main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blasphemy to the Masses

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi_Authority, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Authority

Jedi_Authority Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    KOTOR is just a good solid RPG that ANYBODY can pick up and enjoy, it's just a diversion from the mundane, and it's depth, scope and otherwise epic story make it one of the best Star Wars games, and one of the best games ever.

What are you talking about? Obviously I didn't pick it up and enjoy it! And isn't every game a diversion from the mundane (unless its Harvest Moon or something)? Depth you say? Not half as deep or epic as a Final Fantasy RPG. One of the best games ever? No. Its just another RPG, but it has the outward appeal to bring in those who are not particularly fond of the typical Japanese RPG. Overall this game is not unique or award winning. Only reason it won so many awards was because no good games came out that year! Take a look for yourself!

I am 16 by the way. I'll be taking my second AP English class this year.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I won't argue about the FF games being epic, but "deep" is definitely the wrong word to describe them. If you want ?deep? in terms of writing and storytelling, go play Planescape: Torment, which blows any of the FF games right out of the water. If you want ?deep? in terms of how much potential content the game has, go play Morrowind, where the path through the game will differ wildly depending on your style of play and just about every situation can be handled in several different ways.

Also, as an aside, Planescape: Torment is the most epic game out there: you save or destroy every single reality depending on your choices in the game. I?ve seen games where you save the continent, where you save the world, where you save the universe, or where you save multiple universes, but Torment is the only game I can think of where you save everything that ever was, is or will be.

3. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    I agree with you. But those are also games that blow KOTOR out of the water. I love Morrowind, but I didn't mention it because its not a typical RPG. I still see no reason this game is so great.

4. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say GTHOTB attention-whore. You're worse than FoM.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Morrowind is closer to the ideal of an RPG than just about any other RPG out there. It's a massively single player role-playing game. You want to be a pearl diver living on the beach? Go for it. You want to be a mass murdering werewolf or vampire? Go for it. You want to be a missionary, bringing the light of the Imperial gods to the heathens? Go for it. You want to be a master thief, breaking into the vaults of the rich and powerful? Go for it. You want to be recognized as a mighty Archmage? Go for it. You want to be an adventurer, trying to climb every mountain and exploring underwater temples? Go for it. You want to be a missionary, ensuring that the old ways and worship of the old demons gods continue? Go for it.

And yes, there?s a main plot you can follow that leads to saving the world, but it?s not really necessary. It was months after getting the game that I bothered trying to beat it.

It doesn?t involve having a party, the main quest isn?t a priority unless you make it a priority, but it?s definitely an RPG, one of the most amazing out there.

6. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Anyone played the "Realms of Arcania" trilogy ? THIS is real RPG to me ! ;)

7. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Jedi, I guess I can understand your problems with the story. But that is the Expanded Universe for you, to be honest.

I guess the reason why many people considers KOTOR I and II to be great was because they're good games, compared to other games produced by Lucasarts.

Do you had any problems with the gamesplay?

8. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I love the second and like the first one, I thought the second one's story is great. Too long of games to replay several times though .

9. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    See for me it seems like Japanese RPGs have the feel of reading a good book. American RPGs put you in the heroes shoes. Either way, I enjoy them both (the good ones anyways) equally.

As for KOTOR, my game started screwing up on Dantooine, I uninstalled it, thinking maybe it was a bad install. Found out my problem was my video card, and found a fix. Went to reinstall, and Disk 3 (Yes, PC) has a scratch that won't let me finish the install... I am unhappy...

But that can't be true because of all the awards it won. I mean you can't judge a book by its cover, but any game that says "Winner of 2 billion zillion jillion GOTY Awards" Must have done SOMETHING right. *cough*Half-life*cough*

10. Jedi_Authority

Aug 9, 2005
    I'll admit and have earlier in this thread, KOTOR has really fun gameplay. Its the only thing I really liked about this game. But then Jade Empire came along and kicked the crap out of KOTOR once and for all. I'm glad to see I've been getting responses other than "your stupid". Thanks everybody!

11. MountainGoat67

MountainGoat67 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    The reason I hate KOTOR 1&2 is cuz their not for PS2. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.