main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Blogs] What is your preferred blogging website?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by jacemathem, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    I've been looking to start writing a blog. But I cannot decide which website to use in order to run the blog. I've looked at both Blogger and WordPress, and seen a few examples of each... But I'm just not so sure which to use. I like the way the blog is run on WoW.com, but I'm not sure how theirs is set up.

Do you have a preferred blogging website? If so, which and why?

[Please do not advertise your blog here. Linked blogs should only be referenced for the discussion's purpose of comparing blog services.]

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    None. I think blogging is the scum of humanity. [face_laugh]

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    A class of mine used Blogger last year for assignments, so I thought that it was pretty good. I also am using Wordpress right now as well for a personal blog, and find that it has some good features.

4. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Wordpress, the self-installed version. Wordpress.com is okay (particularly if you're just starting out or want to get a feel for the system) but nothing beats the real thing for customization.

I used Movable Type for several years, and I'd like to give it another try one of these days. I had some issues with it, but I'm sure they've changed a lot of things since then.

I love Twitter for quick links and things - mini-blogging!

I've never really used Blogger on a regular basis, but when I have I haven't been impressed.

I've used Livejournal for my personal blog for years now, and I like the levels of privacy built into it. Dreamwidth is building on LJ's code, and could certainly exceed it in the future. I wouldn't recommend either for serious blogging, but they're both very well suited for personal use. Though it may honestly depend on how much of your 'net social group/community is there. (For instance, LJ is pretty popular among writers.) But I had more success getting my friends to LJ than I ever did getting them to blog otherwise.

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Livejournal! :D I've been on LJ for years, although I'm more of a lurker/reader than an actual blogger there. It's a great platform as a personal blog, but not so much if you want to make a 'professional' ad-revenue-generating-type blog, IMHO.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm also among those who think that LJ is great for personal blogging, and for finding good communities. In fact I registered and was active with LJ communitites well before I started actually blogging. I'm also running a more public blog there, and I think it's pretty hard to get people to see it, and at least with the free version you can't do much customisation. I just started another blog for a project that I'm working for, and I used blogger. I was much more impressed with what you could do there for free compared to LJ. I haven't tried wordpress though.

7. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    My personal bias leans towards LJ, especially since I've been using it since 2000. (Well, I've only had my current ElJay since 2002 with only one username change) It's simple and it's good for finding communities too.

As far as general blogging goes, I'd say I prefer Blogger, but I'm going to give WordPress a fair shot, especially since I just registered a brand new domain name and I may use WP for an art blog or something, I dunno.

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'd probably have to go with WordPress for ease of use and customization.

9. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    I use blogger because my parents told to. But I don't mind.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    That's a good reason to use it.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Just a random question, but is anybody aware of a blogging site that allows you to upload swf files?

For a project at college we're required to write weekly updates on a group website that we're creating. These updates are to be written on a blog. My group is using Wordpress and the photo or video upload options didn't allow swf uploads. I'm just curious now, is all.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Can you upload the files elsewhere and link to them from the blog, or do they have to be on the blog site?

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I could, yes, but the project isn't serious enough for me to bother with that. :p

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    That's probably a security feature to keep people from uploading files that contain malicious code to your blog. I'd just get someone to host the flash files for you and link to them.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Blogs are one of the best sources of inspiration for digital artists.

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Hmm, good point. Hadn't thought that through before, thanks!