main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Bloodline by Claudia Gray (book spoilers permitted)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Maybe we should put the time (6 years before TFA!) in the title?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    OK fine :p

Ghost likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, this just went from being a 'must-buy' to, er...... 'gimme now!' status?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I think this more or less confirms that the NR is around during the ST

5. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    On the contrary, I think this book might explain why there is a Resistance but no word of a New Republic.

I think it goes bye bye and the New Republic books will explain how.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm not so certain about that Matt. It is a possibility for sure, but it seems needlessly complicated. I was just discussing this with Jello via PM, but the idea that the NR is demilitarized (thinking the galaxy is totally at peace) and the Resistance being a safeguard (which Mon Mothma alluded to in Aftermath) to watch out for a return of the Empire is a likely possibility as well. It allows for the Rebels to have "won", but also sets up a Sequel Trilogy where the stakes are high, as the next generation has to now preserve the peace their parents fought for.

--Adm. Nick

7. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

I dunno, the intro and outro of Moving Target make me pretty confident that the Resistance and the New Republic are contemporary with eachother.

8. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Wow, this is exactly what I was asking for. I loved Lost Stars, but I didn't want a sequel right away. This looks like it will be its own story.

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

Eh. No more complicated than its fall in Legends.

For me personally, I would not like the idea of some independent military group gallivanting around the galaxy keeping the galaxy safe. Either the NR is demilitarized or not. Let's not have an Alpha Blue equivalent in this continuity. It's an un-democratic idea.

That's unfortunate. The more I learn about the Resistance, the more it sounds like failed real life foreign policies of the last 30 years that I vehemently disagree with. :p

I am thinking that I will not enjoy this New Republic.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If the NR falls in 28 ABY, the exact year it is replaced in Legends, I will laugh without end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATimson, cdgodin, Riv_Shiel and 5 others like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...huh, that's actually really interesting, since if TFA is indeed 30 years later that would be the year this is set.

Probably just a coincidence, since I'm also inclined to think that it'll still be around during the ST, if possibly offscreen.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm already perfectly happy for the NR to be called the GA and vice-versa so I'm content either way. I could even argue that the GA is the Empire with how it acts!

13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Did I miss something about Claudia Gray starting a series? Yes please, I hope so!
    ALSO, do we have an actual timeline as to how long after Endor TFA falls? I've heard 30 years and 35 years

14. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Claudia seems to be the most promising author of the NEU and I look forward to seeing more of her output.

That said, I do wish that they would pick titles that didn't already exist in Legends.

NR: Bloodine vs. LOTF: Bloodlines

AM: Empire's End vs. Empire's End

Really?

ATimson, DarkEagle, spicer and 2 others like this.
  15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I kinda enjoy it. There's an art to taking a familiar title and recontextualizing it.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    30 is everything I have heard.

34 ABY is just as fine as 39 ABY on me.

17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well it makes no difference to me when it happens. That won't affect how I see it. I'm just a crazy person who has to know in his head.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Trias -- re: the NR being undemocratic with a secret military independent of the elected government... heh.

Miss the Empire yet? :

(But yes it's a terrible notion thematically. But it seems likeliest)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

ATimson likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I've been comparing the Resistance to Rogue Squadron in Bacta War and the Insiders founded in the Enemy Lines duology since it was named.

Seems very likely.

CooperTFN, Revanfan1 and DarthSienna like this.
  20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Ugh

Pick the least of two evils dilemma.

Ugh

Sounds like the New Republic will travel down the same path as the old.

Whether the Resistance is a secret military organization supported by the NR or is a bunch of sector locals supplied with weapons and vehicles by the NR...it's a bad idea. It sends a bad idea to kids to later reference in their adult life.

Unless they specifically present the Resistance in a way that stirs up debate so that the efficacy and morality of such actions can be considered.. That would be good. However, I don't have much hope for that.

As always, it seems as if the real winners in Star Wars will be the corporations.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, since it's all going to happen as you lot have foreseen....

Lottery numbers for next week! Right now, come on, haven't got all day....

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    4 7 21 92 48 4 2 1

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Star Wars, the movies or the EU, have never been democratic or advocated for it in any sense. It being a combination of military-SF and epic fantasy means it gets both of those genre's promotion of authoritarianism and contempt for democracy and civilian rule.

24. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

I hate that. Same reason I hated LOTF: Inferno.

Sorry, but Inferno is kinda taken. By something way more important than any Star Wars book.

Do something new, don't rehash unnecessarily.

I find it interesting people are cheering for the NEU to keep reusing old themes from the LEU, but criticized the LEU for becoming stale because they kept using the same themes over and over again. Seems a little self-contradictory to me.

Wasn't the point of the reboot "creative freedom" not "lets do it all over again" ?

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

yes the point was creative freedom but that does not excluded re using Legends.