main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blasters...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Aldon, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldon

Aldon Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2003
    After doing some research, I think that the "blasters" of StarWars aren't that far off. I think it was the U.S. army that developed a laser cannon that would be similar to the anti-tank rifles of WWII. Except it can fire for more than an hour straight. And during one minute, the is .17 of a second it doesn't fire.

Also, look on futurehorizons.net. The have laser pistols for sale. At $1200, they are a little expensive, considering they're fairly weak and have to align after each burst.

The U.S. army also is testing a "Zeus" anti-air laser that has shot down several missles (accoring to Pop. Mechanics) and could theoretically be mounted in an aircraft.

Actual laser rifles like the E-11 don't seem far off, do they?

2. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    That's interesting...

3. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    [face_shocked] Maybe they will have lightsabers soon, seriously. I would buy one.

4. Aldon

Aldon Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2003
    The futurehorizons.net site actually has plasma sabres that look just like light sabres, except the gases that light up are encased in glass. Still pretty nifty, though.

Also, I saw a plane mounted laser in Pop. Mechanics. It was an X-Wing crossed with a 747.

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    The futurehorizons.net site actually has plasma sabres that look just like light sabres, except the gases that light up are encased in glass. Still pretty nifty, though.

I have a friend who has an Obi-Wan version of that. It even makes some psudo realistic sounds when you swing it, they are cool.

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    This is why the future is always fascinating to me. I always look foward to the day when something in Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon Five, X-Files, etc. comes true or is on the verge of becoming real.

The science-fiction of today is the science of the future.

Perhaps one day, I will be able to own a "blaster" before I die. :)

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course, you all should know that there actually aren't any lasers in the Star Wars movies at all. Lasers travel at the speed of light; the brightly colored beams in the movies go much, much slower than that.

8. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That is correct. I forget what kind of energy is contained within a blaster and what kind of energy is extracted from Tibana gas.

9. Aldon

Aldon Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2003
    It's plasma. The gas could be used if contained in a magnetic shield and released, it would produce a blaster-like effect. Plasma missles or "torpedos" could do the same.

10. Aldon

Aldon Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2003
    It's plasma. The gas could be used if contained in a magnetic shield and released, it would produce a blaster-like effect. Plasma missles or "torpedos" could do the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.