so talented. Hey, what's my life been like? I want you to judge that too.

I used Smith and O'neill as analogies. They represent other ways people used one aspect of their career to cross over to another.

Oh, that's rich, "No I'm not using my own analogies or opinions. I just use stuff that's already been done to form how I judge those who go against the administration."

Nice.

Thank you, I'm glad that you enjoyed.

The insults have all come from you. I've been civil. I am now exiting this discussion.

Insults? Hmm...no, don't remember calling you a ******** or a ******** or even a ************.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.