main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Blade Runner (Original, Black Lotus, 2049, 2099)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, May 12, 2013.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

What's the difference between the Theatrical and International Theatrical?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    More boobs.

BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Some additional violence, really. It's the version I had when I had the non-directors cut:

Here's a breakdown:

http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_Runner_versions

• When Batty confronts Tyrell in his bedroom, in addition to crushing Tyrell's face with his hands, Batty pokes out Tyrell's eyes with his thumbs, releasing a huge amount of blood.
    • When Pris has somersaulted onto Deckard's back, rather than hitting him three times and then dropping him (as she does in the R-rated versions), she hits him twice, then inserts her fingers into his nostrils and releases her legs, holding him up by his nostrils for a few seconds before dropping him to the floor. The shot of him falling to the floor is identical in all versions. Deckard also shoots Pris an extra time, and the scenes of her thrashing randomly on the floor after having been shot are slightly extended.
    • When Batty is being hunted by Deckard at the end of the film, he pushes a nail through his own hand, which again bleeds profusely.

darthdrago and soitscometothis like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Don't shoot the guy by the dumpster.

5. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    So the International Theatrical is the one I grew up with, while the Americans got a slightly watered-down version in the cinema.

These days I only own The Final Cut Blu-ray. Having looked at the page you linked to though, I think I remember another cut of the movie not listed, one in which there is a scene where Deckard visits an injured cop (or was it another Blade Runner?) in hospital. I thought the scene was not so good and added nothing, so I was glad that wasn't the version I purchased, but I don't see a mention of that version anywhere. Am I remembering a deleted scene from a documentary, or did they actually put that scene in a cut of the movie (which I think I saw on British TV maybe five to ten years ago)?

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    So true. I remember this coming out on the cinema and not doing great, I watched it on TV in the mid-80's and it seemed to build up a cult following from there. Harrison never really spoke too favourably of it either, so its interesting that they are making a sequel to what was essentially a box office bomb, which has since found itself since becoming highly regarded. I don't know what changed for it to become regarded as a bit of a classic though (maybe it was the tweaks Ridley made). I'm looking forward to seeing the film obviously and also what kind of numbers this does because I don't think you can accuse this of being a cash grab because its not like its following a huge hit.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Same guy.

Ender Sai likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It being highly influential in terms of visual design and one of the core cyberpunk genre-establishers would be among the key reasons. Those are things you sometimes cannot tell in the moment.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

The hospital scene is when Deckard visits Holden. They're on the 2007 version but i cant remember if they're in the film or as extras.

soitscometothis likes this.
  10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The landscapes and wide shots look great. Very interested in seeing the world building in it (has a different design aesthetic than the Scott film).

Gamiel likes this.
  11. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003

Mainly it was the release of the non-narrated version which triggered the reappraisal; that as I recall was when you really started to hear critics say that this was a great film once you strip away the voice-over and appreciate it for what it was, rather what people were hoping for, which was basically Star Wars.

Then Ridley started talking about Deckard being a replicant, which made people go back and look at the video to see for themselves.

You've also got to factor in the improvements in how we watch TV now, with big flat-screens and multi-channel sound; I first saw Blade Runner on a rented VHS tape played on a top-loading video-recorder (no remote control) linked via coaxial cable to a 20inch cathode-ray tube set (mono-sound, naturally), and that's how most people would have experienced it. It would take many years for a film to come to TV, and most movies back then were ridiculously expensive to buy - we're talking about £40-£50 in the early eighties, IF they were released to buy at all, which most were not - rental places were the only economically viable way to view a video of a blockbuster movie. And of course if the tape had been watched a lot then it looked like crap. Also we had to rub two sticks together to start the fires which kept the dinosaurs at bay.

Everyone today is a movie-buff, but it didn't used to be like that. It's a different time, and we're not dependent on professional critics to tell us what's good or not.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The visual aesthetic of Blade Runner has been referenced probably dozens of times in other films since, but I don't know that it has been widely seen by general audiences. A sequel has a lot of downside: potentially it doesn't have all that much commercial value, it's artistically unnecessary and if it's not great it tarnishes the legacy of a classic.

ShaneP likes this.
  13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Yes, but most kids will think this is a sequel to last month's Ghost in the Shell.

jp-30 likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Oh God.

The Future Noir book by Sammon is terrific. Has storyboarded scenes with alternative openings of the film where Deckard would arrive via train into town among many others. Other scenes would feature Tyrell in some cyro chamber among many others. Terrific book by a great writer.

15. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    It's on the US 2007 release as part of the Deleted Scenes. You can select the 'play all' feature, and about 45 minutes' worth of deleted scenes play seamlessly as an almost parallel film to the other cuts, as they don't really contradict much of anything in the "official" cuts.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I love that 5 disc set with all the various cuts. That deleted Holden scene is good. It fits in neatly with the dialogue about him being hooked up to a breathing tube or some such.

17. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Blade Runner is indeed one of my all time favorites. I just hope this sequel does the original some sort of justice. The trailer looked..... ok I guesss. But the music was simply amazing. One of my Favorite things from the original was the soundtrack. Love all the synths and the 70s take on what future music will sound like. Glad they kept that type of music for the sequel. Let's see how this goesz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    After watching the trailer I have three words. Hail Roger Deakins

BigAl6ft6 and AplagueOnTheWise like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Anyone know if this will have a voice over like the original theatrical release?

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The VO in the original was done after the studio felt the film was confusing. Given its place in cult history and that Ridley Scott has made it his mission to ensure people don't see the voiceovers, I doubt 2049 will.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I hope not.

KnightWriter likes this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Keep wanting to feel something for this film...but I can't get past Ryan Gosling...the scenery looks wonderful, but I'm hoping that wasn't the only influence taken from the original.

Pensivia and AplagueOnTheWise like this.
  23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    One of my favorite scores of all time. Still play it often.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the studio will probably force it after the first cut is delivered.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I don't know. Deakins is great, but he's not always the most subtle of cinematographers.