main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Oh, and Fallout 3 > Oblivion. And the Uncharted games are awesome. Where are you in UC2?

I think Heavy Rain is aiming for that 'playing a movie' feel as well...though in Fahrenheit's case that came at the expense of actual gameplay. I've heard HR is better.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yes, Fallout is technically better than Oblivion, but I could never get into it. Oblivion's world was far more interesting to me. And guilds!

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I find AC to be kind of tedious, which is a criticism I had read of it before, too. I still felt it was worth playing before playing the second one, which is supposedly better. I think it gets pretty repetitive, but is oddly addictive anyway. Mostly I just wanted to see cities like Jerusalem and Akko (Acre), which I was familiar with from studying in Israel.

I've heard good things about Fallout 3 and keep going back and forth on it. My problem is that I actually don't like games with a lot of creepy crawly eerie goons. I don't know how else to put that :p But they freak me out. Which is weird, because they don't at all in films. I just don't like them running at me. It messes up my aim.

Heavy Rain definitely has that push. It reminds me (in the demo) somewhat of my previous reigning favorite game for years, Shenmue. Which is a great thing.

I just started chapter 16 of UC2. I'm trying to slow down playing it because I don't want to blow through it so quickly. Basically I just got back to where the game began.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Ah, that preceding action sequence is my favourite part of the game. :)

5. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    In that case, you should play some Silent Hill.

I just finished AC 2 a while back--much MUCH better than the first one in my opinion.

Fallout 3 is pretty fantastic, despite the "creepy crawly eerie goons." One of the most exciting abilities is to randomly summon a mysterious man in a hat who obliterates any foe with a pistol.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//1/1f/FO3_Centaur.jpg]

Really, though,

Get Uncharted 2 if you haven't already.

EDIT: you do have it. Awesome.
    EDIT 2: If only you could play Mass Effect 1 & 2....I love those ones so much...Bioware is amazing. Too bad you either need a fancy computer or the fail-box to play them. Honestly, I would have just bought a PS3 had it not been for the fact that xbox grabbed sort of a monopoly on the number of quality games. All the same, everything has gone down in price so much over the past couple years. I nabbed a PS3 for 100 bucks off of Ebay last year...or was it 200? Eh, it was ebay and it was way cheaper than 400 bucks, that's for sure (cheapest blu-ray player ever?).

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually there are blu-ray players around 100 bucks now ;)

So I played up to Chapter 21 in UC2 tonight. That tank stuff was crazy. I absolutely love how the quality of these action sequences is literally that of a blockbuster film. Or better. And it doesn't hurt that Nolan North is awesome.

I should be getting AC2 sometime soon, I think. I might take a break and play Heavy Rain first, though, as I think I'd really like it from the demo and whatnot.

I beat AC1 last night. Really anticlimactic ending. And it was frustrating suddenly having to fight like mad. Ah, well, I largely played it to get into the world for the second one. And to see the old cities. The final kill in Jerusalem took place in a graveyard that was literally just over the wall from the school I attended there. Weird.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Actually there are blu-ray players around 100 bucks now

Well yeah, now, but not when I bought it. Like I said, prices have gone down. UC 2 is amazing.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am on chapter 21 of UC 2 now and thankfully the Olypmics have meant that I have had a distraction so I don't just blow through the whole thing. I'll beat it this weekend, I'm sure. But that's okay now because Heavy Rain arrives Tuesday so at least I'll have something else to play.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Are you using Gamefly or just getting a lot of games? :p

Heavy Rain is a fascinating game, to say the least. Definitely unique...kinda like the evolution of the point and click adventure game.

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    So, after playing the demo.. I am pumped for Heavy Rain :D Anyone else? Being that film noir is my favorite genre, I really dug it. Brought back so many fond memories of Shenmue, another of my favorite games of all time.

My only gripe... they pulled a "Bones" and "CSI". Unless I am mistaken (and someone tell me that I am), what the hell was it with the sci-fi forensic specs the FBI agent wore? Took me away from the story really hard. Now, granted, it's a cool sci-fi concept - but man. Hopefully someone may enlighten me whether this game is sci-fi or not. If it is, then cool - I love sci-fi noir :)

Anyway, outside of that, my next big purchases are FF13, Star Ocean and Darksiders.

I want to try AC2, but still have sour memories of the first one. Cool story, great visuals - but it got so boring due to the repetition. Also wanted to try White Knight Chronicles, but every review says the game is ridiculously easy and the combat isn't that deep. Meh, why play online if the challenges are easy?

Other than those games, I still need to go back eventually to Oblivion, but I have not even started the main quest yet lol And I got burned out trying to level my toon so I can get decent stat boosts upon a level up.

Oh, almost forgot - I am also looking forward to Mod Nation Racers :D That looks like a blast!

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Give AC 2 a try, it's better than the first one in nearly every way.

Yeah, the glasses in Heavy Rain were kind of hilarious. Having not played Shenmue, however, I'm really looking forward to this one (it seems to be somewhat up that alley as SJ suggested to me tonight). I probably just rent it though.

12. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I'm probably going to buy it, mainly because I want to support developers who give us games like these. They say the game is not too long, but the game has so many outcomes that it may keep me interested.

Anyone play Bioshock 2 yet? I'm debating picking it up. LOVED the first one, but it was one of those games that I finished and felt that it did not need a sequel at all. Maybe a prequel, but not a sequel. Not to mention, the creator and writer of the first game had nothing to do with this one - it has me worried. Part of the greatness of the first one was that it was an amazing solo experience. It did not need multiplayer, as it was story driven and it was not a twitch shooter, but an adventure game that is in FP, much like Metroid.

13. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I read the review of Heavy Rain in EW (Entertainment Weekly)...I'm not liking this magazine. Some parts, I enjoy, but the reviews and some of the comments are pretty ridiculous. I got a free trial with a subscription to Gamefly. Anyhoo,

They reviewed Heavy Rain without understanding that it has multiple endings--they make no mention of one the game's strongest features--that because it's a game, you have choice, and you're not just playing a game that's trying to be a movie. If a character dies, the game does not end and it's up to you what that character does--the story is your own in many respects. There is something to be said about games that create a wonderful cinematic atmosphere coupled with brilliant execution, but this game differs from some of the more linear games in that realm (like Uncharted 2), and it should be praised for pushing that role-playing envelope.

Also they gave it an A- over Mass Effect 2's B+ despite citing the same issue with both games (occasional graphical hiccups related mostly to choppy unrealistic animation--which is a rarity in both games). Subjectively, I can see why they felt Heavy Rain was the better game though, just looking at their magazine over the past couple weeks.

But, why do they say over-top things like "Seriously Heavy: Rain is unlike anything you've ever played."

Have they ever heard of Shenmue?

It's unique, for sure, but it's not unlike anything I've ever played.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a related note--another magazine goof I found was this little glory from GameInformer regarding the God of War series:

In their March release calender, they mention the upcoming remake of The Clash of the Titans and claim:

"Welcome to Rip-Off City"
    "Hollywood once again rips off a video game idea. Today's release, Clash of the Titans, is basically God of War:The Movie. Hydra? Seen it. Minotaur? Boring. The movie even steals locations, like Athens and Hades, straight from the game. Shameless. Just Shameless."

*Note, Clash of the Titans came out in 1981, God of War came out in 2005--both are loosely based on Greek Mythology
    *Athens and Hades did not originate from God of War...

Are they pulling my chain, or was the writer really that dumb?

14. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    lol My guess, the writer was mocking internet fanboys (I'm looking at you GameFaqs) that think everything is stolen from GoW, Halo, Final Fantasy or GTA.

FYI, I loved the original Clash of The Titans in all its cheesy, fun, hack and slash glory and am so pumped for the remake and all the cheese it will offer :D

Honestly, nothing is stolen gameplay wise... just refined, polished or presented in a new way.

Shenmue did it before Heavy Rain.. the latter just seemed to push it to new levels. GTA - and even the developers admit this - borrowed from the Zelda series, especially Ocarina of Time in presenting a "sandbox".

It's like when people say Dante's Inferno ripped off GoW. Yeah, it's not as well put together - but come on - GoW just refined what the genre has done before and presented it in a very cool way.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that was a bit of sarcasm on Game Informer's part. They're known for that. :p

16. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    It's like when people say Dante's Inferno ripped off GoW. Yeah, it's not as well put together - but come on - GoW just refined what the genre has done before and presented it in a very cool way.

Yeah, this reminds me, I never found Halo to be all that amazing, I felt that it was way over-hyped. I'm looking forward to Halo:Reach, the first time I've ever really looked forward to a Halo game, because it looks like they're actually pushing the boundaries this time.

Perfect Dark is just so dear to my heart though...it's rather unfortunate that Microsoft stole Rare's soul--I would love to be able to play across PC, PS3, and Xbox--Perfect Dark fest (the remake...is coming).

Speaking of "soul," has anyone here tried Demon's Soul? I hear it's quite good.

17. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    It's more than just good... it is amazing. So far, it is my favorite PS3 game :)

The online components are wicked cool, the gameplay is not only fun, but quite balanced even despite its notorious difficulty. Yes, the game is brutal - especially on your first run through - however, it never makes you feel "taken". Meaning, you do not die because the game throws endless enemies with ridiculously high life bars at you or sequences that require insane twitch reflexing. No, the game is hard because it either punishes you for YOUR mistake or in the case of the boss, you need to figure out its pattern and weakness. Almost every boss fight is like a puzzle. And if a level is proving too tough, grind out an earlier level or go to a different world. This is a game where cockiness will get you killed. Enemies do not randomly spawn. They are always where they should be and if you die, he will be at that spot with the same fighting style and pattern.

I never ran like crazy in the game when doing a new level I was not familiar with. I always moved and especially entered doors and turned corners with my shield up. I made sure I kept my weapon of choice leveled, and when I was in trouble - I would summon help.

The online is great because not only can you summon help or help others, but you see the real time spirits of other players going through the level at the same time as you, and thus you can see if they take a fall or are fighting an enemy near. Also, when players die, they leave a blood stain. Touching one shows how they died. If you see a blood stain... examine it. If you see a lot... lol... prepare yourself. You can also read hints by others while playing or you can leave your own message on the floor.

Oh and of course... PVP :)

18. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Anyone interested in Final Fantasy? If so it release March 9th and Game Informer give it a 9.25. However since it does also release on the 360 I'm kinda torn witch one to get. GI said they haven't gotten their hands on the 360 ver. as of yet and would rate it seperately once they did. I'm leaning toward getting the PS3 ver for the simple fact that I have the 160G harddrive versus and 20G 360.

19. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm worried about it...

I'm going to give it a try, but I don't like the direction they took it in, at least, on paper. Maybe I'll change my mind once I play it.

Nobuo Uematsu didn't even work on this one, I don't think. And, the female lead is very attractive (I like that they have a female lead every six games apparently), but I'm hoping she's not a carbon-copy of Cloud Strife (who has since been defined by Advent Children...I like the Cloud from the game better, he's less of a mope).

Check out this MEGA64 video about Heavy Rain: Video Game Drama

20. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I have it reserved. Honestly, I know that it's linear... but so was FFX and I loved it. It was my favorite FF along with 6 and 9. And honestly, there is a reason I play JRPG's, especially Final Fantasy... it's for the storyline and the fun as hell combat systems. I don;t play FF games for the same reason I play western RPG's, which are more about character creation, customization and an open ended story that you shape. I love them, but I also love what JRPG's offer, which is a story and character driven game first.

I also like that they are doing a heavy sci-fi theme again. I didn't care for 7 as much as others did, but I loved the sci-fi aspect of it.

21. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Ugh. PSN is not only down, but it is affecting PS3's world wide except the slims it seams. Not only cannot play my downloaded and paid for PSN titles (even single player), but I cannot play my PSOne Classics! Not only that, can't play half of my disc based games!

Ugh!

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Indeed.

Seems some people are even losing saved game files and trophy data. It's all over the GameFAQs forums. I had to text a friend of mine to tell him not to turn on his PS3 until they find some way to fix it.

23. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Official Sony forums have been shut down for "maintenance". [face_liarliar]

Luckily all this went down while I was at work. I'm not using my fat PS3 till all this is sorted.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    WOW I'm glad I read this when I did then! I was literally getting up to go hook mine up!

25. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Around 7 PM my time, Eastern, the "problem" should be fixed after the so called leap year clock issue auto corrects itself after the GMT time passes for the date of March 1st, which is the time my PS3 started acting up yesterday.