main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Blade Runner (Original, Black Lotus, 2049, 2099)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, May 12, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ridley Scott should go away

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was wondering something: in the beginning of the movie do they make a big thing of that gen-8 replicants can't rebel but then we see K and what I guess are other gen-8:s doing just that. When K do it at first we believe it is something that shows that he is actually the hybrid child but then we find out that he is not, his and the others ability to rebel is left without any explanation/comment what I remember. Is it explained/commented and I have missed it?

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Wallace oversold their loyalty and the baseline test shows that their loyalty required upkeep. Luv also says that they don't know that she and K are capable of lying to their superior.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I think too they can lie thanks to the memories of Ana which show you can deceive to survive.

Frank T. likes this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But was it not the intro text that stated that they was extremly loyalty, not Wallace? Or do I remember wrong?

7. Crix-Madine

Crix-Madine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2000
    Best film I've seen all year. Beautifully shot, and witnessed in 4K Laser Projection IMAX.

Twice.

Hope it does well at the Oscars for the visual and audio categories.

BigAl6ft6 and Frank T. like this.
  8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't recall

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm ready too

Scott says he's ready, "when the opportunity arises".

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Watch the preview short films; Wallace basically orders one to suicide in front of a panel of officials to prove the point about loyalty and compliance.

11. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    CrixMadine: I'm holding out hope that BR2049 secures a Best Picture nomination. My first viewing was damn near revelatory, where, against all probability and expectations, an 80s standalone masterpiece was revisited, and expanded and enriched in the process. And the aim wasn't (primarily) for profit or nostalgia-satiation, but for art. Incredible.

Jedi Daniel, VadersLaMent and AndyLGR like this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ‘The Shape of Water’, ‘Three Billboards’, and ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Lead BAFTA Nominations

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It better win cinematography at the Oscars, dangit!

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    BLADE RUNNER 2049: HOW DENIS VILLENEUVE CREATED THE MOST COMPLICATED SEX SCENE OF ALL TIME
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So I have a question about this - was Joi actually in love with K, or was this merely the result of her programming? The adverts say that she is and says whatever you want.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say merely the result of her programming.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think it's intentionally ambiguous and left up to viewer to decide.

However, in my mind, Joi was in love with K. I mean, that's one of the underlying themes of Blade Runner and artificial intelligence films in general, and that is being sentient.

Either way, Joi carries significance and emotional weight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    K has the rug pulled out from under him. It happens when he is told he is not "the one" and it happens when he realizes Joi was just a really good program and he realizes this via the black eyed hologram advert. He grows as a result of this.

Edit: In case you missed it Rutger Hauer chimed in on 2049 and he did not like it claiming it had no humor, heart or soul. He thought Rachel was nothing but a complicated sex toy and the relationship between her and Deckard was dumb. I think his entire view of Bladerunner is backwards in every way it can be backwards.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Let's see what he said for himself:

Have you seen Blade Runner 2049?

I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground. In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humor, there's no love, there's no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.

Let's also consider Sir Ridley Scott thought it was too long and Hauer was against it from the start.