VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Fallen-Hero ~ Helping Hand of WNU ~

VIP
    star 4
    Firstly I want to apologise if this question has been answered, but I skimmed the thread and didn't find anything.

I've read from a few sites that the PS3 is region-free, thus allowing a console bought in North America to play games bought oversees. Has anyone here tried it, or know if it really does work?

By the way, if there's a thread already about this, please, by all means, direct me towards it. :)
  2. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It's true. PS3 games (not Blu Ray movies) are region free.

Edit: PS2 and PS1 games are still locked.
  3. Fallen-Hero ~ Helping Hand of WNU ~

VIP
    star 4
    Yeah I knew about the others not working, I was mainly asking because I'm starting to believe Europe are all getting the Collector's Editions and I also know my brother had mentioned something about racing games that we didn't seem to have up here in Canada. Thanks for the reply.
  4. A-Null Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    There are some region free Blue Ray...you just have to know where to look![face_mischief]
    http://www.movietyme.com

The PS3 being region free is brilliant for games. I live in the UK and was in New York when Call of Duty 5 got released (2 years ago). It wasn't out in the UK for another 3 weeks but I was playing it before all my friends! :D. I am out there for work a few times a year so I go mad on PS3 games!!! [face_laugh]

I have noticed that some online sites have stopped shipping internationally on BD and Games (Amazon to drop names). I can't buy any BD or PS3 games on amazon.com and get them shippied to the UK because they are probably wise to the $ to £ conversion. Oh well...:_|
  5. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I sold my PS3, so I won't be online for a while. :p

Why? I just never used it. Even with all the exclusives I owned, it just sat there gathering dust. Even blu-ray isn't a big deal any more, DVDs do the job just fine.

My sister bought it though, so it won't be far away. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a slim at some point in the future.
  6. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    But... but... ModNation Racers is a week and a half away! :eek: It'll be the first time I take my PS3 online, and you go off and sell yours! For shame... :p
  7. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Too late now. :p

My Xbox is more than enough to keep me happy. I spend waaaay too much time with games.
  8. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
  9. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
  10. Clone_Commander169 Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone else here play MAG? Im seriously shocked at how little people even know about it
  11. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Awesome day at work today. Sony dropped by the office to showcase Move. I played table tennis for about 10 minutes and it was pretty slick, though I can't say I found a whole lot of difference from the Wii. I also played this weird game called Kung Fu Rider.
  12. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Anyone played inFamous? Played it, liked it, started a replay but got distracted.

Anyways....

holy graphical upgrade Batman. This looks quite amazing.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-chase-infamous-2/701415
  13. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I tried to enjoy the original but just couldn't shake the mediocrity of it. I know it's one of the most acclaimed games on the system, but I just didn't see it.
  14. A-Null Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Played the demo but didn't get into it. Not sure why?

With TFU2 coming out soon I will be looking forward to this and the new COD! [face_dancing]
  15. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I like inFamous. It has a great atmosphere, and the way he sticks to platforms makes navigating the city one of the best in an open world I've seen yet (yes, even better than Assassin's Creed).
  16. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    Funnily enough I was looking for an inFamous thread the other day with more and more info about the sequel coming out.

Picked this up on Platinum when I first got my PS3 and it's awesome.

Sure some game play elements are a bit repetitive just like the Assassin's Creed games, but it's better. It makes me wish that TFU could take a leaf out of it's book to an extent.
  17. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    yo. so, i got a ps3 recently. my mom got it for me for my birthday. um, what i'm wondering is this; could you use one of the usb ports to hook up the ps3 to the internet or do you need to use that lan cable thingy in the back? because i could keep unhooking my modem to hook up my ps3 that way, but that seems counterproductive. and there's another thingy on the back of my modem but it isn't the same connector that a lan cable would go into. or ethernet, or whatever. what in the world do i do?
  18. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'd be surprised if the PS3 doesn't have an ethernet port, seeing as it is supposed to be connected to the internet.

I've just found out something that has changed my mind with regards to getting a PS3. It might seem silly but I've heard that my PSP GT garage can be transferred to GT5. I was all set to get a 360 and Forza 3, but I love my GT games, and having all my PSP GT cars straight off would be great. I just don't know any more. :(
  19. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    If GT5 ever comes out. :p I'm biased towards the 360 because that's where I do most of my gaming, but if you're on the fence about it I would suggest waiting for GT5 reviews and seeing which game seems more up your alley. 360 also has the Project Gotham series.
  20. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    There are other things in the 360's favour. I know I can hook it up to my monitor and it's cheaper. But then the PS3 does have GT5 and online gaming is free. I'm not going to use it to play blu-rays though, or at least I doubt I will.

So far I've played GT2, GT4, and the PSP GT. I've loved them all, the the PSP GT could have more tuning options, more opponents to race against, but generally it's all good. GT4 has all the stuff in GT2 that I love. I love going through the different manufacturers and buying cars and tuning parts, I love the racing events, I love it all. I've never played a Forza game before though, and I have no idea how the two games compare. One thing I find with game reviews is that they don't go into detail in the areas I want. The Forza reviews I've seen say that cars are upgradable or whatever but don't say or show how.
  21. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Forza is less about the graphics and more about car tuning and customization. Forza III won't look as good as GT5, but it has a constant 60fps and each car can be plastered with custom decals and paint jobs, all created with an ingame program that can be as detailed as Photoshop (if you have the patience). Some of the paintjobs people create are just mindblowing.

The tuning/setup system has just about everything you need to turn a normal road car into an S class beast, and the best part is that all the paintjobs, setups and cars can be traded via the online store (using credits you earn during races).

This gives you an idea of the number of upgrades options you have.

I'm not sure how GT5 compares feature wise, but I hear it has a lot stuffed in. Either game would keep you happy I'd guess, so it probably comes down to what else you'd do with each system.
  22. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    It's also worth noting that the 360 has a much more comfortable controller, which I would think is an important part of a racing game. Unless you plan on using a steering wheel.
  23. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    That's hardly a fact. It is instead an opinion. Moose seems very happy with the PS2 controller for Gran Turismo.
  24. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn't mean to present it as a fact, just a widely shared opinion that I thought was worth noting. The triggers on the 360 controller have better curvature that's more comfortable on the fingers (IMHO), though you can purchase extensions for the PS3's that supposedly give them a similar feel. I haven't tried those, however.
  25. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    So I've recently began wondering why Microsoft charges so much for their XBL Gold service (now $60/year). As a 360 gamer, I couldn't directly compare XBL to PSN, so I've been Googling this subject and reading a lot of blogs and message board threads about it. For the most part, despite a lot of fanboy-ism, there seems to be a lot of frustration from people about MS charging so much for Live.

I've read from people who use both XBL and PSN that XBL offers a more user friendly interface but is also more laggy than PSN since XBL uses a peer to peer system rather than dedicated servers for each game (which is apparently the case for PSN). That said, PSN can more easily handle more gamers per game than XBL.

In my experience, I've only noticed XBL lag only a couple times in the 3-4 years that I've had it, though.

Anyway, one blog suggests that MS built Live from the ground up so that game publishers/developers of any size can easily attach a multiplayer component to their games free of cost since XBL subscribers are paying to maintain the system. PSN apparently requires game developers to create their own servers and maintain those servers themselves, which means only the bigger company games can afford to make an online component for it (whereas XBL is more friendly to small developers and small games on their Xbox Live Arcade). This is apparently why PSN cannot offer game invites or chat across different games, because there is no single system in place.

However, is a better user interface and superior friends list/chat options a good enough reason to pay $60 a year for? I dunno. If PSN does a similar service (if a bit more clumsily) and is entirely free, it would seem like a no brainer to me that PSN might be better.

After all that reading, I still don't get how MS can justify a $60/year price tag on XBL when the competition is free. They can't even claim that exclusivity to Netflix anymore, as both PS3 and Wii offer that service for free now (as long as you maintain a Netflix account--which XBL subscribers still need to pay for in addition to the XBL fees).