main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Blade Runner (Original, Black Lotus, 2049, 2099)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, May 12, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Life was returning to Las Vegas.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what was they feeding on? We did not seen any flowers or other flora

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I took it as a metaphor because you also have the dog, and they're all centred around Deckard.

In the context of the plot, it makes sense.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

From here

How did you decide that he would come across bees?
    There are a lot of problems with bees in the world right now. They are disappearing, so the fact that here you can see those creatures still alive and still present, was for me like a little spark of hope in this dystopian universe.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I see. I also take it that he don't know much about beekeeping since they need flowers to live and we don't see any flora in LA.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    The score was one of the only things I loved about this film. I thought it was very powerful.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes but you think being a Kit Fisto fan is remarkable, so...

Chewgumma likes this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Being his biggest fan is the greatest achievement in my life.

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Saw this tonight and some genius brought their ****ing toddlers. To Blade Runner! Princess Bride was playing across the hall, ***ing My Little Pony is out, wtf!

Anyway spent the first 2/3 eye-rolling that it was a "main character finds out they're the kid of the original movie's protag" story, pleasantly surprised by the end. Wrapped up pretty dope-ly.

10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The only remarkable moment in Blade Runner 2049's soundtrack was...

When they used "Tears in Rain" at the end. It was a powerful way of echoing Roy Batty's monologue without giving K a derivative speech of his own.

It also threw into stark relief just how **** the rest of the soundtrack was. It's hard to believe that the composer of the glorified noise that 2049 has for a soundtrack was one of the people that worked on the soundtrack for Gladiator 17 years ago.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The thing about the Blade Runner soundtrack was that the music was the mood of Los Angeles, and of Deckard. Pretty only Wong Kar Wai uses music the same way Vangelis and Ridley Scott did here; the use of Yumeji's Theme in In The Mood For Love, with the slow motion shots of both Chow Mo Wan and Su Li Zhen walking to the noodle stall in humid, monsoonal Hong Kong made the whole story come alive then. The same goes for the intro titles, the Blade Runner Blues, the Love Theme (aka "Music to rape robots by"), the end titles and of course Tears in Rain.

Listen here to the BR2049 OST, with Tears in Rain followed by the end credits, and you'll see this warm, tonal ambient followed by bombastic Teutonic nonsense:

Subtext Mining and Chewgumma like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I don't think "bomb" is the best term for BR2049 but for the amount of cash they threw into it, these 150 mil blockbusters need to make, like, 400 million worldwide to turn a profit, I think.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, because Blade Runner set the box office alight first time so this should do the same and not find a life via home media. =D=

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Between a few more weeks in the theatre, Blue Ray, occasional cable showing, some small profit will eventually come of it. That won't mean a 3rd film which is unfortunate. I'm betting the off world colonies would have been the next step.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    well I'm doing my part, gathering up 2 family members to go see it again tomorrow (I done already seen it but I really want to see it again on big big screen)

VadersLaMent likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Edited out personal attack

I'm not going to see it in cinemas again. I'll wait for blu-ray, where it belongs.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The ideal goal would be $450m for a 3x multiplier, which, under normal franchise rules, would indicate a further sequel being likely and possibly greenlit relatively quickly if it exceeds that mark. With China and Japan yet to go and BR still only in its second week, the overseas totals may just edge it up into that range.

That said, I think WB would have to realize that BR in general is not something you try to franchise out rapidly, especially given the particular artistic detail given to this one that rendered it such rave reviews ahead of release (not to mention the artistic detail the original film is founded upon).

Likewise, I would hope we wouldn't demand a further sequel too soon- let this one sit for awhile.

Though I'd be open to further short films or anime exploring the world as a hold me over.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Have you played the Westwood game, Quest?

21. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    So I finally got to see this last night. Just amazing. It does the impossible in that it actually expands on the world and themes of the original without really taking anything away from it. The pacing was such a breath of fresh air, and I got a kick out of the farmhouse opening finally being realised after all these years.

The most depressing aspect was the realisation that Geostorm will probably trounce Blade Runner 2049 at the box office, and we'll get even more movies like the former and fewer like the latter.

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Geostorm being such a wide release really is irksome. These ultra disaster films have been played out for a very long time (at least since the film 2012, if not years earlier than that). And while they can still be stupid diversions (or terrible diversions, as was the case with The Core which I saw in theaters for some reason), it's difficult to work any enthusiasm for them anymore.

I have not, but looking it up now after your mentioning of it, it sounds very interesting- I loves me a good adventure game. I'll have to try and track it down one of these days. At the very least, it's an interesting footnote entry in the expanding Scottverse of BR and Alien.

It’s also interesting that the wiki entry describes it as a “sidequel” to BR (as it parallels the film events), which is the same term used to describe Soldier’s relationship with BR- and that film came out a year after the game.

Could there have been a coordinated of some kind in expanding the BR universe at that time, I wonder? Seems like too much of a coincidence. I know BR DC was an early DVD release but I doubt that gave it much clout as a marketing tie in given that the format itself was still newborn and wouldn’t gain wide mainstream success for another year or two...

Aroooo-Dion likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Geostorm looked like it was made for people who say things like "the problem is that there's not enough explosions in modern movies" and own X-Boxes or Playstations.

Aroooo-Dion likes this.
  24. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I own three Playstations and thought that Geostorm looked like poop right from the first time I saw the trailer.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You think that Kit Fisto is a great character, and like General Grievous. That's basically proof you can't be trusted.