main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Bloodline by Claudia Gray (book spoilers permitted)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished the book. Really good but I don't think I could rate it as high as Lost Stars. Had a good story to it but the characters weren't quite as fun to read about as Thane and Ciena were. Probably rate Lost Stars, Twighlight Company, and Lords of the Sith ahead of this one (maybe New Dawn as well) Enjoyed seeing the character of Leia though and her political mind around the time of TFA.

Wondering if we will see characters like Greer and Joph Seastriker in the Poe Dameron comic (I assume though with this book taking place about six years before the comic Greer would have likely died from her illness by then).

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I KNEW you'd love that line of Leia's. It's a great way, I would think, of saying "If you only saw that slave getup I was wearing, you were paying attention to the wrong thing."

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Going back a few posts--I don't know that I see Ben as all that anti-NR; I don't know that he really cares. He wants to finish what Vader started, not Palpatine--he just wants to end the Jedi. If he's thought beyond that at all I'd be surprised.

4. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Yeah, long term planning is Snoke's department.

Revanfan1, Vialco and CooperTFN like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I could even marry that to the deep-cover theory and speculate that Ben's true goal is to end all Force users. [face_mischief]

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think so. Snoke isn't Palpatine 2.0. He treats Starkiller Base and Hosnian Prime like afterthoughts.

PCCViking likes this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Besides, he looks more like Voldemort 2.0. :D

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  8. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Just finished reading the book, it was the first one I read after the EU wipe and I enjoyed it very much, especially the later chapters. Can anyone recommend any other books from the new canon? I am thinking of getting Lords of the Sith now (Tarkin is on my radar as well).

To elaborate more on Bloodline, it was truly heartbreaking at times. At start, I wasn't as invested into it but later on it was simply amazing. Things that stood out for me:

Leia's reaction to Ransolm's certain, unfair death. For the first time, she understood her fater, Anakin Skywalker, to some extent at least.

Death of the Populist candidate for the First Senator. That guy was nothing but pure good and I screamed in frustration upon realizing he was about to die... :(

...and possibly some more but those two are the only ones I recall now, I finished the book just moments ago.
    I must say, I feel like the author really nailed down portrayal of Leia's character. Also, while reading the book, you can get the feeling of injustice that is so widespread in both the Star Wars universe and our own.

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Actually, I think we got a hint about who Snoke really is from our friend Pablo. ;)

Pablo just dropped this little bombshell in regards to the Inquisitors abducting Force Sensitives:

Or to examine them, see if they're useful as seers, and if they're not they kill them,

Snoke is the new Cronal. [face_devil]

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapter 29:

I laughed out loud at Leia's party outfit. That sounds like something Carrie Fisher herself would do.

I also laughed, more in an "You have to laugh or you'll cry" why, at the way the Senators behaved at Leia's news.

'You mean I can't...I can't...blame the people I don't like??? It might be someone else?"

Casterfo definitely redeemed himself there.

Ugh, Lady Carise. Go squat and pee on top of a large poison oak patch.

11. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Definitely a good book with awesome characters… and fits well into the new TFA universe, though this remark is not meant to be a praise. My main complaint against TFA was that it is a story in which almost everyone is a big failure, and Bloodline gives a good explanation, shows us the „how and the why”.

When in the beginning we get to see Leia it is clear that she is deeply unbalanced: a woman in late forties, a bit jealous of the young generation’s good looks and attitude, excepts to herself that she is doing nothing of value or meaningful, lives separated from her husband and cannot put her priorities straight about work against family, and most importantly cannot face the reality of her real parents. Her political views (and it is deeply disturbing since she should be a star politician) are at the same level as expressed by her father in AOTC (senate is useless, why there are different opinions at all, we need someone wise to make senators see the greater good, and this “someone wise” shouldn’t be me of course). She calls herself a Populist out of fear (while deep down she wishes to change the Constitution towards more powerful leadership)… She even goes into hysteria when confronts with her fellow Senator’s different opinion about the Empire… etc.

Seriously I would not vote for her. :(

Then we realise that – also out of fear and out of her inability to accept her real father – she committed the gravest mistake of her political carrier: she failed to inform anyone about her real father. Here I had to agree with the Centrists: people have the right to know about this "little fact".

If she had informed the Galaxy about the true identity of Lord Vader right after Endor it wouldn’t have been a serious issue now at all. And it wouldn’t have had such dire consequences back then. when everybody was perfectly aware how hard Leia fought against him. With such a huge and devastating fact a politician should know that 1. it will come to the open sooner or later 2. it better happen when she/he can control the circumstances.

But no, Leia based her political carrier on a half-truth.

And even more terrible that Luke Skywalker, the great Jedi Master did the same: he did not inform his apprentices about the complete truth about Lord Vader either. He lies to them. This way his New Jedi Order fails to overcome the weakness of the Old Order (so how goes the teachings about the attachments now, I wonder?!?!?)

Poor Ben Solo: he has got a liar as a mother and an uncle, and – I guess, because he is not an awesome pilot – he is a disappointment to his father… and that’s his family… So much for role models, I wonder what will happen to this boy?!?!:cool:[face_devil]

Then Leia claims that she wants to follow her real mother’s legacy. Sounds good, but still not true. The whole book proves that she is her father’s daughter fair and square (but I mean it as a praise :D:D ). Dear princess, let me inform you: your real mother would never give up on the Senate and would not start to collect an army before the war has started, she wouldn’t start to collect an army at all, she would try to stick to peaceful negotiation all the time. :vader::leia:

But of course thank the Force that she is her father’s daughter because this way at least she would be moderately prepared for what is it to come in TFA.
    I just hope that – besides taking revenge on Lady Carise – she will also have time to give some evidence in favour of the Casterfo guy, because it sounded as if she gave up on him and his fate (after getting angry).

Most awesome moment: when Han rescues Leia (and close second when he informs everyone that he knew about Vader and it was not a problem at all) =D=

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She doesn't "live separated" from him - it's simply that they spend a lot of time apart. They still share rooms (and Han apparently is prone to not picking his socks up off the floor"

I'm also not sure where you're getting the idea that Leia is "jealous of the young generation's good looks" from.

13. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    From the book ;), there are several remarks about Casterfo (before they got to be friends :p), regarding his clothes, his looks... all the time she thinks that "oh, it is not practical, it is too theatrical etc...although she also chooses her robes to fit her political image), so it is clearly important to Leia, then she shows him the holocube in which she can be seen half naked - and if you accept that she does not want to brag about killing then she wanted to show him how pretty and fit she was twenty years before :p

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    "Poor Ben Solo"? Nah. Dude gets no sympathy from me after reading about Leia sending that message and knowing what he does later on.

15. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Comeuppance is coming... ;)

16. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, that was a slap in the face to everything they fought so hard to build. No way I'm felling any kind of sympathy for his plight.

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Seriously? That's what you got from that?

18. LadyZ

Jun 16, 2000
    Yep.. and yes, I read the book, and I know that it was not the author's explicit intention. Still that was the first thing that springed to my mind. Frankly I do not have problem with it, even if I consider Leia as a character. Indeed I'm a bit convinced that she wanted both (bragging about killing the Hutt and show herself :p)
    I had more problem with the explicit discrimination of the Hutt race in the whole book, even by those who are supposed to be the open minded heros doing everything for the greater good of the Galaxy (save the Hutts in general).
    My opinion, my reading.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks like ageist sexist trolling, probably best not to feed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicorn, Vthuil, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    A troll who's obviously prepared to do violence to the English language too, it seems.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That addition is both unnecessary and inappropriate.

22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Almost done with this book and it is amazing. Why can't we have more Leia novels?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 30-31:

The end of this book was both heartbreaking and satisfying at the same time.

RIP Tai-Lin. As much as a political assassination can be an interesting story, you did not deserve that.

You either, Casterfo. There, I said it. His being the fall guy was not cool at all. I'm glad he and Leia made peace and understood each other at the end.

The old EU had Leia coming to terms with her father by viewing his childhood in Tatooine Ghost. And I liked it. But I liked this better.

"Never had she considered that the turn might begin at a better place, out of the desire to save someone or avenge a great wrong. Even if it had led to evil, that first impulse might be born of loyalty, a sense of justice, or even love.

Had it been like that for her father? She could never know. But for the first time in a very long time, she had some sense of who Anakin Skywalker might have been before his fall, and of the goodness that must have survived in him through all the darkness, all the years."

And yes, Leia, the political system that tried to destroy you has destroyed itself through corruption and stubbornness. The First Order came about due to sheer stupidity.

Ah, Carise...karma is as big a ***** as you are. LOL, "extreme moral crisis." Leia did not tell you who her sperm donor was. THAT'S an extreme moral crisis? LOL. If she were in the real world, she'd be either a birther or someone who tried to determine which politician inhaled. (Answer: the only people who give a **** are idiots.)

"You've never been able to convince yourself you were superior to anyone except through an accident of your birth, which by the way is one of the saddest things I can imagine."

[face_laugh] Indeed. That's all Carise has going for her.

Love the scene with Leia forming the Resistance at the end and I would not mind a sequel.

Great book. 10/10

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    We don't know about everything that caused Ben Solo's fall. We do know that Leia feels partially responsible.

"I just never should have sent him away, that's when I lost him. When I lost you both."

Give this statement and the fact that Leia hasn't seen Ben in a while and that he's currently off training with Luke, we can conclude that the next time Leia sees her son, he will be Kylo Ren. At this point in the timeline, Leia has already lost her son. She just doesn't know it yet.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The only possible way I could feel even a modicum of pity for Ben Solo is if we find out later that Snoke did something horrific to him. Leia's "I never should have sent him away" would make sense in that context, although she would have had no way of knowing what Snoke actually was, and if she had, she would have stopped her son from being exposed to him.

It is normal as a parent when something goes wrong to wish omniscience in order to stop the wrongdoing. That does not mean Leia actually did anything wrong, and the idea that she did, is the juvenile mindset of thinking that a grown child's problems are all the parents' fault and the grown child bears no responsibility.

wobbits, Revanfan1, Cynda and 2 others like this.