main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Blatent drive for post #......er....what number are we on?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediJeff13, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
  2. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
  3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Koalas are very cute, but a lot of people don't realize that they're real jerks, too.

No, really. They're antisocial pricks.

-Le Penguin
    "Koalas look cuddly, but I am led to understand that they're actually irritable, solitary beasts who do not want belly rubs. What kind of mocking God created creatures with poofy ears and big black noses that don't want belly rubs?"

4. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I just mentioned Connery on another thread, so I feel the need to remind everyone of this internet gem:

http://www.yourethemannowdog.com/

-Le Penguin
    ... do I really need to say it?

5. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey man.....I know you still have it, so post that link to all the SNL Jeopardy skits, would ya?

6. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Sorry, G. No more link. It got lost -along with a lot of other links- when I wiped the personal settings from my (former) work computer.

Most of those clips can readily be found on most file-sharing networks, tho.

-Le Penguin
    "My mail is piled up like crazy."

7. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    I know a lot of us are cross-over geeks, and in the case of Bosh, cross-dressing geeks, so I offer this:

5 Year Mission

It's a darn good Star Trek fan film site. Their spin, though, is imagining what would have happened if the Original Series had not been canceled and allowed to go the full five years. The first episode they have done, "Come What May", has been designed to be the first episode of season 4. It's pretty good, you should download and watch it. Don't believe me? Here's what other Chicago Force members are saying about it:

Hazmatt: It's pretty good, you should download and watch it. Don't believe me? Ask other members of Chicago Force and see what they say.

Bosh Talk: It's alright...for ******g Star Trek dorks.

Hawkbat: i liked it but i am normaly a next generation fan i hope they do more maybe with a baby picard

JediJeff: A stellar effort, but still looks like a fan film. I'll reserve judgement until the next episode comes out.

NOTJediJeff: This thing blows. I feel stupider for having watched it. Did I just say "stupider"? See, it's starting already...

Sithman: Uhura is teh hawt!

Thom Solo: Wow, they did a good job, especially with the new space scenes. The visions of the future were nice, but it's a one-time gimmick, they shouldn't use it again.

Darth Astuart: "Come What May" from 5yearmission.com is one of the better fan films I have seen in recent years. The story is solid and the acting was above average for this kind of production. The space scenes were excellent, and I am continually amazed at the quality of work that can be produced on home computers these days. It was great to see the Enterprise move and fight like the "ship of the line" is was supposed to be. The dream-sequence visions of the future were especially well-done, but they should be, having the films readily available on tape to compare to.

In fact, it was so well-done that I started to lose the 'fan-film' feeling and watch this as a studio production. And it was so close, too. Unfortunately, it seemed that right after something brilliant was presented, some detail would rear it's ugly head and drag back into the land of the amateur. Case in point: the actor playing Kirk (I think) does a wonderful job of playing Kirk WITHOUT playing Shatner. It took me a while to realize it, but when I did, I was stunned. We tend to get so wrapped up in the actor/character link that we forget that they are two separate individuals. This actor was able to capture the essence of James Tiberious Kirk without having to copy William Shatner's mannerisms. It's great. Then we get slapped with Spock, who is not so much being played as a Vulcan as he is a human with a board up his a**. And Scotty has an Irish accent? What gives? They couldn't rent Braveheart a few times to get the dialogue right?

I know, I know, it's just a fan-film, I shouldn't be so critical. It's just frustrating to see the potential they had to be great, only to fall short on a few little details. I eagerly await the second installment.

8. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Wow... I'm beginning to fear that Hazmatt is truly psychic (in addition to being a psychO), because I think he captured our probable reactions with uncanny accuracy....

9. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I try to use my powers for Good, not Evil. You just need to figure out what my definitions of "good" and "evil" are. I can kill you with my brain, though.

10. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    Psychic, he is not. For I would never, ever call myself stupid.

The rest of you losers, though? I have passed judgement.

11. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    I will point out that I did not use the term "stupid", but [sic] "stupider", which is a quantitative statement. You could be quite intelligent and still obtain a lower level to become 'more stupid'.

12. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    Gonna go there, eh HazzMatt?

You don't want to get in a battle of wits with me. Little unfair fight, don't you think? Same goes for the rest of you dorks. Don't you freaks have some Sci-Fi mini series or something to tape?

13. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    A battle of wits would be unfair, indeed. You're only half-qualified.

And learn to spell my name correctly.

14. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Dave Blood, bass player for The Dead Milkmen, decided to take his own life last night.

A moment of silence, please.

15. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    WAIT A MINUTE

I didn't even see that thing and i don't remeber saying baby picard i think your putting words in my mouth.

16. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    I didn't even get to see that thing and I don't remeber saying baby picard.

17. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    it's a beach party vietnam
    surfin with the viet cong
    cookin hot dogs with napalm
    a beach party vietnam

franky and annette were layin in the sand
    when franky got a letter from his uncle sam
    said "get moon-dog and all of your friends
    you're all invited to a ..."

beach party vietnam
    a beach party vietnam

hey franky, aren't you gonna give me your class ring? i'm afraid i can't do that, annette.
    why not?
    cause i don't have any arms! aughhh!!!

beach party vietnam
    a beach party vietnam

annette she wants franky's ring
    franky wants annettes thing
    they're layin on the west coast
    there's gonna be a weiner roast

beach party vietnam
    a beach party vietnam

-Le Penguin
    "she said 'nothin man, it's stolen'"

18. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
  19. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    For about the first half of this trailer, I was quietly optimistic... "Will Smith seems to be doing his Will Smith routine, but it might still be good... they're keeping the central theme" etc etc.

Then the action movie music started up, and ideas were replaced with guns and one-liners.

Sigh...

http://mp3content01.bcst.yahoo.com/proot1/PubShare03/yahoomovies/6/5843687.mov

-Le Penguin
    SYLSB

20. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    No thankyou kilts are not for me.

21. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Um, let's see. Let's take a classic, favorite sci-fi story and completely change into something stupid. Nice.

And the last line of the trailer, "Did that Frank Murphy boy beat you up again?" makes me wonder: is this a Asimov/Blue Thunder crossover?

22. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    It looks like Sci-Fi channel will be making a series on the Earthsea books.

They did an excellent job on Dune, I don't want to talk about Battlestar Galactica, and I am neutral on Children of Dune. We'll just have to see how they adapt this one.

23. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The always awesome Strong Bad celebrates his 100th email this week. Where has the time gone...?

www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

-Le Penguin
    "Three trophies for The Cheat!"

24. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    nice try channeling me, hazmatt. you got one thing wrong, though.

i'd rather dip my fingers in acid than read fanfic.

check this, tho.

http://www.i-mockery.com/generalzod/saint-patricks.asp

you will KNEEL before ST. ZOD!!!

25. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't know why I am on a Star Trek kick lately, but I thought this was cool:

Trek-style communicatior

And Matt, I think I see your problem. You were trying to read it when it is a video file. Try again in the "watch it" mode and see how it goes. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.