main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blasphemy to the Masses

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Authority, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Authority

Jedi_Authority Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    I can't stand Kotor 1 or 2. ive beaten both and enjoyed the gameplay, but thought the story was terrible and that there are too many things that make it hard for me to put it into the star wars extended universe, even though i am very familiar and well-read when it comes to the old republic and golden age of the jedi? anybody else have this problem? please don't hate me. [face_praying]

This is utterly pointless, this thread is just here so the author can personally bash KOTOR in praise of other RPGs.
    Anyway, I can't stand other peoples opinion; if they really mattered, EVERYONE would be allowed to have a thread and tell people who don't have the same opinion as them that they're wrong, and fail in life.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I hate you, and you deserve to be beaten to death with a diarrhetic jawa.

(Note: I say with a diarrhetic jawa, not by a diarrhetic jawa. The difference is subtle, but important)

3. Jet-Eye-Blah

Jet-Eye-Blah Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Diarrhetic jawa is too good for him, he needs to be beaten with a diarrhetic Hutt!

[face_whistling]

4. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    No i loved both of them.
    i know alot about the old republic era too but its a game and really somethings add up but yes your right some things are quite off or dont happen that the books mention but who cares since like i said its a game...

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I just think that the image of the jawa being used as a club is funnier.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Wow. Just wow. Raven in for the win.

Wow.

I'm stunned. Speechless even.

As for the original question the story was good to me.

7. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    ...:_| ....

okay. not a good idea to make this thread. i think evrybody loved kotor so much because it was a solid and extensive star wars game unlike shorter action sw games before it. Sorry you guys dont see things my way, but i think its a waste of game. the story is a little to hokey for my likings, the characters have been done so many times in every rpg known to man, and the game has some issues that conflict with the star wars universe that came about before this game i.e. Juhani doesnt look like a cathar, the miraluka were not obliterated, there was no sith named "Marko Ragnos" (idiots came close, but not close enough), can't remember if Ludo Kressh is on Korriban or not, but he and Naga Sadow would definetly not be buried on Korriban, the line of the jedi code "there is no chaos, there is harmony" is made up and added to the real code laid forth by Odan-Urr, and the list goes on and on, (pm me for more). can anybody else give me some straight and insightful comments? or better yet concur?

8. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Can't even understand you.

Someone git this sucka' outta' my sight.

9. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    Is darklord the only one who can give me a straight response? (thanks by the way). I think you guys are annoyed by me because you cant argue against me. I was just wondering if anybody else out there agreed with me or can prove me wrong.

10. JamanMosil

JamanMosil Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2004
    I'm sure you're right in your complaints...the thing is, most people don't notice those things. I didn't. I just played an extremely well thought-out, well-done game. It was supremely interesting and I loved to play it...it may have not been perfect as far as details go...but not every game can be perfect. I haven't played KOTOR 2, so can't speak for that. But no, I can't argue with your points...I just don't think they make this game less fun to play. :)

11. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Well considering the last three "Tales Of The Jedi" comic series blew huge chunks. I really have no problems with how KOTOR falls in with the EU. It's just another separate set of fiction much like how the EU is a separate set of fiction from the movies. To say you hate it becaus eit doesn't mesh with the EU is a bit absurd.

12. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    None of the EU interconnects with each other. If you want really good connections, watch the Movies.

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Attention whore.

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    It was a decent enough game, but highly overrated by the masses.

I played thru it once as a lightsider. Keep trying to play thru it as a darksider, but i'm just bored.

15. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Meh, to each his own, n'est pas?

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, I don't exactly love the KotORs to death, either. I played them, I kinda liked them, they were entertaining enough, but that's it. They're not the best games ever for me, like to so many people and not even the best Star Wars games.
    But it's not the story's fault, especially not in comparison to literature-EU - I think that's a little nitpicky

but then again, I don't even like RPGs

17. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    I agree. the games did get boring. Also, i dont only hate this game because it doesnt mesh with the EU, but also because of its silly story and overdone characters. they make this game just like any other rpg (except this one is set in the star wars universe). I just think this game is obscenely overrated. I imagine this was a first rpg for alot of people, but if you like the story telling and characters you will probably like any other rpg just as much! I reccommend Skies of Arcadia. If you really don't like turnbased fighting, Tales of Symphonia. And if you want a game thats alot the same but with a better story and characters, play Jade Empire. I just can't believe how popular this game is...

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    1) Raven/Gandy, you rock possibly a lot.

2) I agree with pat.

3) Weren't we supposed to kill two puppies if there were any more KotOR threads?

4) If you don't like the game, don't play it. Not having finished the original yet for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that FPS make me very ill very fast, I can't comment on the whole story, but from what I've seen and read about it the story isn't too bad. Sure the characters may be similar to other characters in other games, but that's true for so many games and movies now days. Look at Tomb Raider, you could say that Lara Croft is a female Indiana Jones, but the game still manages to hold its own (besides this last one but let's not go there).

5) How can we argue against your opinion. It's what you think and feel, nothing we say will change your mind so why try?

19. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    I agree. the games did get boring. Also, i dont only hate this game because it doesnt mesh with the EU, but also because of its silly story and overdone characters. they make this game just like any other rpg (except this one is set in the star wars universe). I just think this game is obscenely overrated. I imagine this was a first rpg for alot of people, but if you like the story telling and characters you will probably like any other rpg just as much! I reccommend Skies of Arcadia. If you really don't like turnbased fighting, Tales of Symphonia. And if you want a game thats alot the same but with a better story and characters, play Jade Empire. I just can't believe how popular this game is...

WTH? Your bagging on KOTOR for it's story and characters and then go on to suggest Skies Of Arcadia and TOS. Are you insane? SOA had an infinitely worse story, the story was so mind numbingly predictable that I was slamming my head against the wall in frustration and the characters were so irritating that I wanted to punch something. The same goes for TOS (although TOS is far more interesting then SOA). Not only that but the both fall into the standard JRPG mold, heroes town gets trashed so he must travel the world to the fire/earth/wind/water dungeon and either collect crystal or infuse the Aeris clone with elemental energy, ugh! Your opinion has been rendered null and void by that suggestion.

20. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, to each his own, but whats so great about kotor anyways? Its a star wars rpg? big deal! play d20 and you get a better story and more control of your character! I reccommended SOA because it is one of the most enjoyable rpgs to play and the characters are cool and different. TOS.... fair enough owen, but i suggested it because of its combat system really. So can anybody tell me whats ground-breaking, incredible, or award winning about kotor?

21. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
  22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Seriously, why do we really need to worry about canonicity, accuracy and details.
    KOTOR is just a good solid RPG that ANYBODY can pick up and enjoy, it's just a diversion from the mundane, and it's depth, scope and otherwise epic story make it one of the best Star Wars games, and one of the best games ever.

23. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    The story issues are really nothing you can't blame on typos.

24. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I will make a prediction.

The person who made this thread is nine years old.

GO BACK TO ******* ENGLISH SCHOOL ******!!!

25. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't care much for most of the Japanese RPGs I?ve played, FFVII among them. FFIV and FFVI were better than FFVII in my opinion, having far better plots and cleaner graphics. Generally, Japanese RPGs feel too run on rails to me, they make me feel like a spectator, not someone who can influence the plot.

I much prefer North American RPGs like Morrowind and Baldur?s Gate II and Bloodlines and Torment. Knights of the Old Republic was a great game in that mould, though not quite so good as Baldur?s Gate I or II. Certainly the graphics were far prettier, but the story was very similar to that of Baldur?s Gate I and the dialog falls short of Baldur?s Gate II.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.