main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blackthorne

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Canderous, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canderous

Canderous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Well, I was going through all my old SNES games and I came across one I didn't recognize. I put it in to play a little and I was pleasantly surprised.

If Castlevania games are your kind of thing, then this is the game for you. It's made by Interplay and Blizzard and it came out around 1994 I think.

So, anyone that has it, discuss it here please.

Also, if you don't own it, I suggest you look around for it. ;)

2. Imperial_March

Imperial_March Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    I never really got on with Blackthorne. It was just the same stuff as Flashback and less interesting and more repetetive. You just ended up doing the same stuff over and over again. I liked it how you could shoot behind though.

3. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I love Blackthorne, although as was noted by Imperial_March, you are just basically doing the same kind of stuff (find key, use key to open door or make light-bridge, use rolling bomb here, use floating bomb there, find exit) over and over again.

What made the game cool, I think, is the fact that you could press "up" on the controller, and your dude would sidle up against the wall, out of range of enemy fire, and then you could just pop back down and fire off a burst of fire then jump back up before they returned fire. Granted, this doesn't sound very revolutionary now, but back in the day when this released, you didn't see this kind of thing too often. (Plus, you could fire back over your shoulder without looking, a la Army of Darkness... which is sufficiently nifty, I must say.) To make a long story short, you could have some pretty fun gun battles with the enemies (popping in and out of the shadows) as they were a little more intelligent then your average nameless video game goon at the time.

The graphics were good stuff, and, much like "Prince of Persia", "Flashback," and "Out of This World" the animation was sweet.

The other cool thing was that over time you were able to upgrade the quality of your shotgun. You start off with a slow-firing pea-shooter shotgun, and by the game's end you have a ridiculously powerful sub-machine shotgun with explosive rounds.

At any rate, "Blackthorne" is one of my old school SNES faves. This and "Rock and Roll Racing," which was just ridiculously awesome. Many fond memories...

Good times,
    Yours Truly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.