main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blender:

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by jedi_derek, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_derek

jedi_derek Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    I must say that Blender is a terrible program. Its soooo confusing.

2. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    and this deserves to be a thread because...............

3. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Wow. That was dumb.

~Neszis~

4. jedi_derek

Aug 21, 2002
    if you guys think you are so smart, then why don't you give me some better information on how to use blender.. Especially the part on how to make ships.

5. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    How to make ships?

You haven't done much 3d work have you?

You start with a vertex. Then you add more vertices. Then you extrude.

Or, you could start with a NURBS spline, then create cross-sections, then skin.

But there isn't a "create spaceship" button in any 3d program. You'll always have to start from primitives, whether it's a plane, a cube, a sphere, a vertex, or a curve/spline.

The program doesn't suck. You simply haven't taken the time to learn it.
    -Lokmer

6. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    if you guys think you are so smart...

guys? who said we were guys? :eek:

7. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    ^
    | And sexism hits the boards!

jk

Anyways

Ok that is NOT the way to get us to help you. If you want something answered, dont expect us to infer you want ships. But stating that a 3d program is dumb and THATS ALL is not constructive or very easy to reply to. Sorry. If you want help on ships, then say it! ;)

~Neszis~

8. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    Blender sucks. Thats why so many people have created stunning 3d graphics and animation with it.

You will get nowhere making statements like this, and wont earn any respect from fellow members.

9. jedi_derek

Aug 21, 2002
    I need help on ships please

10. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Hey there! You need help on ships? I'm point you in the right direction then!

Well, first you're going to need the basics of Blender. I know you want to make ships, but trust me, learn this first otherwise you'll go nowhere. Head over to Blenderwars and check out the Learning Path in the tutorials section.

Once you finish all of them, I would head over to Betterspace and check out Beginners' Ship-Building Tutorial (part 1). It's written for Lightwave, but with a little inegnuity, you can adapt them. For instance where it shows it adding vertices, use your newfound knowledge of Blender to add vertices in the same manner.

Once you get through that, or you get stuck, hop over to the Blenderwars (link above) Forums for help!

:)

¤Night

11. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    MMM.... batterspace. :) Good waffles there.

On a serious note though: it's a great tutorial, I did it myself! Good stuff.

12. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    [face_laugh]

¤Night

13. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    OMFG! I love you night! I hadden't come across batterscape yet and i just finished the blenderwars tutorials today in my multimedia class :D .

I just want to say THANK YOU and see good things can come out of bad posts ;)

14. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Bad Posts? There are no bad posts, just misunderstood posts. :)

¤Night

15. javelin

javelin Jedi Youngling

Sep 12, 2002
    Better yet, buy the official Blender manual
    it's worth every cent (if you can still get
    it).

16. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    When looking for performance vs. cost, blender is infinitely better than any other application out there.

In Blender version 12.4, there is a 'Build Ship' button. It's in the 'Structures' menu, which you get to by pressing 'Q'. I'm not sure if it's availible for older versions, but you can try.

:D

17. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Check out Amazon.com and look for the official Blender handbook. I got my used for under $20.00. and was a godsend (instead of spending the $40.00+ for it new). Also, go to Http://www.elysiun.com for some great tutorials and links. Once you get in Blender, figure out how to make vertices, faces and extrude, it gets easy.

18. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Blender is a good program, just that it is free...so obviously I wouldn't expect Lightwave or 3D studio max.

However, with a very little real time, you can start animating using other's models. Pretty good results without having to pay anything...thats powerful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.