main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blaster weathering...

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Forcebewitya, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hello all, I have heard a lot of ways to go about this, but either I have forgotten them or something...anyway I was wondering how you go about it. Ecspecially on a Blaster that is already Painted black? How do you go about that...so if any of you have any helpful hints I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Forcebewitya!

2. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    what is it actually made out of?

i read someone's post about layering paint and sand papering off the top layer, but i would think that what it's made of would make a difference as well =P

EDIT:**slip of thought** i would also say that the type of paint would determine what you do also

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    What I've heard a lot of 501st people recomend is taking a can of gray or silver spray paint and spraying a piece of cardboard or something, then taking a dry brush and allying that to the gun. Just in the places it would get the most wear. Look at it in the holster to see where it rubs, or set it on a table and see what parts are touching, then paint those parts. But don't over do it or it will look fake.

4. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    there are a couple of techniques. the dry brush method above will work well.

what i would do is get some krylon silver paint and paint the whole blaster silver. 2 coats should do the job. then take some liquid latex or liquid mask and paint that on the parts that you want to be silvered or weathered. next paint on a couple coats of semi-flat black. let it dry and then remove the latex/mask. this will produce some an effect similar to metal scratches. dry brush on some minor highlights and seal it with a matte clear coat.

an important thing to remember is there is a such thing as too much weathering. you have to find a good balance.

hope that helps.

5. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    That sounds like a good method darthgoat. I like the idea that as the black paint wears over time, it will be replaced by silver, possibly giving it a more realistic look :)

6. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I just weathered my blaster last night. I took one of my wife's scrap book pens - a silver ink pen (very fine) and used it to edge silver wear to the edges. It's a very bright silver, so I'm going to "mist" it with black spray paint to dull it down a bit. Works well!

Scott

7. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Thanks for all of the help! I think I might try one of the methods probably the silver ink pen one or the brush one, because I am already done with my Gun (except for the weatering part) Thanks for all your help again!

Forcebewitya!

8. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    So I weathered my blaster... I used the brush technique and it worked well for me. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions soon I will post some pics of my gun.

Forcebewitya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.