main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blockade Motive?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Three_Seepio, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Three_Seepio

Three_Seepio Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Does anyone know WHY Palps ordered the TF blockade/invasion of Naboo? He is the senator from Naboo, correct? Why does he want his own planet wiped out? I know his goal was to create a general instability in the galaxy, to allow him to eventually sieze power, but why this planet?

2. ~ô¿ô~

~ô¿ô~ Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 1999
    My guess is because he knew Amidala so well that he figured he could manipulate her into voting no-confidence. Then, like he said, their "situtation" would create a sympathy vote, and it's be much easier to rise to power.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's it.

4. Three_Seepio

Three_Seepio Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    Now why does he command the TF to "wipe them out" after the no confidence vote happens? Just for the heck of it?

5. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Already bogged down in endless trade route taxation crises, Palpatine decides it is time to make a move to replace Valorum.

He manipulates the Trade Federation into invading his home planet of Naboo and attempt to capture the Queen and force her to sign a treaty which will legitimize the occupation. The purpose being, to highlight a problem: worlds being coerced (or forced) into accepting invasion and Trade Federation occupation ? with Valorum (and the Senate) being powerless to stop any of it.

The Queen escapes, but Naboo was now under oppression and martial law.

Determined, Palpatine sends his apprentice to locate the Queen and bring her back to Naboo to sign the treaty. He wants to generate sympathy in the senate and further make Valorum appear weak.

"Is that legal?" - Nute

The invasion was never legal and even though Palps said he would make it legal, it further shows the senate as powerless to stop illegal invasions.

The Queen escapes Maul?s attempt to capture her and travels safely to Coruscant to voice her problems personally. Not part of Palps's plan, but it turns out to serve his interests anyway. Palpatine convinces her of the senate corruption (as if he isn't behind much of it) and that Valorum should be replaced. Palpatine manipulates Amidala's opinion. Her voice certainly had enough sympathy being Queen of an invaded planet, and ultimately the senate agrees with Amidala to remove Valorum.

Panaka delivers the news, Palpatine has been nominated as a potential successor! The Naboo invasion had now served its purpose, but it may yet continue to help Palpatine's goals.

Padme insists on returning to Naboo to liberate her homeland. While Palpatine pretends to care and tries to convince her to remain on Coruscant (perhaps for assassination), Padme returns anyway.

Not worried, but just in case, Palps sends his apprentice to assist the Federation in stopping Padme from succeeding and to get her to sign the treaty.

1) During events, Palpatine has won the nomination ? he is now Chancellor! ?Wipe them out, all of them?. He no longer needs Padme and would rather erase any conflicts of interest or threats to his new authority.

-or-

2) Palpatine decides the slaughter of everyone, including Amidala will make the senate truly sympathetic to him and assuredly grant him the nomination as the new Supreme Chancellor, out of sympathy and regret. ?Wipe them out, all of them?.

Palpatine becomes Chancellor.

Unfortunately for Palpatine, Maul fails and the Trade Federation Viceroy is arrested. No treaty signed and no more occupation - regardless, Palpatine is now the Chancellor of the Republic. In the end, he was victorious. The main objective was achieved.
    We last see a glimpse of a solemn face of Palpatine at Qui-Gon's funeral, undoubtedly pondering his next move and encouraged over young Anakin's heroics. One to watch.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, they've answered your question nicely.

However, I thought htis was about the Trade Federation's motive for obeying Sidious and initiating the blockade. Because insofar as I can tell, there isn't one.

7. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I always thought that Sidious/Palptine probably promised the TF more power or money. After watching how he promised Anakin the power to save Padme, start me thinkng he probably did the same thing to the TF.

8. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    However, I thought htis was about the Trade Federation's motive for obeying Sidious and initiating the blockade. Because insofar as I can tell, there isn't one.

I assumed it was immunity from any legal action. They get to take control of a planet in exchange for protection.

"I will make it legal." - Sidious

"We should not have made this bargain." - Rune Haako

9. Believe

Believe Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    Basically, what you're saying is the worse it gets, better for Palpatine? If the Queen was unable to escape, or if she was captured by Darth Maul and forced to sign the treaty, then what? Who would propose the vote of no-confidence? Palpatine himself?

10. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    I would think so, yes. A grief-stricken, reluctant Senator reluctantly motions no-confidence in his friend. What else can he do? His queen, the holder of the office from which his own political power flows (remember: Naboo senators are appointed by the sovereign, not elected), has been captured. She's young, photographs well, and probably a bit of a media darling. She's virtually the youngest monarch in Naboo history, and certainly one of the youngest planetary leaders in the galaxy. Her capture, had it gone through, would've put a memorable face on the plight of outer- and mid-rim worlds in "Valorum's Republic". It would have definitely given Palpatine more than enough to work with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.