main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Sony's advice released on sites like PC World was to not play your PS3 today and then the problem should be fixed. I can tell you this, if I had the day off and wanted to play my PS3 I would be POed!

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
  3. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Works!

At 7 PM Eastern, which is 00:00 GMT (march 2nd), my PS3 auto corrected itself and works perfectly.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    ....did Sony just get Y2K10ed?

Well, at least they have 4 years to work on a fix. :p

5. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    HaHaHa Yeah, PS3 got Y2K'ed. Was hilarious. Annoying, but hilarious. I wasn't too worried about it because I knew that unless Sony wanted a suit, the problem would either get fixed soon or fix itself... which it did.

To be honest, I was more puzzled why my PSOne classics would not play of all things! They don't connect to the servers for trophy support and are installed fully on the HD.

6. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    There's probably a background process that checks PSN to ensure they are on the PS3 that purchased them originally. Basically DRM for games.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a question about PS3s and backwards compatibility. I was in a games shop the other day and I mentioned that I'd want to play all my old PSX games on but couldn't because the PS3 doesn't have backwards compatibility. He said that they could play PSX games but not PS2 games as the PS2 uses an expensive engine or something and not including it made the PS3 cheaper. Can anyone tell me more about this?

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The 60 GB PS3 is the only backward compatible console in the European area. They are old, and rare, and prone to breaking, now.

It's kinda sad.

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    The PS3 (except the 60gb as mentioned above) isn't b/c for PS1 or PS2 games as far as I'm aware. The PSN does sell some PS1 games that can be played on the PS3 when downloaded. Maybe that's what shop guy meant?

10. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    AFAIK they all play PS1 games, but not PS2 games. The PS2 required hardware emulation which they took out after the original model. PS1 only needs software emulation so they all have that.

11. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, any PS3 can play PS1 games.

However, strong rumors are floating that Sony is working on an emulation engine so that PS2 games will be BC in the future. Also, a rumor is running around based off of some Sony documents, that Dreamcast emulation may come our way.

12. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    The PS3 can play MOST PS1 games, but not all. I know this for a fact as I got Rebel Assault II on ebay awhile back and it didn't work.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's been a while since there's been any new information on the rumor of PS2 and Dreamcast games coming to PSN, though. I really, really want both of those. You have no idea how much.

Speaking of Dreamcast, I've been playing Shenmu- errr, Heavy Rain :p Yes, Shenmue has been my long-standing favorite game of all time. And yes, Heavy Rain incorporates a lot of the gameplay elements of Shenmue. But they're also fundamentally different on a number of levels. Surprisingly, Heavy Rain, though it has the choice-system, is far more linear. What I mean is, if you cut to a scene where you're interrogating someone, you have to do that then and there and then it goes to the next scene. Shenmue was more of an open-world game. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just pointing this out needlessly ;)

But yes, I think I'm about halfway through Heavy Rain and I freaking love it. I am already thinking "man, I need to play this again and try X to see how it affects the game!" That's a good sign. Also, I should theoretically be getting my pre-order DLC stuff for it soon... Anyway, I think the game is brilliant. It might not be for everyone, but honestly I'd rather have character-driven stuff that a balls-to-the-wall shooter. It's far more my style.

I think the interesting thing in Heavy Rain is that I sort of picked a 'characterization' for each of the playable characters at the beginning and have stuck with that. So, for instance, I chose to play Norman as a druggy but otherwise a clean cop, and I've stuck to that. So I'm excited to go back and play him as, for instance, a Dirty Harry type. I can already see the potential for many adjustments in this game. And I think that's why it's choice-system is heads and shoulders above anything else we've seen in gaming. As someone focused almost entirely on single-player, story-driven games, it makes me excited for the future :D

Speaking of good story and characters, I did finish Uncharted 2 last week. Absolutely incredible. It definitely does rival Shenmue for me as a top game of mine. Although they're also completely different, so it's hard to compare. The important thing for me is that Uncharted, despite its linear nature and all the shooting, is at its heart very character-driven. And still has the best voice acting I've ever seen (not to mention realistic, nuanced animation to go along with it).

That's the one thing Heavy Rain is missing. The voice actors probably wouldn't be bad in their native language. They're not horrible, still. But it's painfully obviously that they're mostly Europeans putting on accents. I just have to pretend that they're people who've moved to the US from France and then I ignore it :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    After watching one of the unlocked features, I was surprised to learn most of the main characters are British actors. Not being American, I had no idea their accents are fake. :p

15. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Nathan Drake is the new Indiana Jones.

You can notice the fake accent with the guy and the glowy inspector glasses (Heavy Rain).

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Norman Jayden? I noticed his accent was a little strange, but I just assumed it was a mix of different American accents.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    De-stickifying.

18. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Can anyone think of a reason that my PS3 will not come on screen on a 32 Phillps flat. The DVR is run through the HDMI, well I have tried both inputs and the PS3 doesnt comeon screen. So today I tried the AV cables in two places as well and no screen. This is the only TV that I have problems with but it is the one I need the thing to work on! Any ideas?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's possible your TV doesn't do 1080p but that your PS3 is set to output at that resolution, which would mean that you wouldn't be able to see it. I'm sure there's a way to lower the resolution setting on the PS3 without being able to see, but I'm not sure what it is. Of course, that might not be the problem, but I know I've had that problem in the past with other Blu-Ray players

Loool, all the accents of Europeans in the game sound really fake to Americans :p It's honestly one of the only bad things about the game. Lauren, Norman, and Ethan are all clearly Europeans. Not British, though. I looked it up, and I was right in thinking that Ethan and Lauren are French. I had to look up where the voice of Norman was from, since it's clearly a put-on accent. He's the British one, which makes sense. The accent sounds similar to East Coast accents attempted by Brits in films all the time.

Oddly, though, Norman's accent doesn't distract me. As much of an exaggeration as it is, there are people on the East Coast that sound like that. Plus, I love Norman [face_love]

Ethan's accent is the only distracting one, because he's attempting the General American Accent and that's a really, really hard accent to achieve for anyone not born with it. One of the toughest, actually, because it's so flat and full of schwas. So his intonations and accent sound unnatural, which is too bad.

[/linguistics nerd]

But Heavy Rain is incredible :D I am about to finish it, and I want to replay it immediately.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Where did you find that? Ethan, Norman and Madison all sounded English to me in the video feature (obviously Lauren is French). The only reference I can find to Pascal Langdale's nationality is that he's a UK citizen. [face_thinking]

Here check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVDnGm117pk

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry, hadn't watched the video yet, was just going on IMDB. With the woman, though, I'm actually not sure that's her voice. I noticed they didn't show her speaking with an American accent in the video, and I thought I saw in the credit that for Madison Paige it was listed as someone else *and* her. Almost positive. Maybe she just did mo-cap. If she did do the accent, it's flawless. But I'm not sure... didn't really sound like her.

I was assuming from his name that Pascal was French. And also the fact that he honestly sounds French. His accent is worse than most Brits I've seen try to do American accents. I'm not entirely sure why he slipped into French, but oh well :p

I just finished the game and now I'm dying for more games like this.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. Lando_Bubrissian7

Lando_Bubrissian7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2004
    The PlayStation 3's delayed "hero", Final Fantasy XIII, might not be enough to save it right now. It's dissapointing to see the special effects in quasi-real-time combat, aside from trying to mimick Advent Children's elements, don't appear to quash those that we see in the more traditional turn-based games like Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast), mainly (prove this statement wrong with a YouTube video, please).

Heavy Rain's ploy at being a Shenmue clone, doesn't seem to be sitting well, if the American audience needs to play the game in subtitles, just to hear what the [mostly] French V.O. cast is saying in English.

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm becoming ever more jaded than thrilled with what any of these next-gen consoles are trying to punch out, especially the PS3.

God of War III is just more bloodshed and more [censored] sexual games, with new graphix.

Where's the new Intelligent Qube or [now de-mascoted] Crash Bandicoot? Where's the full PS2 support (poor Slim owners, that didn't own a PS2, beforehand)?

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Crash has been replaced by Ratchet as the face of PS3 platforming. His games are much better too.

Oh and Heavy Rain has sold half a million + copies. Despite being released on February 26, it made it into the Top 10 charts for February game sales...not bad for a niche game.

24. Lando_Bubrissian7

Lando_Bubrissian7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2004
    It's to late for me to edit what I said earlier, but I was wrong, the voice actors/actresses in Heavy Rain do sound fine. I got that fact straight after recently watching an in-game video. Sorry about that quirk.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So I stopped by GameStop randomly today, even though I never do, and lo and behold they were having an annual sale. So I managed to get new copies of ACII and MGSIV for $30 and $20 respectively. Yay! Now I have something to do until Red Dead Redemption comes out.

-sj loves kevin spacey