main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Blaster Worm Virus affecting our site......

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by BobaFett-MP, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    I'm sure some of you (well, maybe just me!) have seen that at around 2:30am the server seems to go offline. That's because of the new Blaster Worm virus that you've all heard about. It isn't damaging anything, but it's just clogging up the network so the data can't get out to you. Most of you will never know this is happening as they get it back up pretty fast, and are working hard on finding a way to stop it. I just wanted to send out an FYI in case you do see it down.

Britt

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Uh, why don't they just block the proper ports at the router/firewall? In fact, they should only have the ports they need open. Since the blaster worm comes in on 135, one of the common Windows File Sharing ports, that should definitely be blocked. Just my .02 as someone who works on this kind of thing everyday.

Of course, I'm assuming the servers are already patched up. The bug has been fixed since early July.

3. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    It's not that easy Barry...

The Servers are in Chicago... and I think if they could just have done that they already would. Our servers are not being attacked, but the servers in the building are and thus they are creating a LOT of traffic on the network and bogging it down.

4. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    It's not that easy Barry...

Actually physical location doesn't matter. You don't need physical access to the machine to setup port blocking. And actually, you don't need access to the machine at all if it's being done right. I don't want to get to into this though, as I'm sure they're doing what they can. Suffice it to say, when things are setup properly, reconfigurations can be done from anywhere with an Internet connection.

5. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Well, I don't have access to it... And I'm sure they do have access to the servers... but Frank (server guy) just calls the people in Chicago and they go and look at the servers. Nothing he or them can do at this point except restart the servers to block the worm's traffic.

6. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    LJ & BF-MP,

that blasted worm has the net sloooooooowed up at the server farm place I work at.

The past two nights I been trying to check my e-mail and it's been reminding me of what it was like attempting to use Netzero on my home PC two years ago....

Yup -- that slow! :(

7. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Yeah, I've been noticing some other sites I try to get to have been slow this past week. The worm's affecting everything.

8. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Well you have my sympathies, our site has been down this morning as well. We are hosted by the Seattle Star Wars Society (our servers are at Microsoft in Seattle) my guess is the Blaster worm got them too as the SSWS's website is down as well. Liningup.net is hosted by them too, and as suspected, they are down as well. *sob* *sniff* This isn't good as we have a meeting today. :(

9. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Well, SDSWS appears to be back up so that's good news! They're usually quick about the whole thing. It's not usually that they are down, just super super super slow so they appear to be down. Most of the time it's so slow the borwser just gives up and does the 'page cannot be found'. All it really takes is a restart of the servers to bring the traffic back online.

Glad to see you're up and running!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.