main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA Bloomsday - May 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Earwen_Lightrider, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Look, this is ridiculous. Show-up, don't show-up, I don't care. I really don't know where all of this miscommunication is coming from. When have I ever demanded that ANYONE participate in ANYTHING SpoCon related from this group? I had a group of friends who like to dress-up in public and I figured I could count on them to help me pull off the vision I had in my head, my bad. Realistically, there wasn't enough time to anything even remotely like what I had planned, even before I volunteered for this. Next year we will start in January and when I say "we" I mean anyone who cares to join me. I will have specific costumes and choreography in mind and if that is not your cup of tea, walk in Bloomsday, get a booth specifically for the Spokantina or stay home. I always thought that being connected to the Spokantina and SpoCon would be positive thing for both sides, but I'm seeing that this is not the case. Next year I will mention SpoCon's Bloomsday plans, lock the thread and anyone interested can contact me.

That being said, no more posts here about the SpoCon booth, just reference the walking group. If you are planning on helping with the SpoCon booth in person, PM and I'll be calling people with more details as I get them.

2. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    It's not you, Kelli...

It's your spokesperson.

When two members of the Spokantina have to tell him "the Spokantina is NOT Spocon's personal advertising service" it means we have issue with the way John is talking about the Con, like it is all that matters and the Spokantina is just a side issue. This is not Spocon's message board, this is the Spokantina's, so anything posted here must benefit the fan club first and foremost.

How does volunteering to promote Spocon, but not being able to wear our own costumes (or in Smudge's case show off his props) and not being able to promote the club we joined and care about a benefit to the Spokantina?

3. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    No Bevan, it is you. You don't get it. John never said anything that goes against what I had planned at all. I only wanted canon costumes, period. It is ok now that I can't do what was planned for the event. You read into everything John said, your have the misunderstanding. Yeah, the Spokantina isn't the personal advertising force for SpoCon, and I don't know where you are getting that. Please enlighten me regarding any instances in the last year when you felt obligated to donate your time to "advertise" SpoCon.

Sure, we expect people to be as excited about promoting SpoCon as we are, but if you don't feel the same way, no skin off our noses. We have put in hundreds of hours for SpoCon, so naturally we feel invested in it. I don't know why you are so upset! Is this really all because you weren't going to get to wear what you wanted? I was wanting to go in a different direction than last year and that was my prerogative. It was your prerogative to say "Well, I don't fit with what you want to do, so I'll just walk Bloomsday." This whole "I don't like your attitude" has been totally unproductive and really, it makes me want to choose between the two groups, and right now I'm more invested in SpoCon.

SpoCon = Large fan-base in one area = Concentrated advertising opportunity for Spokantina
    And when did we ratify that every post must benefit the Spokantina in the Bylaws? If that is part of theforce.net rules, then we have a ton of threads we need to delete.

If everyone else is sick of being included in what John and I are doing with SpoCon, so be it. I'll never mention it again or ask you to participate. Seriously, leaving you guys in the dark will be alot less annoying that having to explain our motivations in this fashion.

That being said, consider me gone for the summer and plan your meetings without me. I'm in Walla Walla every other weekend now with costuming the summer musical.

4. the_black_smudge

the_black_smudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2004
    Ok, I think we all need to take a deep breath, loosen our sphincters and think about this for a minute. Where is this heading? I'm not liking the direction I'm seeing.

We all need to remember that 1. we are all friends here.
    2. this is a VERY stressful time for all of us.
    3. All of this from Spocon, to Bloomsday participation to the very reason the Spokantina exists is supposed to be fun.

If we cease to be civil to each other, if this is no longer fun, then what pray tell is the point? I for one, have less than no desire to see this conflict escalate and cause irreparable damage to our friendships and our various organizations and endeavours. As Shepard Book said;"we are very close to true stupidity here"

I feel that we need to pull together and get through Bloomsday this year, then we can worry about next year. Too much effort has been expended on this to let it fall apart now. Kelli, John: I for one appreciate all the work you have put into Spocon and wish to support you and the con. Yeah I got a little butthurt about the prop table but I'm getting over it. I will wear my renn faire garb and try to "fantasy" it up a little and provide props for those that need them. I hope that the rest of the group can pull together and make this year as much fun as last. To that end, I'm holding a pre Bloomsday meet at my place on the Sat before, as we did last year. (reference my other post)
    Let's get through this and move on.

As for the rest of the summer, Kelli, John, I hope that you can make it out to some events, it would truely suck to not see you until fall! However we all understand work obligations, and the need to rest and not be on the road every frakking weekend!

I urge everyone to come out here on May 1, and at least try to talk this out. I also urge everyone to try and remember why we're all here and that we are all friends.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Locking per request.

Event Info:

Earwen_Lightrider - Nat if you are interested in walking.
    Eledaia - Kelli if you are interested in helping with the SpoCon booth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.