main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    lol@posting rumours as fact.

From an XBox website:
    "It?s simply a rumor that Konami higher-ups are pressuring Kojima Productions to consider making MGS4 a multiplatform game because production costs on the game are unsurprisingly high and only getting higher. With PS3 install base numbers not looking all that rosy due to console cost and manufacturing problems, Konami is scared they can?t recoup their investment on only 1 platform alone.

It?s also a nice way to maybe blackmail Sony into giving Konami an incentive to keeping the game a PS3 exclusive, imo.

Whatever the case, I highly doubt it?s going to happen so quit building yourself a disappointing kiloton bomb."

The issue of EGM you refer to hasn't even been published yet.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Kojima hates porting. The only reason MGS 2 got a port was because Konami went behind his back and did it.

3. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I have a question. The official PS site has a gallery of pictures of the 60 GB model and the 20 GB model. Both are suposed to have an "HDMI out" port, but judging by the pictures of the back of each system, the 60 GB model is the only one with the actual "HDMI out" port.

My understanding is that the 60 GB model's main differences were, of course, the hard drive space, but also just some internet stuff that I don't care about. I'm pretty much a solo game player.

Isn't the 20GB model suppose to have an "HDMI out" port as well?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The 20Gb wasn't going to have the HDMI port, but I recall hearing or reading somewhere that this was changed and that it will now indeed have that port- which would indicate those photos being slightly out of date, if so.

5. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
  6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/ISB/22052006-11.gif]

7. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Why would Sony ever have considered NOT putting an HDMI port on the 20GB model since the loss of hard drive space and other features is enough to justify a more than $100 price reduction?

Pricewise, PS fans are getting screwed no matter which system you buy. They better hope they sell a lot of PS3's in the first year because there is always the possibity of Blue Ray being the laserdisc version of Beta.

8. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Anyone doing midnight madness or 24 hour waits at Walmart to pick this system up. I called my Walmart and they are getting in 10 but aren't sure of the ratio of $500 to $600 systems.

9. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am. My Wal-mart is going to get 8, and the same thing goes for them, they don't know how much of each that is though. I am going pretty early, judging by the line of the 360 last year, there will be a lot of people there. Possibly even wednesday night...

10. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    I really dont think that Sony will get much of a market in the US with th 600 price in the first or second year within launch, has it really been stated that the PS3 is better that the 360 anyway?

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    In terms of power, they're fairly similar...PS3 has more raw processing power, but the 360 has a bit more memory so it's better able to take advantage of the power it's got, or something like that. In terms of features, the PS3 is better (especially the premium model) since it has wireless/hard drive/HDMI/high-def movie drive built in.

12. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Did anyone read on Gamespot that Sony is now backing down on their EU launch date? Also, the Target that I work at is only going to get 12 and like the others, no ratio info on the models being recieved. And on top of that, no one in Hong Kong will be able to export any PS3's ANYWHERE!!! That is all I have to say...

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I just read that news story. The guy just didn't give a definite date because they looked like idiots last time when they couldn't make it. The supply ramp up is happening so there shouldn't be any real issues.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wii Losing GameCube Loyalists?

Found this line rather amusing:

"The study also shows that 48% of gamers expect PS3 to cost less than $300"

Man, if that's true, there are a lot of people in for a surprise this week...

...and hilarity ensued.

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The kiosks are out there. I played one at Best Buy the other night. Not that anyone cares, but here's what I thought in a simple bullet-point list:

• Motorstorm was the demo game. It looks incredible. I was impressed. Fog appears to be a thing of the past, unless developers decide to use it for effect. I was playing a level on top of a plateau, and you can see for miles and miles. Everything is truly sharp and detailed. When your car blows up, you don't just see blocky shrapnel, you see actual parts.

• That said, the demo itself was hella boring, and the controls were a little too loose for my taste.

• They should have redesigned the controller, since the Dual Shock is an uncomfortable piece of garbage. I like what they did with the L2 and R2 triggers, though.

• The system itself is huge and really ugly. I know we've all seen pictures of the thing on commericals and what-have-you, but I didn't realize how big it was until I saw it up close.

• I'd like to see a unit running a playable Resistance demo. Or at least a demo like the 360 uses where you can see all the features of the system. Every report so far is saying that Resistance is shaping up to be the PS3's Perfect Dark Zero. I tried pressing the PS-logo button in the center of the controller to get to a home menu or something, but nothing happened.
    I don't know if it's an indication of anything, but I'm an early adopter, have a decent amount of disposable income, already have a hi-def plasma TV and THX-calibrated surround-sound home theater setup, and I have no plans for buying a PS3. They'll have to bring up some impressive exclusive games to get my $600, and Tony Hawk or Metal Gear ain't gonna do it. All the games I was interested in on the PS3 are coming out for the 360, which is still quite the monster in my book.

If anything, the exclusives for the 360 are far more compelling: Gears of War, Mass Effect, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Half-Life 2 superpack, and, of course, Mass Effect. Of course, I say all this, and then I'll be at the damn store, and that shiny new game console will be taunting me with its come-hither looks, and I'll cave like the Atlanta Falcons.

16. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    PlayStation 3 Not Quite So Backwards Compatible

Confirming earlier information, Sony says that some PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games do not run as they should on new PlayStation 3 systems. The system went on sale in Japan late last week.

PS3 is designed to be fully backwards compatible with Sony's previous two consoles, but some games play without any sound while others completely fail to load. Sony would not say how many games are affected by the error, but Japanese newspaper Sankei Shimbun originally reported that roughly 200 PS and PS2 games are not working on PS3 consoles.

Sony has suffered numerous problems in the past year, ranging from PS3 production delays and shortages to defective and possibly dangerous laptop computer batteries.

Sony said it is testing games to determine backwards compatibility issues. The company hopes to fix the problem through an online software upgrade.

The official sales numbers are in for the PlayStation 3's Japanese debut... and with a surprising result: less than one game was purchased for every PS3 sold"

I'm not sure why this would be a surprise- the same thing happened with the PS2 when it launched in Japan (it actually had an even lower system-to-game ratio, IIRC), as people were buying it as a cheap DVD player instead of a gaming machine; though this time around the "ebay" answer does seem more likely than the "cheap blu-ray player" one.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'll be interested to see if any high-profile titles are afflicted by the incompatibility. Though that includes PS1 (~7900) and PS2 games (~8100); 1.25% failure rate isn't terribly worrying.

19. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Our store got the Dark Revalation game for PS3 this week. Our displays are ready and hopefully our security will be too. Because I've been telling customers if you're not one of the first 5 people in line, you might not get a PS3.

Also, if you buy 3 games for PS3 at Target, you'll get a $20 gift card with the PS3 logo on it.

20. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Well I was one of the unlucky many that did not get one of the first twenty spots in line this morning. I was hoping to buy a PS3 in order to pay off student loans after selling it on ebay. Alack...I failed.

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    PS3 + eBay == uberprofit... by which I mean $100 million. :eek: :oops: [face_hypnotized] [face_laugh]

This has to be some money-laundering scheme for the mob or something like that. :p [face_worried]

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Personally, I hope the lot of them take their package home to find out the electricity's off because their stupid asses didn't pay the light bill.

I'd love for this system to crash and burn so the eBay sellers and those sleazy street-peddlers will be out the only $600 dollars they had in their bank accounts. Because, let's be honest, these douchenozzles surely don't have full-time jobs (unless it's at a McDonald's, or on the taco-assembly line).

To think that some suckass dirt-merchant stood in line last night in front of some poor kid or Xmas-shopping parent with the sole purpose of making a few bucks makes me want to puke.

America at its ****ing worst.

23. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    To quote this BBC News article:

"Games affected are believed to include Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy."

Now the BBC are hardly gaming experts, their source isn't mentioned, and the statement itself is vague (which FF? Which GT? The whole series? The PS2 installments?).

However, if it's true, it's another let-down. Sony shouldn't have promised backwards compatibility if they even suspected they couldn't guarantee it for popular titles.

24. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Eh, it's called business sense. I actually gotta give credit to these folks for being able to make such a HUGE profit.

Besides, what sensible parent would even be paying the base-price for this thing?

I know if i were a little kid asking Santa for a PS3 for christmas, my parents would've laughed at me!

I knew a guy who did this back with the PS2 launch. He was dumb as a fencepost scholastically but his car sure was a whole lot nicer then mine...

25. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm hearing all across the country, someone got shot, trampled over, and quite a few strong armed robberies for something that's gonna be around for the next 5 years. I even heard a pregnant woman was having contractions while waiting in line, and didn't want to leave her spot.

I feel bad for that one guy who got shot (outside a WalMart for that matter) becuase it goes to show how bad our society can get over greed. I'm rather embarresed because not only does it make our country look bad, but it also shows how people in our society covet material things more than life itself.

Had they been somewhat intelligent, they'd come to find out that there's alot of bugs with the PS3 and that it doesn't work with all PS2 and PS1 games. Not to mention if they don't care for it properly, it can overheat. Not to mention, as I stated before, it's going to be around for a while, and eventually the price will drop. We had a demo system at our store, and it froze while someone was playing a game.