main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Bloomsday - May 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Earwen_Lightrider, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    It's important to remember that this is a SpoCon event and Kelli's putting it together for SpoCon, so it's not really something that's heavily up for debate, last year we were incredibly unorganized and "anything goes" this year it's a tighter ship and someone (Kelli) has stepped up to take charge, so I'll smack people around if I need to... Listen to our Captain! :D And we do need help, but mostly in the execution, not so much the planning at this point.

2. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    So... anyone planning on walking in costume with me?

3. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm sorry, but if this is the attitude for this year, I would rather stay home.

4. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    Sorry Nat. I know that I won't be walking, and apparently Noelle won't be either.
    Anyone else?

BEVAN, relax. That's just John's slightly over-the-top attitude, not Kelli's. They're not meaning to alienate anyone. He's just being supportive of his wife, who we all know already has a lot in the works at any given time.
    Besides, why stay home??? If it all goes totally wonky, you could walk the course with your lovely wife. As one of those super-cute Castle Crasher, no less. I know people would love it. Hell, you'd probably wind up in the paper!

Like I said, tell me what to do.
    I'm certain that I have a black SpoCon shirt from the first one.

EDIT: Despite the lack of organization last year, I still feel that it went okay. I know that I had a pretty good time.

5. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    There's no attitude, I just want everyone to realize that this isn't a "fan club" thing it's a SpoCon thing. SpoCon is a business, not a fan club, things run differently. We definitely want you to come and help Bevan, I just want to make sure everyone knows that the planning has been in the works longer than this thread has been up, decisions have been made and we're moving forward. What she needs are Monsters and Star Wars Cantina Patrons, also anime people and a possible idea for an anime skit/dance/routine. That's the one part that I think she IS interested in getting feedback and collaboration on because she's not really into the anime scene.

6. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I will point out, "had a pretty good time" and "made SpoCon look awesome" ain't always been similar :D

Having a good time is awesome, but for us the primary goal is making SpoCon look awesome... having fun is a happy coincidence ;)

7. The_Cheeser

The_Cheeser Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Kelli, now I know what I should really be doing for the event. Ask what you need.

What do you need from me? What would you like me to wear?

If I'm not needed, I'm ok with that. Maybe I'll walk with Natalie. I'd say "walk with my wife" but I'm pretty sure she'll be running it this time.

8. roxez

Nov 13, 2007
    John, the "attitude" I saw was in my opinion your assumption that we'd all just go along with it. I understand it's a Spocon thing, and I'm cool with that. I understand that the planning has been done by you already, and I'm cool with that too. What bothered me was the thought that the Spokantina was just supposed to fall in line, no questions asked. It's rather insulting to tell people who desire to express themselves their own way "No, it's our way or nothing".

I don't recall the Spokantina group being made to be Spocon's personal advertising service. We're not sponsored by Spocon (and if we are I haven't seen any money for propworking!), nor do we as the Spokantina owe the con anything. The only connection is you and Kelli are in both groups. That's it. So for you to come here and say "we really only want these costumes/skits/etc." or "we're only promoting Spocon" is basically telling those of us who work hard on our stuff that it's not good enough, not worthy to be there. I stated I wanted to wear a costume I spent my hard-earned time and money making to be awesome enough that the creators themselves rewarded me and Nat for it and was flat out told no.

You've told us this grand plan with no input from us, no asking what we would like to do, and less than three weeks to prep for the whole thing, and that's it. No changes, no second thoughts, take it or leave it. So like I said, if that's the attitude, that the group I signed up for cannot even be mentioned lest the con loses a potential guest, that we can't do what we like and have to fall in like John's little ad service, then I'm sorry, I'll sit out this one. I'll support Spocon by buying a ticket to get in.

9. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    We're not demanding everyone or anyone participate, this is merely a "casting call", if you will, to participate in promoting SpoCon, we're asking individuals from the Spokantina to volunteer to help SpoCon as so many of you have graciously done in the past. This isn't a "how can the group help SpoCon" thing, it's a "how can I as an individual help promote the largest SciFi/Fantasy Convention in the area". If you don't want to show up and be put to work, fine, don't. But if you do want to help promote SpoCon and have fun, awesome! Contact Kelli, or let her know here, and she'll find a place for you in the entertainment.

I'm all for letting everyone do whatever awesome costumes they want, but she made a decision, and I'm going to stand by her on it, she wants organized, choreographed entertainment without a "hodge-podge" of costumes. Save the cool costumes for the Con, or ask her if it can be integrated into the show, but be prepared to have someone in charge telling you what to do. We're not trying to diminish anyone's talents or abilities or contributions (we've come to this group specifically because we know how awesome you guys are). We're all volunteers, and Kelli's running the event, so we're doing it her way, because she's stepped up to organize this when no one else would. She could use everyone's support and willingness to work with her and do whatever she needs.

I'm not running this event. I just want everyone to understand that Kelli needs some support and help, every year she runs a fantastic Masquerade at SpoCon, so I know she's got it in her to make something fun and entertaining, we just need to get behind her and support her 100%. I was against the "organized skits" at first, but I realized that instead of fighting it and creating issues, I just need to offer whatever help I can to make sure that her idea is a success. Alfredo, Mason, thanks for volunteering and being so eager!

10. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Nevermind, screw it. There isn't enough time to do what I want to do anyway. Show up in whatever you have. With the fact that they asked for a volunteer to run this too late and since I'm having to go to Walla Walla every other weekend, it won't get done. Maybe next year.

11. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    I can understand and appreciate your frustration Kelli. For what it's worth, I'm sorry that things aren't working out the way you wanted. Just think of how incredibly awesome the skits will be for next year.
    As for this year, I think that we can still put forth a good show, it may not be as organized as we'd hope for, but good nonetheless!

12. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    *sigh*

Sorry things didn't go as you'd hoped, Kelli.
    Hopefully, this event will at least go as well as last year did.
    Are we going to be in the same location?

13. Radiocerk

Radiocerk Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2010
    Now, that I'm finally getting the auto-immune thing under control, I'll walk with you, Nat. I had a great time last year. I was so bummed out when I thought I'd have to sit on the sidelines this time.

14. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Yay! That's great Sabrina! I just signed Bevan (as long as he doesn't get scheduled to work) and I up for walking.

15. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Alright, since Kelli's plans have fallen through, anyone who has a really good looking costume, we could use you. We'd like to have equal parts sci-fi and fantasy, Smudge, Alfredo, you guys have pretty awesome fantasy outfits, it would be awesome if you could join us on the fantasy side! Also, we had a problem with "Edgar the Barbarian" last year, so please make sure your costumes are family appropriate and at least PG-13.

If there's anyone roughly my size, I've got my BSG uniform that they can wear, since I'll be in Han Solo mode.

16. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    Can do John, do you/Kelli have preferences on what direction I should go? I have my Shadow Jedi, I could do faire garb/pirate with or without a fantasy twist, or smuggler-ish again.
    Also, do we want a prop table again?

17. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I like the idea of doing some Faire garb. I think the prop table will be more hassle than is necessary, just wear some really cool props :D Also, bringing some extra blasters and whatnot for people who have a costume but not a weapon is probably a sound idea.

18. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    To be honest, a prop table is no hassle at all to me, You know how I love playng with my toys lol. So I am 100% willing and eager and intend to do the table unless you and Kelli do not want it.

19. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think it's probably too much of a liability for SpoCon, in the event that one of your props gets taken, or random people start messing with it. It's just a lot to worry about. We overlooked that last year, and we got lucky that you had all your stuff at the end of the day :p Also, we don't want to display stuff that won't be allowed at SpoCon, i.e. Nerf guns and get people's hopes up that they'll be allowed to bring them to SpoCon, you know, false advertising and all that.

On an incredibly off-topic note... we need to start a Nerf Skirmish group!

20. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    oh fine, be that way *pouts*

I'll probably bring my card table anyway for practical reasons, and I'll have an assortment of props available for anyone who needs them.

On a separate note, I've been thinking about the arguments surrounding this event. It seems to me that what we might want to do for next year is have a Spokantina booth set up next to the Spocon one. This way we can get in some advertising for the group as well as Spocon. This would also give those of us who want to do things that don't completely fit the Spocon "mold" the chance to do so without adversely affecting Spocon's interests.

Just an idea.

21. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I doubt that would fly with the Bloomsday committee, they're pretty watchful of what you do on the course, we're not even allowed to hand out promotional material to people who ask about it. Like I've said, primary goal right now is getting people who are even marginally interested in fandom to SpoCon, after that we've got a much narrower pool of recruits, which is good, it means the Spokantina wastes less time trying to recruit people who aren't interested, think of it as SpoCon doing the heavy lifting ;)

Though I did discover that we're letting our DJ advertise in exchange for his time, the main difference being, he's a professional providing a professional service, not a fan club trying to get free publicity :p

The way I see it, we all ought to be donating as much time as possible to help SpoCon, without any expectations of compensation, it's an important thing for Spokane to have and if for some reason SpoCon were to tank (though I doubt it will for a long time), it'll take years for another convention to take it's place, and I know that I don't want to have to wait for another one, especially one with the heart and community that SpoCon has. My love/hate relationship with Star Wars is in a constant state of flux, but my geekery, my fandom, is a constant, no matter what I'm a fan of, I'm always welcome to come to SpoCon and share it (as long as it's family friendly). That's my perspective anyway, that's why I want to see SpoCon succeed.

22. the_black_smudge

May 24, 2004
    While I agree that Spocon is a wonderful thing, and by all means needs the support of the community and other fan groups, remember that the members of the Spokantina do not work for Spocon, we are not Spocon's free advertising service nor are we the private grunts of anyone or any organization other than perhaps LFL.

Personally I have never joined any committee or organization dedicated to promoting Spocon's interests exclusively, but I have bent over backwards for the Spokantina, and there have been times of late that I have felt personally and for the Spokantina as a group a little underappreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I do wish to continue to support Spocon, and I appreciate all the dedicated and hard work that goes into organizing it.

23. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Refer to my other posts about asking for volunteers etc. We don't expect you guys to feel the need to help promote, I just want everyone to understand that from my perspective, promoting SpoCon can only help The Spokantina. And I completely understand that The Spokantina is under no obligation to SpoCon.

Also you're preaching to the choir of under-appreciated people here [face_plain] That's the rest I'll say on the boards before I get myself into more trouble.

24. roxez

Nov 13, 2007

So which one is it? o_O

25. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I'm done. If you want to help promote SpoCon, awesome, show up, we'll put you to work. If not that's fine too. I've got to keep recruiting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.