main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Blatent Drive for Post #32,057

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Le_Penguin, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Aww, don't be scared Schph, Kitty says so....

[image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/929272/ewok_cat.jpg]

You don't want to make them mad, they've been known to destroy entire technological empires with pointy sticks, and great big rocks.

Besides, Haz started it!!!

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    YubYub Commander!

3. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    My Review of Spamalot:

Just got back from Spamalot. A huge disapointment. Most of the new humor was unfunny. Most of the new songs were unremarkable (with the exception of David Hyde-Pierce's).
    The talent of the main players (Pierce, Curry & Azaria) was highly underused, with many of the supporting players getting their own songs and bits overshadowing the people we really wanted to see. The female lead (yes they created one) was cute and had a great voice, but she WAY over-does it (which I'm sure she was directed to do) very annoying. Some skits and songs didn't really mesh with the whole feeling of "The Holy Grail" (or even have anything to do with it). And the absolute worst coreography and dance execution I've ever seen on a professional stage (fifty styles in 50 minutes!). Thumbs Down big time.

With all that said there were some really hot chicks dancing in skimpy lingerie and heels....so it wasn't a total loss.

Bosh
    "We'll never make it on Broadway." - Sir Robbin

4. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Dave is, as the French say, "high." The show wasn't phenomenal: there are too many songs and it's impossible not to compare the gags lifted directly from the film with the film itself (the film wins every time, but that's hardly a surprise.)

The coreography wasn't good, but I think it was intentionally that way. Not like "hey let's have horrible dancing", but like "listen, we're not going to give too much of a poo about the dancing, ok? it's a spoof of braodway; let's get some people out there twirling around once in a while."

Overall, I enjoyed it. To hold it up against true Python would be unfair (that's why I wasn't too keen on some of the straight-ripoffs), so I pretty much saw it as a goofy musical with enough funny gags and songs to recommend.

Sara Ramirez was hit-or-miss. Great rack aside (thank you, balcony seating) her songs were either really good (the cow's song and the just-brief-enough "what happened to my part?" bit) or forgettable ("burn her!") More than anyone else in the show, she sank or swam on the quality of the songs themselves. If the tune was funny, she pulled it off great; if it wasn't funny, she was stuck singing a mediocre song. The Tribune refers to her as "the lost Python" which is a huge over-statement, but I liked her nonetheless.

Dave's right about one thing: Sir Robin's song is easily the best musical number in the show, followed closely by the cow's song.

If you're expecting something something from the mind(s) that ridiculed a member at his funeral and made the funniest movie about Jesus until Mel Gibson came along (I laughed harder at "Passion of the Christ" than I have since "Platoon") then you'll be disappointed. Idle plays is safe for most of the show, but it's still funny.

-Le Penguin
    "Message for you, sir."

5. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, I would say this, if you're a bigger Python fan than a Theater Fan, then I'd say go see it, but if you're a big theater critic (I consider myself as big of a theater snob as a movie snob) then you'd probably find it more painful than not.

I give it one season on Broadway due to the names in the cast, I doubt a second-string cast would be able to carry it, even on a tour. I'll be really curious as to what the NYC critics say about it when it hits.

Bosh

"RUN AWAY!"

6. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    you're just a snob period, Bosh...

:p

7. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Dog be praised! Someone in Georgia isn't a moron:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/13/evolution.textbooks.ruling/index.html

-Le Penguin
    "If evolution is outlawed, then only outlaws will evolve"

8. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Wow! I'm impressed folks in Georgia could even read the stickers!

9. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Of course, evolution IS a theory, and probably always will be. I doubt there will ever be enough evidence to prove it conclusively. And the Bible is mythology (as is the Torah and Qu'ran), and I doubt there will ever be enough evidence to prove it conclusively. Sure, there are mounds of hints and ideas, but short of a time machine and a really good time-lapse camera, they will all just be theories.

Of course, you all seem to be missing the obvious answer: evolution is real, guided by the careful hand of a Supreme Being.

"To be God you need to have a light touch and when you do things right, people aren't sure if you've done anything at all."

10. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I would agure that evolution as an explanation for creation is a theory, the process of evolution is a fact.

11. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Technically, evolution is a theory, just as the idea that the earth revolves around the sun is a theory, too. One of the finer points of the judgement was that creationists are using "theory" in the layman's sense of the term (i.e. a "hunch") where "hypothesis" is the accurate term. The idea is to make kids believe that a scientific theory is just some notion with no more weight to it than something you'd find in the bible.

I'd type more, but I'd just get angry again. Today's ruling was a victory for common sense in a region that has been suffering from a drought of it lately.

btw, Haz's quote about god can just as easily be applied to the devil.

-Le Penguin
    "The ace of spades is bent."

12. JediAutobot

Dec 3, 2000
    I would agree with both statements :)

13. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "Point is we're at the center not you!" -Err

14. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Hazmatt's quote applies to Sith Lords too...well Darth Sidious I suppose....Maul just looked like the Devil and killed people.

Bosh

"God is innocent of existence until proven guilty."

15. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Geeze, Dave, it's always about Star Wars with you!

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
  17. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Though rumored to be one of the biggest @$$4013$ this side of Jerry Lewi$...he sure was funny and endearing on stage.

Johnny Carson, we hardly new ye....10/23/25-1/23/05

Bosh
    "HERE'S JOHNNY!!....lying in a pine box!"

18. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    "At Last revealed, the dark side is"

I didnt know it was hiding

and i need at least 2 pregnant Padme lego's one to open, and one to keep mint in package for my unborn childrens college fund.

Sucks that J.C died too but you never know, he may rise again in 3 days

This worries me

19. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I just hope they don't build they death star where I think they might be building it.

20. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Don't worry, they're building it someplace else.

21. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
  22. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Haha, mindless entertainment where I get to beat things with a bat. I Love It! Thanks H!

23. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    The Original Yeti Sports

See the complete collection. My favorites are #2 (I think) where you chuck the penguin in the air and bounce it off the walrus tusks and the "golfing across Africa" one. A flamingo as a golf club? Comedy gold!

24. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Stoopit wyte peeple

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-us-10-l2&flok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050209%2F1738522912.htm&sc=1110&photoid=20050209BD801

25. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Here's 4 Star Wars Nerds at the Car Show:

http://www.dodge-lifecard.com/index.cfm?action=main.enlargePhoto&current_photo_index=1

That should get you to the page...if not...use code:

axpdk kfa9c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.