main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Blogging the March

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SithatHeart, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Hi All -

I don't have my own blog, I don't know how often I'll be able to get to a computer while I'm in Pasadena, and I really don't have a clue how to write for this type of audience, but I thought I'd give it a try for those who are interested in this experience. I'll try and post here as well as on the 501st page. Please bear with me. Here we go:

So it's 1 am the day before leaving. I'm finally packed and, despite being really excited, am getting really tired. My fingers are covered in CA glue from last-minute repairs; if they try to print me at the airport, they're in for a surprise. I'm hoping my do-it-yourself fixes hold -- I installed a new cod-piece, additional straps to hold my stomach & back plates together, replaced some straps showing wear and installed a hard-hat liner into my helmet. I was hoping to label all my parts on the inside as well (I can just imagine what the lost and found department at the hotel will look like after hosting 200 troopers) but I guess I'll have to do that once I arrive.

Shane and I were interviewed separately by a fellow from the CBC today -- they're going to try to splice us together into one conversation. I hope I didn't sound like a total idiot (I guess I'll settle for sounding like a partial one). I really felt like I didn't make any sense and that I kept repeating the same words over and over again. I'm going to try to make a call one day during the lunch break and do a live, on-air interview (a chance to redeem myself). If that doesn't work, they're going to use the canned stuff we did today. If you're around a radio on Friday afternoon, it should be on then.

People keep asking me how it was that I was chosen. And I have to say that I really don't know. I haven't been a 501 member very long and there are so many others who have put in exponentially greater amounts of time and hard work in to the costumes, the volunteer work and helping out other members. There are much better costumes out there and far more co-ordinated people (I will be the trooper looking at his hands every time someone shouts out "left!). I suspect that Lucas Arts just threw all the names in a big pot and drew randomly, but I'm not going to complain. I feel very, VERY lucky.

Even though I'm packed and scheduled to go, it doesn't seem real yet. This trip still feels like ages away or just something you read about, but aren't really sure exists (like capital gains exemptions). My biggest fear right now is that I'll do something to screw everything up, like pass-out from the heat, or bump in to the trooper in front of me, or fail to make it to a porta-john in time and end up being "that trooper" on You-Tube.

I should get to bed. I will do my best to find a computer to blog from tomorrow, or failing that, keep a journal and type my entry in later (who am I kidding, I will ask my assistant at work to do that).

Hugs to everyone,
    Michelle / Sith@Heart / TK-5059 / "That Trooper" on You-Tube

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Fantastic idea Michelle! I'll be checking every day (if not a few times a day) for more updates!!

3. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Great idea for a blog. Good luck and have fun!.
    Ryan

4. iRob

iRob Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    You will be fine M. Happy thoughts and crossed fingers.

Also - Have some fun!

5. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    You'll do so great, M! We're all cheering for you!

6. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    Best wishes Michelle!

7. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Hey --

I've got only 10 minutes to get this down, but I wanted to check in with you all.

We were really late taking off -- 2 hours late. We sat on the tarmac a really long time for de-icing. The screaming children behind me were killer. The flight was pretty bumpy -- I had to ask a few people before I found an air sickness bag, just in case, but thankfully, I didn't have to use it.

We were picked up by a crew holding Lucas Arts signs and waited around for the Belgian and English troops to arrive. They seem like a pretty good crew, even as exhausted as they were after their 11 hour flight.

We got to the hotel just before the introductory dinner. I wasn't there an hour before I had received a pile of trading cards from other troops. I've met so many people that I'll never be able to remember all their names!

We had a decent meal and were treated to many speaches... and they seemed to get longer and longer. And then we found out why. We were waiting for a special guest to arrive.

GEORGE LUCAS!!!

He came into a room full of cheering troops. I got up on a chair and tried to snap as many pictures as I could. I think it was too dark to get much - but the man himself was there!!!!

I'm stoked, I've had a beer and now I'm heading to bed.

Cheers to all - more posts later!

8. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Awesome!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more!!

9. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Oh!! That's SO EXCITING!!! George is there!!! Hopefully you'll get a chance to meet and/or chat with him at some point o_O [face_praying]

10. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Sorry last night was so brief -- they were kicking us out of the business centre as they needed to close. I have a couple minutes before the bus leaves, so I will try to flesh things out a bit more now.

The UK Garrison had very nifty shirts; they listed the name of all of their marchers on the back. A few of the Garrisons had their own parade shirts made. I thought it would be cool if we had made our own, but for some reason it seems silly to make a t-shirt for 2 people. The German Garrision had matching army cases with their TK numbers, their flag and "Rose Parade Deployment" printed on them. Very awesome.

So what did George look like? Exactly like all the photos! His hair really does that "wave" and it's very salt and pepper. The only thing that was different is that he was NOT wearing plaid!

And what did he tell us? He was, understandably, nervous. Who wouldn't be in a room full of 250 raving star wars fans? Every camera in the room was on him. He walked up to the mike and told us that he fully expected us to fail to survive the ordeal, but that those troops that would follow would march to glory carrying a piece of us with them! He also hinted that there would be photos with George on Sunday. That sounds awesome!!!!

Today, we are going to be shuttled to a stadium to learn how to march. Mary Franklin (one of the key organizers of this shebang) in her speech last night explained that she fully expects today to be one big cluster **** Organizing 250 marchers cannot be an easy feat. She has asked us to be prepared and patient. I think I'm ready to go. They've asked us to have our helmets with us so they can take photos of us in jeans and buckets. We'll look pretty goofy :) I suspect the real reason is so that we can learn to position ourselves without using our peripheral vision.

One interesting thing I've noticed is the lack of estrogen around here. I think I've seen about 15 other chicks (although there are rumours of about 50 being here) and of the ones I've met, only 2 of them are TKs. I've also met a couple scout girls, but most are officers. It makes me a little sad -- I thought there would be more of us.

I don't know how many people are aware of this, but we were all slated to share rooms. 4 to a room with 2 beds. Yikes! I'm not very good at sharing (and I'm a very light sleeper), so I bit the bullet and paid for my own room. I was regretting my decision last night as people were bonding with their new roommates, but this morning, I was pretty happy about things. A lot of people were discovering that roommates snored or squirmed or didn't like to go to bed until 4 am. Most are pretty tired, but I'm feeling refreshed!

I've got to go get on that bus -- more later!

Cheers,
    TK-5059

11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    So freakin' COOL!!!

Thanks for sharing so much Michelle - it's like we're right there with you (even though we're NOT :_| ).

I love that George is so down to earth, and so human. So many moguls are so out of touch with their fans and with reality. He's just so AWESOME!!!

12. iRob

iRob Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    <jealousy>This is so incredibly awesome. Keep posting! I'm drooling all over this post.</jealousy>

Be safe and have fun!

13. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    sounds so awesome :)

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I've just been informed by a co-worker that the CBC just aired a conversation with Shane regarding the parade and such. Michelle was mentioned as well, but I'm not sure if they talked to her or not. I missed it because I was out of the office for a bit.

Anyone else catch this?? Anyone record it??

15. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Your "blog" is making some excellent reading, Michelle! I get goosebumps just thinking aobut how AWESOME of a time your are and are going to, have!!

I looks forward to reading more, and seeing pics from the event (yours and "official"). I especially can't wait to see a video of the final parade.

16. Domino_Leia

Domino_Leia Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2005
    Wow Michelle, this is really great reading. What an amazing experince to have! We will all be watching on Monday and totally hating your guts for being there. ha ha Good luck for the big day and have fun!! :)

17. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Hey Everyone --

You're making me nervous -- I didn't realize so many people would be reading this thread.

One of the things I haven't really talked about yet is the media here. Video cameras are EVERYWHERE. You can't do anything without getting it caught on film. Lucas (and a couple media outlets) are doing a documentary of our experiences, so they are constantly interviewing people and shooting action shots. Yesterday at breakfast, they stuffed a 3-foot camera in my face, put a huge boom mike above my head and then had the nerve to tell me to "act natural"! The crews are really nice, but it's unnerving to have everything recorded.

Last night I hug out with the UK boys again. They gave me a pile of flakes (UK chocolate bars), trading cards and even a UK patch. The film crew came by and took us to a steakhouse in Universal City, fed us some shots (filming the whole time) and then convinced some of the boys to get on the mechanical bull. Thank God none of them were hurt.

I haven't seen much of Shane since I got down here. They separated the scouts out early, so he's been marching in a different squad. Since I didn't know anyone else, I've been actively meeting people and everyone has been great. I've met a really exhausted fellow from the Phillipines (it was 4 am for him while we were eating lunch); a couple from Japan (the guy has been having a tough go of it as he doesn't speak english); a very odd Italian fellow -- the Italians came dressed in cowboy gear; a fellow from Thailand who went to Trent University for a couple years; and the list goes on and on... Most people have patches or stickers or pins to give out. The Aussies were handing out kangaroo keychains. I feel badly as I don't have any goodies to gift. I'm down to one or two patches. If I ever do anything like this again I will need to remember to bring a tonne of presents down with me.

Our first day of marching: they loaded us on to 5 buses yesterday and drove us to the hugest high school I have ever seen. It was a bit like hearding cats, but they finally separated us out into groups (and by size) and training began. It was tough to hear the commands over the practicing marching band -- they are amazing btw -- so they took us to another corner of the grounds. We learned to fall in, line-up properly and make left and right turns. We're now working on keeping in perfect formation while marching. It's a lot harder than it looks as everyone's stride is slightly different. Once we learned the basics, they had us put on our buckets and try it with no peripheral vision. Wow -- not easy. We need lots and lots of practice!

One of the coolest things I saw yesterday:
    They had all of us bring our helmets to the practice grounds but during the first part of the day they had us practice without them. We left all of our helmets on the field, lined up row on row. 250 helmets in perfect formation -- it was unbelievable, and slightly unsetting -- they looked like tombstones. I took a bunch of photos and when I get back, I'll convince Andrew to post them for me.

I should go -- 15 minutes of internet time costs me $5 US.

Cheers everyone,
    M.

18. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    You're experience just keeps getting better and better <so jealous!>!!!

19. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Were there any ewoks to use the buckets as drums?

20. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    :D:D:D The stories just keep getting better and better!!!!!

You are ONE LUCKY fangirl!!!

21. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Hi All --

Yesterday was tough. Really tough. The sun was beating down on us, we were sweating up a storm and trying to learn how to do a proper wheel. Over and over and over again! The video cameras were out and they had us race across the football field to line up in formation three or four times in a row just to turn around and start marching back. Sprinting 80 yards and then putting on a bucket causes lenses to fog up really quickly! Our platoon (platoon 2) seems to be doing quite well, but the first platoon could use a bit more work. I believe they're having an impromtu practice session in 10 minutes to go through things again.

You should all be really proud of me: out of the 80 stormtroopers in our Company, my squad of 8 was selected as the best squad yesterday. We were cheered by our entire company and our drill instructor bought us beers after marching. We've started calling ourselves the beer squad. One of our squad members is going to make up t-shirts for us! We have been working pretty hard, so it's good to be recognized for it. Jordie -- thanks for teaching me the basics, it's serving me well -- when I get back, I'm going to pass that beer on to you.

This is really, REALLY tentative (our line-ups seem to change quite frequently) but right now, the beer squad of 8 is camera-side. That is, when you see the first company of stormtroopers walk past the cameras, we should be those closest to them. We're such glory hogs ;) We should be the first group of stormtroopers behind Vader. I will let people know when I have a better idea of what's happening.

I apologize if this post is not quite as snappy as the others. I stayed out about two beers and one tequila shot too late last night. Most of the international people were out after dinner last night and were sharing treats they'd brought with them. The folks from the Phillipines were handing out some strange sort of cracker that would expand in your mouth and one of the Kiwis had a bizzarre pineapple toffee -- I think I'm still picking it out of my teeth. We were hanging out, joking, swapping patches and buying each other beers. I pulled out my temporary tattoos and we were having fun applying them to each other's arms and even on one poor fellow's shaved head! At one point, one of the guys from Singapore grabbed Mary Franklin and I ended up applying one to her arm too (she has the most amazing arms I've ever seen -- she could break me in half). I think of the 70+ tattoos I've brought down, I've only got 5 left!

I feel very, very privileged to be here. I have met more and more people each day; all of them are excited to be here and have been working hard to make this look good. I am so happy to have been a part of this as it's unlike anything that's been done before. Our group is really bonding with each other and I'm sure that I will come back with more friends than I can count. I wish everyone had this great opportunity; I think about the Badlands folks and the Calgary FF a lot while I'm here.

I know our group caught a bit of flak for the Badlands Drinking Team shirts, but I've received nothing but compliments on it. I've even had people taking photos of the back of my shirt to try and make their own. Shane was wearing his shirt yesterday too. Apparently, Steve Sansweet walked up to Shane and requested one for his collection!

Last night we were told that tomorrow, after the dress rehersal, George himself will be doing a final review of the troops and then we'll do a group photo. I can't wait!

Cheers!
    M.

22. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Thats awesome Michelle. Sounds like your having a blast.

23. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah Michelle!

24. SithatHeart

May 25, 2005
    Hi Everyone --

Saturday was tougher than every day before. We were practicing marching with the band on the astroturf and with all 3 squads together and the music playing, it was really tough to hear the commands. I almost smacked into the guy in front of me on several occasions when I couldn't hear the "Halt". We were a bit (okay, a lot) of a gaggle at first, but by the end of the day, we were doing well.

This has not been easy. The drill captains have their hands full trying to teach 200+ people to march as a whole unit. It's tough on our bodies too. I've seen swollen ankles and knees - and everyone seems to have shin-splints, sore backs, etc. We go out and have a lot of fun in the evenings, but this has not been a cake-walk. We're all working really hard during the day, without complaint, and we're really earning the beers we have in the evening.

I was so exhausted by the end of the day that I went to bed at 10:30 last night. No partying for me. Poor Andrew -- he came in last night and I had dinner with him and then went to bed! He's still in bed while I'm already done breakfast and about to gear-up to head out.

We have a dress rehersal today. Everyone must be in full gear and make-up. There are armoured troopers everywhere! Getting us all on the buses should be interesting. Most of us can't sit, so we'll be packed in there like plastic sardines.

The beer squad has been doing very well. So well in fact, that our squad leader, who has been nick-named "Wears White Plastic" has been selected for a very prestigious job. He has the pleasure of escorting George Lucas around the practice facilities today, acting as his bodyguard. Wears White Plastic, whose real name is Louis, tried to have our whole squad included, but no success there :( Oh well, it's nice to be recognized for working so hard.

We've got now what should be our final line-ups. I am in the line of troops closest to the camera. We will be the first troops you see behind vader. I am the 7th trooper from the front -- look for me!

We received a great order from our drill captain last night. We have been instructed to march over and through anyone who gets in front of us. A lot of people will be running in front of us to take photos, but we have been told that nothing is to stop us marching. I can't wait to smoke my first photographer!

Yesterday they taught us what to do if we need to drop out of the parade. Once we are out, a van will pick us up and we will be out of the parade. Permanently. There is no going back once you drop out. I'm getting even more scared and nervous than before. I do NOT want that to be me. Please don't let that be me. If you pray, please pray that it will not be me.

I need to get into my gear for the dress rehersal.

I will try to get on-line again today so I'll chat with you all later!
    Cheers,
    M.

25. redeyekho

redeyekho Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    Here is a video on the Rose Parade

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/player/popup-2-0/index.php?cl=1560024

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.