main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends 'Blankie'--one-shot, humour, with ickle Ben.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sock_of_Darth_Vader, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    My son stared up at me, blue eyes defiant, a trace of the Skywalker stubbornness in the set of his soft mouth, the angle of his chin. I wondered whether I should humour this rebellion, or stand firm. He folded his arms across his chest, a frown puckering his forehead.

"Want Blankie," three-year-old Ben repeated.

"Ben..." I said, then relented. I turned to the cupboard where I had stowed the thing earlier, hoping Ben would forget about it come bedtime. But it was not to be.

"This thing is the bane of my life," I muttered, pulling it out of the cupboard.

I had first seen Blankie on the Millenium Falcon. Travelling to some planet or other when pregnant with Ben, am overloaded circuit in the Falcon's temp regulator had blown, and Leia and I had pulled open every locker in the ship searching for extra bedding. Talk about 'piece of junk'--that ship of Han's is full of it. The Falcon gathers up relics of everyone who's ever flown in her.

The blanket was pretty far down in the strata. According to Leia, she and Luke had found it in the burnt-out Lars house, when they were on Tatooine rescuing Han from the Hutt.

Luke met us on our shivering return. I came down the Falcon's entry ramp, wrapped in this shabby red blanket. My husband, on seeing me, gave a most un-Jedi-Master-like yelp of "Blankie!"

I had laughed so hard he had had to hold me up.

I certainly wasn't laughing now. Ben had been tiny when he had taken a liking to the ancient blanket. No pleading, no offers of newer toys could shift him; it was Blankie or nothing.

I tucked it around Ben's knees. It had once been royally fine--brilliant in scarlet and gold, thick and soft. But its pile was thinned now, grimed and worn around the edges by the clutch of small sticky hands.
    Ben seized one corner of it and stuffed it into his mouth, along with his thumb.

"Don't suck it, Ben. Force knows where it's been."
    The way Luke told it, he'd been wrapped in it wen he was delivered to his uncle and aunt. It could have been literally anywhere before then. Coruscant. Alderaan. Dagobah. I shuddered.

Ben emptied his mouth.

"Blankie older than Daddy?"

"Yes, it is. Blankie's a very old blanket. And very unhygenic."

"Blankie was Daddy's. Blankie mine now."

"That's right."

"Blankie his Daddy's too?"

I had a sudden vision of Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, tall and menacing, complete with face-mask, lightsaber and fluffy red blanket. It took Jedi control to keep down the shriek of hysterical laughter that threatened to overtake me.

"I should think that was highly unlikely. Now go to sleep, little one."

"Night, Mommy. Love you."

"I love you too, Ben."

I tucked Blankie around him and kissed his mop of tow-coloured hair.

It took some time to explain what the joke was to Luke, back in the family room.

Ben was sleeping when we looked in on him on our own way to bed. His small arms were pushed above his head, his face flushed and mouth relaxed in slumber. Luke knelt to kiss his sleeping son, then gave the blanket a small pat. His mouth quirked upwards.

"You never can tell, love. He might just be right."

I replaced my earlier incongruous image with one of another small blond boy, being tucked beneath a red blanket. I smiled up at Luke as he joined me in the doorway, and leaned my head on his shoulder. My little family. I grinned.

"The Skywalker men--cuddling Blankie through three generations."

Beside me, I felt Luke's amusement.

"Cuddling practice is always a good thing." He put an arm round my waist. "Besides, he's a very special blanket."

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    very amusing! I can so imagine this happening...... *giggles*

3. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    OMG, that's funny! :)

4. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
  5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Awww, that was cute, and so realistic. You can't influence children in their choice of favourite toys and blankets; they definitely have a mind of their own.

I had to grin when Luke recognized the blanket and called it by name.

And I laughed out loud at this:

I had a sudden vision of Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, tall and menacing, complete with face-mask, lightsaber and fluffy red blanket.

:D

6. SithTahiri

SithTahiri Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Adorable

7. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    [face_laugh] Well, I liked Luke blurting out 'Blankie!' the best. ;) It just put this hilarious image in my mind. :D

Very cute, very good job! :D

8. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    "Don't suck it, Ben. Force knows where it's been."

I had a sudden vision of Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, tall and menacing, complete with face-mask, lightsaber and fluffy red blanket. It took Jedi control to keep down the shriek of hysterical laughter that threatened to overtake me.

Cute! And funny!

9. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    :D That was great! Luke yelling out "Blankie"... I can SO see that!!! Good work, Sock!

10. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    :D That's funny [face_laugh] and sweet [face_love]

I came down the Falcon's ramp, wrapped in this shabby red blanket. My husband, on seeing me, gave a most un-Jedi-Master-like yelp of "Blankie!"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

11. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    That was soo cute!!!

Every one needs there Blankie at some point in time.

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Luke met us on our shivering return. I came down the Falcon's ramp, wrapped in this shabby red blanket. My husband, on seeing me, gave a most un-Jedi-Master-like yelp of "Blankie!"

I love this, DV! You write so well...

*contented SIGH* Luke and his little blankie...;)

Cuddling practice. Hehehe. ;)

"Yes, it is. Blankie's a very old blanket. And very unhygenic."

*rolling with laughter*

13. Sith_Priestess

Sith_Priestess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I do believe that is the most adorable thing I have ever read! So funny, especially the image of Darth Vader with the blanket. Very nice work :)

~Priestess

14. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Really adorable. I also loved the image of Luke giving a most un-Jedi-Master-like yelp of "Blankie!" :D

15. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I had a sudden vision of Darth Vader, Lord of the Sith, tall and menacing, complete with face-mask, lightsaber and fluffy red blanket.

oh, LOL!!!!!!! :D Awesome postie! I can just imagine three generations of blanket lovers.... :p

16. pixy_girl53

pixy_girl53 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    That was so cute. And I agree with everyone else with Luke blurting out like that, and the Darth Vader thing. Very funny. It was gravy, dude.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    So cute! So funny!

18. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Thanks, everybody! Yeah, I liked the line about Vader and his fluffy blankie myself.
    This was a spin-off from the ESB-RotJ fanfic I'm plodding my way through. I knew where Blankie came from; where was he going?

So there you have it. BTW, Ben and Luke were right; does anyone remember that red blanket of Padme's she tucks round Ani in TPM? :) Yup.

19. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Very cute and thoughtful. And hilariously funny.

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Ben and Luke were right; does anyone remember that red blanket of Padme's she tucks round Ani in TPM?

Oh my, that makes it even more brilliant!

21. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    I thought I'd thrown in enough clues for people to guess it--obviously not. Maybe most people don't have my eye for finicky things like that. I picked up on it because it reminded me of Leia comforting Luke after O-W was killed.

22. Tessine-Sabe

Tessine-Sabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2003
    WOw is that cool! Yeah, there is a red blanket in there! Good job, the story is just too adorable for words!

Tess

23. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    hehe that was very cute ^_^

EJ

24. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    oh, that was so cute! :)

25. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    Hahahahahaha, I had to force myself not to break into laughter at this one! Great job, hehe. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.