main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blocking blaster bolts is impossible.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darth-skycrawler, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-skycrawler

darth-skycrawler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2001
    In rebirth Anakin seems to be able to block blaster bolts without using the force. Is it just me or does anyone else think that is impossible. The only reson the jedi can block blaster bolts is becasue they see the future and can move in time to block the bolt.

Now without the force they are just normal people and would have no chance of being fast enough to block a blaster bolt. A lightsabre without the force is a useless weapon. Do you think that anybody in the world today could block a bullet with a sword.

2. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    As a practitioner of Kenjustu, I'm going to tell you this right now; lightsabers could never be useless. I usually use a bamboo Shinai as a substitute for an actual Diato or Katana, but lightsabers far surpass any of our modern swords and a good many of our present-day firearms. And although I don't know anyone who could block a bullet, I'll say that I'm not totally sure it's impossible to see where the gun is pointed and act on it for the best fencers. And also... where did you actually see that it said he did not use the force? I don't remember that.

3. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    whatsa diato and katana?

4. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    Diato = A straight sword, usually forty inchies or more, with a single-edged blade.

(When I say single-edged blade, I just mean that it's like a steak knife - it only cuts on way.)

Katana = The traditional sword of Japanese nobles, a slightly curved, forty-five inch or longer single-edged blade. Used in the thousands by medieval samurai.

Kenjutsu = The art of the blade, in Japanese tradition. A fencing method that is somewhat impractical (I admit it) in that it only allows cuts to the head, neck, leg, or forearm and stabbing may only be done from the back, as dictated by the samurai's code of honor.

Samurai = The feudal Japanese "Knight", who worked as a mercenary, but had his own code of integrity to which he must adhire. He might attach himself to a lord and serve as retainer to that lord for his entire life. Samurai were masters of many weapons of the martial arts, but used swords most often in the fighting art of Kenjutsu.

Shinai = A kenjutsu practice blade made up of several bamboo shafts banded together.

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I thought the Katana was a fleet of warships... ;)

6. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    but wouldn't making a double bladed sword be simple? take a hilt, put a gaurd on the edges of the hilt, add blades to the sides, and viola, a double bladed sword. Then again,an average slice will kill you with the other end.

7. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I would think that using a lightsaber without the force is posible by sw standards. Leia did ii in Splinter of the Minds Eye. I you haven't read it then you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Jacen killed a few Vong worriers with his lightsaber in BP without the Force.

9. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    "I thought the Katana was a fleet of warships..."

No one likes a smart arse, but the Katana was officially just the name of the flagship.

10. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Katana's are my fav swords.

And I thought Anakin was using the force in Rebirth??

11. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yes, he probably was.

Its the same way Jacen was able to knock away a few thud bugs and stuff in BP. And Anakin doing the same in Conquest.

The Force quickens the reflexes as WELL as lets a Jedi see the path of things. So, Jacen couldn't see the path of the thudbug, but he had superhuman reflexes to be able to swing his blade around to the right spot.

And Anakin can "sense" Vong now.

I don't see the problem.

12. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Haven't you guys seen Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? They didn't have the Force. And yes, I know blocking little needles with a sword is most likely impossible, but with enought training, normal ppl in SW could probably come close to a Jedi's skill with the lightsaber.

13. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon also deals with mystical magical and un-natural superhuman weapons and powers.

Maybe someone could block blasters bolts and what have you without the Force. But it would take a lot of training and patience. One in a trillion persons could maybe do it.

And before anyone says Kir Kanos could do it, it is now offical that all of Palpatine's Royal Guardsmen had minute Force powers. Enought to give them that extra fighting edge. But not enought to make them powerful enought to take out Palpatine himself.

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yet, those same royal guardsmen could have more power, and train on it secretly to enhance it if they got the time.

15. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yes, of course. Most of them probably didn't even know about their own Force powers. Like Kanos.

Canor Jax though was fairly strong and was trained by a Sith. Palpatine shouldn't of kept him around as we all know what happens.

16. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Cool, I didn't know about the royal gaurd thing. Where did you find it?

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Shinai = A kenjutsu practice blade made up of several bamboo shafts banded together.

Aren't shinai's heavier than the actual sword? Most practice ones are made of nerf (now behave) material nowadays. I think it makes for a weaker arm.

I think it would be easy to deflect laser bolt with a saber. They aren't exactly stealthy, are they?

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Tiershon...
    "Shinai = A kenjutsu practice blade made up of several bamboo shafts banded together.
    Aren't shinai's heavier than the actual sword?
    "

Don't confuse a shinai with a boken. Shinai's were always extremely light. Bamboo is a light, but strong material. Because it's several pieces banded together, they also have "hollow cores." Shinai's were never heavy, even the highest quality ones. Shinai's "sting," they are flexible and crack a person like a whip or rolled-up towel.

Now, on the contrary, are those other practice swords, the boken. They're solid wood swords. They're pretty heavy and can crack your skull open if you get knocked upside the head with one.

19. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "And before anyone says Kir Kanos could do it, it is now offical that all of Palpatine's Royal Guardsmen had minute Force powers. Enought to give them that extra fighting edge. But not enought to make them powerful enought to take out Palpatine himself. "

Not all of them.Just a select few.Those who were Force sensitive were sent to Yinchorr for training.

Yes ,Kanos was Force sensitive since he trained on Yinchorr..but eh.It was a dumb retro fix.They always meant for him to be a normal person ,IMO.

20. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    Very nice, Ghengis. Are you a kenteka? Anyway, just to tell you, at my school, we use only shinai for our practices and sparring - in demonstration we use real swords under coreographed circumstances and wear leather over our armor for safety. We don't use bokken, because a good smack in the head with one could fracture your skull, even if you wear armor. Now, you could use shinai without protective armor, but yee-owch! Getting hit in the head with a bamboo rod does hurt, you know!

I wish we used lightsabers - after all, you can adjust the power settings for safety and the blade is virtually weightless. One all-purpose blade, armor unesscessary.

21. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "I thought the Katana was a fleet of warships..."

No one likes a smart arse, but the Katana was officially just the name of the flagship.

Yes, but the fleet was named after its flagship. Officially. :p

22. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Well, maybe it was after it had been lost.

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    ShinagamiWing...
    "Very nice, Ghengis. Are you a kenteka?"

I had some exposure nine years ago. A fellow university next door to mine had a Kendo instructor. I stuck with it for two semesters. Enough to get a good introduction to it. I most likely would have stuck with it, except the master did it in his spare time and liked early morning class - it was a 6:30 class. Just couldn't hold out as a college freshman. I still ahve my shinai and my pants came in handy for my Darth Maul costume last year. I sparred enough to be able to agree that...

"[i}Now, you could use shinai without protective armor, but yee-owch! Getting hit in the head with a bamboo rod does hurt, you know![/i]"

Oh yes - and will leave a freaking mark for days!!

I'm most impressed you use swords. A good display of skill is most impressive indeed. We were allowed to, but only at the highest level. There was one other person besides the master in the classes to do so. If I could find a decent school around where I live I might think about getting back into it. Good fun I have to admit.

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "I wish we used lightsabers - after all, you can adjust the power settings for safety and the blade is virtually weightless"

Actually that depends on the lightsaber and the jedi. On if He/she built that feature into the saber.

25. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    Best of luck to you - "Our way is a hard one, but it is ours."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.