main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Bloodline by Claudia Gray (book spoilers permitted)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'm more inclined to think Snoke got the New Republic to help him wipe out Luke's Jedi Academy.

That's why I also assumed they used Ben to track down the Academy and simply let it appear Ben was responsible so Han & Leia would assume it was a lie Snoke had leaked so they'd assume Ben wasn't beyond help.

The combined force would explain why Luke went into hiding if he thought he was endangering Han & Leia if he remained.

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Oh, HELL no. She was singlehandedly responsible for the most awkward and least funny episode of The Big Bang Theory that ever existed.

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So I've just finshed reading this, I must admit claudia grey sure knows how to get you to feel for characters. Take Casterfo for exampel first I hated him then I felt sorry for him then I liked him and then hate and finaly I felt sorry for him. Good book, good story, this being the first of the new canon novels I've read (still have aftermath untuched on my kindle) I'm hoping we get a sequel.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ben killed the Jedi in the Academy. That's in the Official Encyclopedia and is indisputable.

Why the hell would the New Republic help Snoke do anything at all, much less kill the Jedi?

That sounds like the GFFA version of the 9/11 "truther" movement.

LoveThis likes this.
  5. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Snoke would know Luke is Darth Vader's son, given how they reacted to Leia who didn't find out she was his daughter until after Darth Vader was dead how would they react to Luke?

Given how infiltrated they were it wouldn't stretch much for Snoke to persuade them into making an unprovoked attack on what they'd see as a terrorist camp filled with a new generation of Darth Vader.

That and the fact Luke was trying to keep out of New Republic politics meaning the Senate had no control over him would only exasperate the situation as far as those who either didn't want either the Jedi or Sith to regain their former standing and those who wanted to make sure they answered to the Senate.

The fact it ended in tragedy and Ben would end up claiming the credit for the slaughter would allow them to deny involvement but seriously what else would send Luke into hiding?

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The New Republic would not see Luke's Jedi as a "terrorist camp filled with a new generation of Darth Vader," nor would they care about "controlling" Luke.

And the official sources do not say that Ben "claimed credit" for the slaughter. They say that he committed the slaughter.

Luke went into hiding for similar reasons that Obi-Wan did in ANH: he was ashamed at not training Kylo better and he knew Kylo would try to kill him if he found him. And given that Kylo was willing to torture people to find a map to Luke and finish the Jedi destruction that Darth Vader started, Luke was smart to hide.

Again...any attempt to claim that the New Republic slaughtered the Jedi is the stuff of a GFFA Truther Movement, along the lines of "Obi-Wan was secretly working for the Empire."

New Republic politics may have been corrupt and they may have been misguided to ostracize Leia because of Vader, but they are still the "good guys." They do not mass murder innocent people. That would be Kylo "Let me order villagers slaughtered for standing there and kill an old man for asking about my family" Ren.

7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Relevant to today's news

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars: Rise of the BoJo

Grievousdude and Darth Gladius like this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So... England's going to build an Empire again?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Bojo will finish what George III started

Vthuil and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If it's willing to take America back, that would probably be the equivalent of capturing and dismantling Starkiller Base.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm fairly confused by that comment. I tend to view humans as a sad lot in general. Much as I tend to deplore my country's politics right now, I don't imagine that there is some other country or culture out there just waiting to do a better job. There isn't.

Especially not a former contributor of the empire trope.

If you wanted to go off making painfully stretched analogies, a closer one for Britain taking America back would be the remnants of the Imperial starfleet hooking up with the Centrist planets to create the official First Order. Certainly not dismantling Starkiller Base.

Again, Painfully stretched.

When America goes down the drain, some other power will fill the vacuum and fail to uphold moral standards it claims to believe in. And maybe do a worse job. And so history will continue to go.

And there will always be versions of all of us making trite and painfully stretched analogies.

Anyhoo.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. OneTrueOverlord

OneTrueOverlord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Meanwhile [OFFICIAL STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE DETAILS RELEASED BY ENTERETAINMENT WEEKLY IN THE TAGS]

I tweeted Claudia Gray asking if she knew about Saw Guerra being in Rogue One and to quote her, she didn't know "but when they suggested Saw Gerrera might fit in one of Ransolm's rants, I had silent suspicions." [/spoilers]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm not sure where the initial assumption comes from though. The only people talking about Luke as if he were a myth are Rey and Finn, one who lives in a junkyard planet, the other who had been raised from birth in a Stormtrooper regiment. I don't think there's much of a public school system on Jakku, and the First Order would have depicted Luke as a boogeyman to terrify and inspire their child-soldiers.

TheRedBlade, Toonimator and Vthuil like this.
  15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I just finished the book today. Congratulations, Claudia Gray. You have written my two favorite Star Wars books in the new canon.

Sepra, redxavier, Diego Lucas and 2 others like this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I wouldn't say star wars is giving an anti democratic message they are pointing out that Governmental Systems, Civilizations crumble it is bound to happen to even the USA especially if a guy like Trump wins, just look at this whole Brexit mess. one question I have, by the time of TFA when Hosnian Prime is destroyed is there still a New Republic and a senate or have the Resistance replaced it totally?
    [I loved the connection to how the rebels started in the Rebels TV Show to how Leia started the Resistance movement, I did not see that coming at the end of the book but it makes sense that it would start that way...]

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    ABSOLUTELY NO MOVIE LEAKS OF ANY KIND ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THE MOVIE THREAD.

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Again, I'd like to stress that Benicio Del Toro doesn't look like Casterfo at all.

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    *cough* No Episode VIII spoilers/rumors/leaks outside of the movie thread *cough*

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This not the first time we're doing this people.

If I need to start setting the minimum ban for spoiler posting to a week and doubling from there to get the message across, I will.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Karl0413 and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I just finished Bloodline last night, the reason it took me so long Is because I was busy reading, Stephen Kings, The Drawing Of The Three, I started reading this thread for the first time at 3 AM last night or rather this morning, I was just to tired to read it all and see the warnings, sorry my bad:(

is it ok to post things about the movie spoilers that relate to the New EU books in the thread, New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Eps. 8 & 9 in the Episode 8 Spoiler forum?

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, depends, they don't always serve Litizens in those parts.

23. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    After reading this I would really like to see Claudia Grey take on a padme novel set just before ROTS. I really feel like Claudia could get in Padme's head and expand on her marriage to Anakin and the last days of the Republic.

Sepra and darklordoftech like this.
  24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just finished reading and enjoyed it.

25. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    If I haven't said It already I loved the book! so far I think Claudia Gray Is the best New EU writer!