Beyond Blood and Glory - Dooku, Qui-Gon, Anakin, Luke - vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Title: Blood and Glory
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Dooku, Qui-Gon, Anakin, Luke
    Summary: Warriors? thoughts on war.
    Notes: Posted in Beyond since that is where it ends.

Blood and Glory

"War alone brings up to its highest tension all human energy and puts the stamp of nobility upon the peoples who have the courage to face it.? - Benito Mussolini

War was coming.

Dooku acknowledged the fact without apprehension, even welcomed it. War was sometimes a necessary tool of statecraft, a way of weeding out the weak and unworthy, culling only the best and most promising. It seemed to him that the Republic, which had been built with such hope around unattainable and impractical ideals, was now folding in around that uncertain core. Only a fool would refuse to see it coming, he mused.

The galaxy needed to be purged of the flaws that currently crippled it, and war would be a start. It would be the cleansing fire that forged a weapon. He was tired of the endless talk that solved nothing of substance. The Jedi Order was as feeble as the Senate, lost among their idyllic and high-minded principles, ignoring the very real troubles in the galaxy around them. He was barely one of them anymore, hanging on by a mere thread of old loyalties that were worn and tattered. The Jedi were blind and deaf, and he sensed that their ignorance would cost them dearly and soon.

Idly, he wondered from what direction their destruction would come. Somehow he sensed it would be destroyed from the inside, and they would be betrayed by their own.

Dooku laughed at the thought, and prayed he would live to see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

?As peace is all of goodness, so war is an emblem, a hieroglyphic, of all misery.? ? John Donne

Qui-Gon sighed, releasing his fears and uncertainty to the Force. The invasion of Naboo by the Trade Federation and the vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum?these felt linked to him in some inexplicable way. But as hard as he tried, he could find no logical connection. At last, he surrendered the feeling to the Force, knowing that all he could do now was to keep his mind and heart open to both the Living and Unifying Force. He must be quick to follow the prompting of the Force, let it guide him wherever it would.

His inability to sense what was coming was frustrating him, but in the end he had to trust that wisdom lay not within himself, but with the Force. They would soon arrive back on Naboo; returned there by the Queen?s request. The mission troubled him, made him uneasy in ways he did not understand. There was something in the Force that called out a warning to him and Qui-Gon strained to hear, but it slipped through his grasp, leaving him holding onto shadows and doubts.

That would not do, he told himself firmly. If war came, he must be strong and ready to face it. And he must prepare Obi-Wan for whatever the future held, even if he would not be there to guide him.

Qui-Gon stopped, wondered where that notion had come from. The Force remained stubbornly silent.

~~~~~~~~~

?How different the new order would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician.? ? Henry Miller

War.

Even if he could only admit it to himself, Anakin confessed that in the beginning at least, war had sounded like such a glorious undertaking. He imagined himself swooping in to save the countless multitudes from the evil represented by the Separatists? Army. Their gratitude would be immediate and fulsome, and he would graciously accept their accolades as his due. A hero is not much without the adoration of those he has saved.

The reality of war, however, had proven to be cold, muddy, sweltering, and?very bloody. Those he defended were not always grateful, in fact they sometimes spit out their hatred for the Republic and made him their target. Their disdain had been both unexpected and disheartening. Even after risking his life, they remained defiant and filled with hate.

He was tired of sending men to t
  2. JadeSolo Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Here I thought you had gone senile as well, with that kind of title. :p

A hero is not much without the adoration of those he has saved.

My favorite line in the whole piece. =D= I also liked how things seemed to come full circle - Dooku and Luke both going forth into war, even if for different reasons. Like big cycles of destruction and rebirth.
  3. _ThatJediScum_ Force Ghost

star 3
    OMG! Awesome. I'm almost speechless. The Quotes to begin each segment are just brilliant. I honestly think this is your best peice to date. ::Sigh:: So awesome.

bran
  4. strwbrystarshine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Brilliant as usual.

Luke's and Anakin's segments were particularly poignant. Great job on this![face_dancing]
  5. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
    Great , very well written , liked the quotes
  6. Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master

star 4
    Very nice work. I like the different perspectives each has, and the common theme running through each section. Impressive... :D Well done!
  7. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Love it! I love seeing the different POVS, Dooku's especially being so different! Never read anything about Dooku until now!

And,

I am a soldier, he thought. Even if I don?t want to be, that?s what I am.

:_| :_|

My Luke! I want him to grow old in peace, too!

Great set of vigs, lady! =D=
  8. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    WOW - that was brilliantly insightful.

I just wanted to give Luke a big hug - such a burden on his shoulders.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That was great. I loved that each of the characters were looking at war in different ways.

Wonderful job.
  10. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    JadeSolo Sometimes I'm into chaos and destruction. And don't rule out senility either! ;)

_ThatJediScum_ Wow. Thanks! [face_blush]

strwbrystarshine Thanks, it's a bit of a departure for me.

morrison85 I had fun finding quotes, and it was amazing how different were the views on war. [face_thinking]

Knight_Aragorn Thank you! [:D]

ginchy Dooku is a really interesting character. A bit scary even. :p

KELIA I'll comfort him. Don't worry! ;)

dianethx The quotes were the inspiration. I was looking up quotes to use for another story and I came across all of these.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.