Bloomsday - looking for interest in a performing group on the side

Discussion in 'Spokane, WA' started by Eledaia, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    As many of you know, John and I are involved in this SpoCon thing. SpoCon is looking at having a performing booth along the route, so no actual walking unless you're up for it. The booth would be showing all aspects of fandom and I think we have a belly dancing group that might perform there and we have been asked if we could provide a choreographed fight scene and populate the booth with all manner of costumed denizens.

We are under the gun for this because we have to put together a video presentation of what we will be offering in the way of entertainment. I believe the applications are deadlined for the end of March. If you are interested or want to choreograph the fight/participate in the fight or have another form of entertainment you think would add to the booth, please post here or PM me and I will get the ball rolling.

This will be a good way to expose(gasp!) the Spokantina at Bloomsday, even better than walking it!
  2. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
  3. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    So, am I going to be doing solo katas all day or what? Is anyone else interested? I can probably work out a simple fight scene but it'll take time and practice. Another combatant would be nice too........
  4. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    I am considering it, at the moment, but my schedule is pretty tight right now. How much time would be needed to work it out?
    Edit: Also, what time during Bloomsday are we planning on performing?
  5. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    No idea on performance time. As for practice: As much as possible, I can't say for certain how long it would take until I see how you fight and how quickly we could mesh our styles
  6. The_Cheeser Force Ghost

star 3
    If I can work the time out, I'd love to do this.
  7. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    What's your style? I'm fairly defensive, and use Eastern boken, but have been known to fence and grapple.
  8. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not something that I can really describe, it's more something that needs to be observed first hand. Your Bokken training will come in handy for sure. We need to figure out what exactly the deadlines and rules are. Kelly?
    We also need to find a time to get together and start practicing. When is Bloomsday?
  9. Dark_Jedi_Nasman Jedi Master

star 1
    Bloomsday is on Sunday, May 4th.
  10. Eledaia Jedi Knight

star 3
    We would be performing all during the event, so very early in the morning until afternoon. It wouldn't be a constant thing and we would have other performers as well (bellydancers). We will need something before the end of the month to show, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just something to add to the audition tape.
  11. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    At this point, I don't see how we can have anything ready for the tape. We could have something ready for the event but it will be touchy at that.
    We can certainly have people manning the booth/walking about in costume.
  12. Padmaye Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi guys - long time no see or talk. Sorry about that. Life has been rather harsh to my family as of late, but I'll fill you all in on our recent loss in another post.

Baxter, his good buddy Sage, and I have already registered to walk the race, so I won't be able to help out with the booth. It sounds like a great idea, though, so good luck! We'll certainly pause when we get to you and visit for a few.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and happy. Keep your loved ones close...

Padmaye
  13. Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, if we were to do a sword demonstration, smudge, we could at least describe what would be done, even if we cannot give an exact example of what it will be like.
    Look forward to hearing from you. Hope life is getting a little better.
  14. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    That is possible. My two main concerns are that we get in enough practice to be safe and look halfway decent. No brainers to be sure but the timing does concern me a little.
    Who is interested in being a part of the battle? We will need Jedi and possibly another Sith depending on how many fighters we get. I can provide a couple of extra sabers but if there is any way that someone could get their own (preferably Luxeon) it would be best. PM me if you need details on what sabers are safe to fight with and where/how to get them. We will need to begin practicing VERY soon, preferably weekly. I am available on the weekends.

So any takers?

15. Raph1613 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm interested in being ivolved, if my work schedule permits.

Plus, I think I'm the only other Sith-ish critter that we've got around here.

"The thillietht Thith in the univerth..." :)

And Smudge, where do I get a combattable luxeon? How much?
  16. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    www.thecustomsabershop.com
    How much depends on the parts/features you select, I'd allow at least $100 to $150 for a decent looking one....unless you make the majority of the hilt. Other good news is that you don't have to buy it all at once, you can go piece by piece as your $$ allows.
  17. Raph1613 Force Ghost

star 4
    Slightly off-Topic:
    Thank you Erik for the info about Luxeons. I just purchased a couple of parts to see if any of it might be compatable with any of my sabres. I'm not sure of that right now until I actually have some of their pieces and one (or more) of my sabres disassembled side by side.

On-Topic:
    I'm reasonably certain that I won't have a sabre ready by Bloomsday. I'm fairly uncertain as to whether or not I'll have that day off...

Even more off-Topic:
    Noelle and I recently watched Disney's remake of The Three Musketeers. I've always thought that you reminded me of some one, and now I know who. You pretty much embody all that is Porthos. Swashbuckling, dashing, stylish, insane, good-humored. Oh, and you're okay with a sword.
  18. the_black_smudge Jedi Knight

star 3
    ROTFLMAO *bows* thank you, thank you
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.