***BLENDER*** Help, forum links, tutorials, etc.

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by DVeditor, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Here's the download page. Its set up like sourceforge. Each project has a homepage, and a page on the developer's website. The files are all on the developer's website.

Download Files

- What you want is just MakeHuman. Its at the top. Unfortunately, its Alpha Winter, which if I remember correctly has some limited functionality.

EDIT (URL is weird, so you have to copy and paste. I think its the three dashes)
    http://feeblemind.homeip.net/dotclear/index.php/2005/04/11/23-didacticiel-modelisation-dun-nouveau-target---modeling-a-new-target]

- Here's a tutorial that explains what MakeHuman is/does, and shows you how to use it a bit more than my explanation.

2. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well its a start. Thanks.
  3. artofwot Force Ghost

star 3
    Beginning Blender: An Introduction: Click Here
    An excellent beginner tutorial for Blender 2.3x (and up). It goes over adding basic shapes, adding basic materials and texturs, basic lighting, basic animation, etc.
    Oh yeah... err... I wrote it.

Basic Materials And Textures In Blender: Part One: Click Here
    A fairly good tutorial on basic materials and textures.
    Err... yep, I wrote this one as well.

Modeling A Stargate In Blender: Part One: Click Here
    WARNING: Video tutorial... 10 MB and in the Quicktime Format
    A fairly good (but deinetly not my best) video tutrial on modeling a rough stargate.
    I still haven't gotten time to get the second part up.

Widgets, Widgets, Widgets: Click Here
    WARNING: Video tutorial... 3.05 MB and in the Quicktime Format
    A pretty good, short tutorial on using widgets inside of Blender.

That's it for now... all of them are written (or recorded) by me.
  4. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
  5. artofwot Force Ghost

star 3
    Thanks! :D

I am planning on doing quite a lot more video tutorials, but with better audio quality (I just got a windscreen for my micophone), better examples... and hopefully in future videos I'll be a bit more organized.
  6. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm looking for a good tutorial on how to make a waterfall in blender. Any help? And no, particals won't do the trick.
  7. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Check out this (
    http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40404&highlight=waterfall&sid=8987e0cd283a4c653e2529f2be311bb4 ) Elysiun thread. I think they used particles for it.

If that doesn't work, the Blender CVS has a version of blender with some new fluid simulation tools. You can check that out at http://projects.blender.org/.

Hope that helps!

8. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats a start. But what I need is like Niagra Falls.

Edit: A better example would be Naboo's waterfalls.
  9. Mithrawnurodo Force Ghost

star 2
    I have Blender 2.36 and 2.37 on my G4 iBook and I cant get either version to render so much as a starfield. When I click the "render" or "animate" button absolutely nothing happens. I have tried redownloading and it makes no difference. I also have the two versions on a G3 imac(a 500megahertz monster of processing power lol) and it renders fine most of the time, although I sometimes cant animate models from blenderwars in it.
    I also believe I am supposed to be able to import quicktime into blender to edit and I cant get it to. Can anyone help me? [-o|
  10. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do you have problems with the interface, or just rendering? I tried using Blender on a G4 ibook recently, and I had to switch to a different screen resolution (lower). Check this out too, http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Graphics_Cards.201.0.html

Its possible with a feature called the Video Sequence Editor. Check out the image below.

http://img325.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutorial7mo.jpg

Switch the window to Video Sequence Editor (the window dropdown is shown). Then just click ADD (highlited, and Video).

To render, you must select DO SEQUENCE (under the ANIM button).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Link Problem

11. Mithrawnurodo Force Ghost

star 2
  12. Mithrawnurodo Force Ghost

star 2
    Im not sure how but somehow I reposted your message, sorry. I can now get blender to accept quicktime but it still will not play back the finished animation. Do you know why?
  13. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    When you say playback, do you mean render? Make sure that DO SEQUENCE is pressed down, then press ANIM, and it will create the video file. When finished, press PLAY (by ANIM) and it will play it back.

I'm not sure how to preview an animation. I honestly would stay away from Blender for advanced video editing if your new to the blender interface. Most of the same shortcuts that you need to know for 3d manipulation are applicable in the video sequencer. I would recommend that you try a different freeware program for editing (like Jashaka) because they're more powerful and easier to use for a blender virgin.

I hope thats what you meant in your question. Good luck!

14. Mithrawnurodo Force Ghost

star 2
    I press down the do sequence button and when I push the animate button it animates for the right number of frames but the object wont move. Then I push play and the button just depresses without anything happening.
    And im not exactly new to the Blender interface, I can use it ok on my G3 desktop, although I still have problems with it sometimes. And since ive had nothing but trouble from it, I think im going to shell out for Electric Image Universe.
    Thanks a lot for all your help. :)
  15. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    What object? If the video wont play, do you have it set at frame zero? Its the number on the left of the "bar" of video.

Did you ever resolve your previous problem with Blender, and rendering 3d objects? Could it be that problem still unresolved?

Sorry. Just assumed, because you didn't seem to know about the ANIM button (or so I thought). I think I missread your question. Either way, sorry.

Regardless of wiether (thats a hard word to spell) you can work around the interface, its still not very powerful. They're actually developing a application using blender source code for a dedicated video editor (called Positron), but its in the very Alpha stages. Here's the link.

EDIT: Was looking through the thread again, and noticed your first post, and the version of Blender you use. Have you upgraded to 2.37a? I know there were several critical problems fixed with 2.37a.
  16. Mithrawnurodo Force Ghost

star 2
    I suppose I cant blame you for thinking I am an absolute newbie to Blender :) but I have been attempting to use it for months, on the G3 I have rendered out TIEs, X-Wings, explosions, fireworks, etc but I always struggled with it and when I switched to the iBook it just seemed to stop working entirely. And the only thing that is keeping me from buying Electric Image now is the fact that I dont know if it accepts 3DS files.
  17. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    Can someone help me understand target scripts? I am completely lost.
  18. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1

I dont think I've heard of target scripts before (and I googled it too, nothing really came up). Do you mean python scripts (or something specific about writing a python script)? Is it a specific python script your having problems with? Do you have a URL with more details?
  19. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    All I kniow is that I downloaded something for blender and it gave me some images and files called .target. So now I'm completly lost.
  20. Scratcher Jedi Knight

what is the best way for me to convert a .ace file to a .blend file.

I want to convert these models:

Jedi Starfighter ETA-2
    Republic Attack Cruiser EP3 (Venator)
    Republic SPHA-T (Low-Rez)
    Techno Union Starship (Low-rez)
    Cargo craft (2)
    Space Station

or just find away to import this files into blender
  21. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    .ace is a compressed file format - you need something like Power Archiver to de-compress them. :)

Hope that helps!
  22. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think you can convert the Jedi Starfighter ETA-2. Unless there's a plug-in I don't know about
  23. joek1010 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Import/Export Scripts - Including a .3ds importer.

Or

Floatcode's EZ Tutorial On .3DS (And Friends) Importing
    **You will need at least a trial version of 3D Studio Max for this**

STEP 1: Get your .Max, .3DS, or any other 3D Studio Max-importable file ready.

STEP 2: Open 3D Studio Max and open/import the file you would like to import to Blender.

STEP 3: Highlight the mesh or mesh segment that you want imported to Blender with your scroller in the Perspective Window of 3D Studio Max.

STEP 4: Go to file>export. Name your file but don't save it as a .3DS. Instead, where it says "Save Type As", scroll down to StereoLitho (.STL).

Does the StereoLitho (.STL) file type familliar? That's because it's one of the importable file types on Blender (and no, you don't need Python).
    Go ahead and save the file, i.e. "yourmeshname.stl".

STEP 5: The last (and most obvious) step here is to open Blender. Go to file>import>STL...
    ...and import that file!

There! It's done! It works incredibly well (the texture isn't imported, but you could always just re-add it yourself), and you don't have to use any faulty Python scripts!

DON'T PAY: Don't want to pay for 3D Studio Max? Download a trial version and export as many files as you can within the 30-Day evaluation!

- From www.blenderwars.com, (couldn't link directly to a forum page)
  24. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    So my 3ds plug-in works for max files? Ok, I didn't know that.

Edit: OK I take that back. You can't. I didn't find a plug-in on the ling you gave for .max files
  25. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sadly, there isn't a plug-in out there that can read .max files - you'll have to use the demo for 3DS Max or possibly a tool like Deep Exploration for that. :)

Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.