main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blatant Ripoff

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lucius, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucius

Lucius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2004
    Alright everybody. I just rented the last installment of "The Matrix" the other day, and I must say, I'm completely appalled. And let me tell you why: a lot of the scenes (excluding most of those with Neo) are a blatant rip off of The OT. Now, hopefully what I'm about to say won't merit a ban.
    Watch carefully every scene inside a hover craft. Notice the layout of the cockpit. It's pretty much the Millennium Falcon, and I think that if you compare them, you'll agree (Look at where the pilot and copilot are sitting, as well as the camera angle and the position of the door to the cockpit, plus the seats and the navigational controls).
    Morpheus also uses quite a few lines of Lando's (and I'm not imagining that because he's black, you can watch the movie and you'll easily find a stressed, "I'M TRYING I'M TRYING" just like Lando's in the Battle of Endor) and so does Jada Pinkett Smith's character ("Hold together baby" anyone?).
    And here's another great one: Pinkett Smith is flying the hover craft down a narrow maintenance tunnel, and you see the satelite dish get knocked off the top of the ship (Attack on the Death Star II?). These are just a few I've gathered up, I wonder if anyone else has noticed these obvious similarities. I'm sure there are tons more. You'd think the Wakasocki brothers would try to cover that up a little better.

2. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Revolutions wasn't that good of a movie compared to its predecessors. Same as ROTJ wasn't as good as its predecessors. Something to think about.

PS: It's "Wachowski". ;)

3. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    1) Alright, fine Darth-Jett, but that's not the point. Did you or did you not observe the things listed?

2) Try not to think of the movies individually, but the whole trilogy as a whole. The OT compliments itself, and cannot be split up into any specific "better part" or "worse part". Star Wars is a god-like movie entity that would blow the comprehensive capabilities of most peoples' brains.

3) I called them the Wakasockis on purpose. Hope you don't mind.

Next please.

4. Fox609

Fox609 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 1999
    And when Neo blew up the Death Star.. man what a ripoff! This thread is a joke right?

5. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Read it carefully man. I'm not saying EVERYTHING was a rip-off, but the hover-scenes were mostly all influenced by the trilogy. Watch it closely and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's definitely there, and I know I'm not the only one who notices it.

6. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    Well.. I'm sure Star Wars has inspired a lot of sci fi franchises out there, but I wouldn't go as far to say that said scenes were blatiant ripoffs. I'm sure there are similarities. No offence, but I think you're taking it a bit far. I just compared both cockpits as well & I don't think the cockpit of the Neb is pretty much the same as the MF.

7. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Whether you think the Neb and the Falcon's cockpits look the same or not, you know that those dialog bits and the satelite scene were both lifted directly from the Trilogy. And I know there are more similarities. I can't remember all the ones I noted, but if the Wakasockis put three in there, there are bound to be more.

8. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    "Im trying, im trying" or "Hold it together baby" are used in many other films besides Revoultions...are those rip-offs as well?

9. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Alright, don't start flaming me here. If you go back and watch the movies, THAT DIALOG, IN THE CONTEXT, CLEARLY INDICATED IT WAS TAKEN FROM THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY. Now, watch the scene wear the satelite falls off and deny that anything I'm saying is true. The Wakasockis used MF scenes as the basis for the hovercraft scenes. And in these instances, they just took pieces of MF dialog and slapped them into the HC scenes. Go and investigate my claims before you flame me any further. I swear to you that if you watch the trilogy, then watch Revolutions and look for the similarities I'm telling you about and any others you come across, you will agree with me.

10. Shiro

Jul 9, 2004
    "Alright, don't start flaming me here."

I wasnt flaming you, I was only making a point.

11. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    Do you know how often phrases like "I'm trying! I'm trying!" & "Hold together, baby." are in movies and TV? I suppose everyone who has used that ripped off Star Wars too. Here's a comparison of the cockpits:

[image=http://img45.exs.cx/img45/5268/NEB.jpg]

[image=http://img7.exs.cx/img7/9445/MF.jpg]

Who else thinks they look very similar?

On a side note.. Lucius, I have nothing against you or your opinions, but to me it sounds like you're making bold claims based on a few minor details.

12. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    What was the point? That other films have used those lines? I'm sure they do, but this is most definitely not a simple coincidence. I'm not suggesting conpiracy or plagiarism, I'm just saying I'm disapointed in the Wockawockas because they didn't acknowledge the fact that they lifted lines from a series of movies so dear to all our hearts. Or am I the only one?

13. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    I would say that most people out there will disagree that they lifted those lines.

14. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Fox, get a picture of the cockpits looking in through the wind shield with Fishburn and Pinkett Smith sitting in the seats, and a picture of the same type of Han and Leia or Lando and the funny Mexican mouse. Then you'll see what I'm talking about. The perspective looking INTO both cockpits makes the similarities much more obvious. Trust me.

And also: "Hold together baby" and "I'M trying I'M trying are not that common in this context. Really. Please, before you try to disprove me any further, go and watch what I'm telling you. I swear it's true. You'd agree. THE SATELITE THING MAKES THE FACT THAT THEY ARE USING STAR WARS REFERENCES/LINES VERY CLEAR!

15. Shiro

Jul 9, 2004
    "I would say that most people out there will disagree that they lifted those lines. "

I disagree...I really dont know what your trying to get at here Lucius. Do you hate the "Wockawocka"([face_laugh]) brothers?

16. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    You mean the fact that a pilot and co pilot are sitting side by side means that its a ripoff? Looks like GL can sue a lot of airlines. God forbid that someone uses a similar camera angel in a movie to get a shot of two characters. Why don't YOU get the two said pictures of the cockpit shots and back up your argument?

17. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Yeah man, I'm sorry, but you got nothin' here.

18. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    Would you like for me to cut out the picture, scan it, and e-mail it to you? It seems like I'm being portrayed as the bad guy here. There's no way I can force you to watch the movies and see the truth, so I can't force you to believe me. It happened. And the situation in which it happened completely backs up my argument. Just go and watch it. Maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to, "Kind of a ripoff, more of a similarity" because the people currently flaming me are, "Way too easily offended to take part in a forum with other reasonable people making reasonable suggestions". There's obviously no convincing you people otherwise. You're infallible and obviously always right. Congratulations.

19. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    I'll address your post point by point.

Would you like for me to cut out the picture, scan it, and e-mail it to you? It seems like I'm being portrayed as the bad guy here. There's no way I can force you to watch the movies and see the truth, so I can't force you to believe me.

No, but you could have the decency to show us your proof. Post those pics here. Like I said above, I've seen these movies and your opinion does not make this true.

It happened. And the situation in which it happened completely backs up my argument. Just go and watch it.

Just because you say it's so does not make it so. And again, I HAVE watched the movies. Most of the people here have seen them.

Maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to, "Kind of a ripoff, more of a similarity" because the people currently flaming me are, "Way too easily offended to take part in a forum with other reasonable people making reasonable suggestions".

You're not being flamed, people just disagree with you. You seem to be offended by that. What you could have done was chosen your words better. Saying the scenes are similar and calling them a blatant ripoff are two very different things.

There's obviously no convincing you people otherwise. You're infallible and obviously always right. Congratulations.

I am not the one acting infalible here. I am just playing devil's advocate. I guess since I disagree with you & tried to back up my argument with evidence, something you have yet to do, makes me a horrible person.

20. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    There's obviously no convincing you people otherwise. You're infallible and obviously always right. Congratulations.

Thanks for noticing ;)

Now that you've gotten nowhere on a Star Wars board with the idea, maybe you'd like to try posting your theory on a Matrix board and see what they say?

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    They are probably paying homage to some degree.

Star Wars borrowed elements from westerns, sci fi adventure serials, Kurosawa films, it goes on and on.

Episode I had spinners (the ships from Bladerunner), the escape pod from 2001 (in Watto's junkyard), and the pod race payed homage to Ben-Hur.

It's sort of all referencing a cinematic vocabulary that society has been peicing together over the years.

Revolutions wasn't bad, it was just hard to apreciate.

22. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    That sounds reasonable.

23. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    There is nothing wrong with these movies borrowing from each other. It all depends on how the scenes are executed. I actually cannot even watch the original Matrix movie but love the second (and I enjoy the third). The first is just too "clever" for my taste.

RB

24. Lucius

Sep 2, 2004
    That's the whole point. It's not you guys who should be getting offended, it's the Matrix people who would want to chop off my balls and feed them to sentinels for my blasphemy. I think that the section where Niobe is going all "super-pilot" is far too close to Star Wars for you people to not recognize it. Surely the satelite getting knocked off the top of the MF was one of the more memorable moments of ROTJ, so when the same thing happens in MR, in pretty much the same situation, what's a reasonable person to assume?

25. Fox609

Mar 5, 1999
    I still don't see anyone taking offence, but that's ok. Just trying to have a friendly argument :) I will agree with you there are a few minor similarities, not rip offs, from the OT. Happy now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.