main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blocking Sith Lightning - Hands or Saber?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Which is easier? Yoda likes to block it with his hands. Kenobi and Mace like to block it with a saber. For me, I think it would be easier to concentrate and block it with both hands like Yoda does against Sidious. But Kenobi seems to have an easy time of it with Dooku using his lightsaber. Perhaps it's not so easy with a more powerful user, cause Mace is seriously stressing when he's collecting Sidious' lightning. I'm torn on this one.

2. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    A lightsaber would, I think, defiantly be eiser. It wouldn't burn your hand, and you wouldn't need any practice absorbing it with a saber

3. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I'd think you'd have to be a pretty powerful jedi (like Yoda) to be able to block it with the hands. The saber is probably the preferred.....and safest method..lol.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    A lightsaber for sure. If blocking with your hands easy Mace and Luke would have done so.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Using the saber would be easier.

6. Sith_UK

Sith_UK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    saber easier, but the hand is cooler!

7. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    How did Yoda know how to block this corruption of energy?

Did he sneak peeks at the forbidden knowledge? [face_thinking]

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Forbidden knowledge isn't forbidden to high level masters like Yoda. Blocking lightning by hand seems to be an advanced skill that only handful of Jedi of that era would know.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Is this a trick question?
    How can it NOT be easier to block Lightning with a saber?

10. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    I think it depends on the power of the one generating the lightning, & the power of the one deflecting it.
    Note that yoda shows more strain when deflecting Sids lightning that Dooku's.

I think Yoda is much stronger in the Force than Mace or OB1 so he can use his hands easier.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yoda may have been instructed at some point by a Master old enough to have actually battled Sith and encountered Sith lightning.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It would be easier with a Lightsaber, but blocking the lighting is still difficult. Especially if one is as powerful as Palpatine was.

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That is quite possible.

14. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    It looks much easier to block it with the saber. We saw how hard Yoda had to concentrate against Dooku, and he also had a hard time against Sidious.
    While Obi-Wan and Mace hardly had to move a muscle to block the lightning. OK Mace did but that was because Palps was so aggressive.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's even possible that that Master fought Darth Bane at some point and Bane used lightning in the fight... :D

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Anybody check the dates to see if the timing even lines up?

17. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    Is there such a Force power as "Absorb"? I know they are not cannon but some of the video games would have you thinking that it does. Initially I thought that's what Yoda did to Dooku in AOTC. However in ROTS, Yoda looks like he's blocking Sid's lighting with every ounce of strength he has.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Trust me. :rolleyes:

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yes, but it has not been elevated beyond video game status yet. According to Woookieepedia: "Jedi Master Yoda used it to block Force lightning when dueling Darth Tyranus and Darth Sidious. It is possible that Yoda combined Force Deflection with Force Absorb when protecting himself against Force lightning. He was unsuccessful because he was trying to gather the lightning's energy into an orb to fire back at Sidious, but it overloaded and exploded, throwing the combatants apart."

Force Deflection
    Force Absorb

And I had forgotten that Vader (of all people) fired a ball of kinetic energy at Luke on Mimban. What's the diff between Force-Lightning and what Vader did to Luke?[face_thinking]

20. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd assume the electrical aspect of it since the only reasons Vader can't use lightning are his suit and prosthetic hands.

21. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    In the video games that I am familiar with, Force Absorb usually involves one character siphoning health or force energy from another, it has nothing to do with Force Lightning.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You may be thinking of Force Drain. In Jedi Academy, Force Absorb negates the effects of attacks like Lightning and uses the energy to recharge the user's Force power.

23. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    Blocking Force lightning with a lightsaber (which simply involves holding the lightsaber in the path of the lightning) is definitely easier than blocking said lightning with bare hands, which requires intense focus and energy as well as knowledge of the appropriate technique to do so. Windu visibly struggling with his lightsaber when Sidious was firing his lightning was different because Windu wasn't just absorbing the lightning into his lightsaber (as Kenobi did to Tyranus' lightning on Geonosis); he was also using Vaapad to reflect the lightning back at Sidious, which resulted in Sidious' face 'melting'.

Yoda may have been one of the only Jedi at that time to be able to absorb or reflect Force lightning, because as the EU indicates, Yoda only picked up that technique when he dabbled with the Dark Side in his 'youth', before he became firmly grounded in the Light Side and before joining the Council (let alone becoming Grand Master).

24. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Maybe Yoda's earlier darkside teetering led to his teetering on the darkside in the pt?

25. Jedi_of_Valor

Jedi_of_Valor Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2007
    I think this is fairly simple. With a saber all you have to do is hold it back. With your hands you need to push it back with the force. Anyone can hold a lightsaber and deflect force lightening. While Yoda did it with almost no effort against Dooku, He (Dooku) is a pushover compared to Sidious. Sidious's lightening would have been much much more powerful than Dooku's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.