main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blizzard is the best developer out there.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Vezner, Apr 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I mean look at this!

How many developers do you know, except for perhaps Valve, that provide support for their games after so many years? I know of none. EA? Nope. Raven? Nope. Lucasarts? Nope. ID? Mmmm...to an extent but definately not as much as Blizzard. Others? Nope. ;) Blizzard is awesome, plain and simple.

*tips hat to Blizzard*

2. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    not id? are you kidding me? they still offer support and help to the Quake 2 modding community from time to time on top of releasing the source code for their older games. you had better throw epic out there because their support for the Unreal community is just as good as blizzard's or id's or valve's.

blizzard is a great developer and has great support there is no doubt of that but saying these other developers don't support as well is nonsense.

3. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I was simply saying that I think Blizzard does a better job than ID. Id does support old games but not with as much frequency as Blizzard does theirs.

4. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    i understand that.

its all relative and subjective though. i like blizzard i think they do a great job.

this is another case of "this is teh bestest!" which is clearly an opinion. i'm sure many people share that opinion.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    To be fair, StarCraft is still the most widely played RTS game on the planet, so it's to be expected that they still patch it.

It's like CS, if alot of people had stopped playing 1.5, they'd have never bought out 1.6.

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I think SOE has them beat. They have updates for EQ almost on a weekly basis. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I view Blizzard to be one of the best gaming companies in the world - however, they are quite small....and don't have the resources to create Starcraft II. A disaster!

8. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Yeah, StarCraft is fun and WarCraft but Diablo II sort-of sucked. Blizzard overall is good as a small company but not against big contenders like EA. What about Ensemble Studios???

9. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    Diablo II sucked? Well, it got repetitive after a while, yes...

But WarCraft sucked? HERESY!

*kills you. Twice*

10. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Blizzard is alright. I own all their games but Diablo II is the only one I still play with any regularity.

I can't say they're the best developer out there. The graphics for even their latest games are mediocre at best. They're always a step behind hackers (especially in Diablo 2) and rarely patch their older games. I'm not saying they should come up with a brand new patch every 90 days but when they say their latest patch is expected to come out in early 03, then they didn't come through. Then they said they'd get it out by May 03. Nothing. It wasn't until October that they finally got the 1.10 patch for Diablo II (which was about a year after they "promised" it would be out).

And the only good thing about their servers are free. They kick me off from time to time, I often experience bad lag, and the chat channels are a joke.

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "I view Blizzard to be one of the best gaming companies in the world - however, they are quite small....and don't have the resources to create Starcraft II."

starcraft is so popular a fullblown sequel is inevitable. just give it more time.

12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    But WarCraft sucked? HERESY!

It was good back on the 486, but by todays standards, Warcraft and Warcraft 2 are comparatively dull, and lack the replayability of timeless RTS games like C&C Red Alert... and Starcraft. :p

13. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    WarCraft III murderizes both of them.

14. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    Warcraft III came too late. Action RTS games hit their climax with Starcraft, and have only gotten more repetitive since.

15. Frank1212

Dec 16, 2001
    Any anticipationg of the upcoming fps Ghost?

16. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    gotten more repetitive since

Err... not taking into account the marvels of Multiplayer Generals, of course, which has got to be the best RTS on the market at the moment.

17. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    One thing Blizzard does better than anyone...rendered cinematics. They have the best movies I've ever seen in any computer game. I mean, the Frozen Throne cinematics look better in spots than Episode II did.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I have the Blizzard cinematics on DVD from WC3, SC, and Diablo II.

19. Frank1212

Dec 16, 2001
    Hmm....if it's possible could you tell me how to extract the cinematics from SC?

20. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    um as far as i know the support for games is not directly the respounsability of the developer. Put the publisher... Blizzard can continue to fund those games so they are allowed to continue offering patches...

And for my dollar, i would have to go with Liquid Entertainment as being the best developer. They are relatively young and underfunded so they cant offer support to their older games like blizzard, but i would take Battle Realms over WC 3 any day. Also from what i have heard from the people at liquid they would love to continue to support all of their games, but because they arent an uber company they lack the time and resources to due so...

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't know how to extract the cinematics, but you should be able to find the Blizzard DVD set at your local game shop, whether it be EB or Gamestop(?).

22. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    google for starcraft cinematics dvd and you get:

google love

the war 3 dvd is pretty damn good. i imagine this dvd is of the same quality.

23. Frank1212

Dec 16, 2001
    I'll consider buying it then.

Starcraft isn't just the best RTS game out there - but its storyline is among the best too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.