VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm considering picking up a PS3 to use as a Blu-Ray player, but I was wondering...does it have a sleep function?
  2. THE EVIL CLIFFIE Force Ghost

star 2
    Not sure what you mean by that, Gundark. While it can't be turned on and off in the middle of doing something without losing any progress, like a PSP, it starts up pretty quickly. I also think it 'saves' DVD and Blu-Ray progress so you don't have to start again, like some modern DVD players, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else can answer your question better. :)
  3. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, my dvd player now has a feature that lets me set it to shut off after a certain amount of time, in this case a max of 60 minutes. Microsoft has something close to this that will allow shutoff after 6 hours of inactivity or something like that. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set it for two hours.

I'm just curious to see if Sony included anything like that. Either way, I'd still like to pick one up. Too many exclusives to pass up nowadays and I think Microsoft has peaked, especially with the Mass Effect ip no longer being exclusive and Halo Reach fading into memory.
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Yes, that feature was added in a recent firmware update.
  5. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  6. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So I just picked up a PS3 and I was wondering what games I should pick up for it. Mostly what I'm wondering is what the best multiplatform titles are, you know, the ones that really show off what sony put under the hood and put Microsoft to shame. Any suggestions would be appreciated though.

Not really into sports titles except hockey, but otherwise I'd like to hear some opinions on what titles really shine on PS3.

Already on my purchase list:
    LBP
    Oblivion
    ME2

Also, I was looking through the instruction manual just now and saw that backwards compatibility is not supported for PS2 titles. Is this true or is the manual out of date? I don't have any to test at present but last gen had some awesome titles that I'd love to try if they'll play.
  7. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Multiplatform titles look and perform pretty much the same on both consoles, that's why Sony is now trying to hook people in with platform exclusive content. So if you've already experienced a game on the 360, then you won't find it much different on the PS3 version.

I'd go straight for the exclusives; Heavy Rain, Uncharted series, God of War 3, Killzone 2, that's where the PS3 really shines.

I'm actually starting to miss my PS3. Now that I have a gaming PC, I find my 360 is pretty much redundant. However some of the upcoming PS3 exclusives look really good, time to start saving up again. :(
  8. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    LOL that was the first game I bought for it :)

Good to know though, thank you. Apart from Alan Wake and original XBOX titles, I'm starting to wonder why I'm hanging on to my 360. Also good to know that there isn't much difference but I am just a little surprised. I know a lot of people were saying the framerate of RDR was slightly better on 360 but I always assumed that just about every other cross platfrom title would look better for PS3. FF13 definitely looked better.

How about the Uncharted series? Tomb Raider clone or worth full price?
  9. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Definitely worth it. Not sure about there but both Uncharted games are super cheap here, they're a must have experience for all PS3 owners.

And sure, there are some multiplats that work better for PS3. In the case of FFXIII I think it was the blu-ray that helped. The 360's DVDs really had to compress the cutscenes down a lot. But generally they all look the same. Only the PC beats them for visuals. ;)
  10. Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well to be fair FF 13 is basically all cutscenes so there was a lot of compressing to be done. That game... so boring...
  11. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well...I've done it. I finally bit the bullet and joined the 21st century and the world of online console multiplayer.

[face_dancing] I'm finally on PSN! [face_dancing]

Send me a pm if you want my gamertag.
  12. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Well I'm finally back on board the PS3train with my new slim. Getting ready for MK, inFamous 2 and Uncharted 3.

PSN ID is MedievalSam if anyone wants to hook up.
  13. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't wait for Infamous 2! my 60 gb ps3 still works! I really like that model. I really like having backwards compatibility. I think Sony should bring back that feature.
  14. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I hate you!

I bought the big 160gb in 09 and coulda sworn at teh time it was backwards compatibilty... Joke was on me.
  15. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
    hahaha Sony is the one who deserves that hate. :( :p lol

Sony should really consider bringing it back. There have been news that they patented some technology for backwards compatibility but so far they have not released anything. They need to hurry up and release it.
  16. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, esp considering that my PS2 is 10 yrs old and I have some sentimental games that rock Id love to be able to play. Esp again since I spent $650+ on that PS3.
  17. Obi-Wan-1000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Also because PS2's are probably going to disappear soon, it's been more than 10 years now. If Sony does not bring back backwards compatibly, there will be no way to play PS2 games. And yeah, PS2 has some of the best games ever. Sony needs to release a good emulator for PS2 games, and soon!
  18. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder if my PS3 is even 3-D compatible? If they built it in my model and maybe they have BWC built in all of the PS3's everywhere and they waiting for a big unlock event when PS2's are gone...??? LMAO thats a longshot but its nice to think about!
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    3D compatibility was added with a firmware upgrade, so yours is.
  20. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    So I'm thinking of getting a PS3, if only because I hear it's the best blu-ray player on the market. However, I just heard a news report claim that using the PS3 to play movies is highly cost inefficient (apparently it uses like 2x's the electricity to play a movie than a regular blu-ray player would).

Would this use make a definite appearance on my electric bill?
  21. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Surely that'd make it the worst blu-ray player on the market wouldn't it?

The PS3 is a mini computer, you don't buy it just to watch movies.
  22. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Well, there are much cheaper blu-ray players out there, but from what I've heard (mainly from these boards) is that those blu-ray players aren't nearly as good as the PS3, which has the added advantage of working as a gaming console too.

Admittedly, there are very few PS3 games that seem to catch my attention. Pretty much every game I want to play is available for my 360 (which I do use as a movie player, be it via Netflix or DVD).

If I'm correct, Sony also doesn't require you to get PSN Plus in order to use Netflix (whereas MS requires Xbox Live Gold to view Netflix). So there's that.

Anyway, I could really use some opinions here. If I do get a PS3, my gaming on it will probably be very minimal as I'm so comfortable with the 360, but I want to experience good quality blu-rays.
  23. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hm, I honestly can't tell how high my electric bill is because of my PS3 as its usually somewhat high with my computer on all day. So no idea if it would have a huge impact on your electric bill or not. As for whether its a useful machine... well, that's a matter of opinion, I guess. You don't have much interest in any exclusive games for it either, although I like it a lot, but you never know when you might find a great game on it too.

I'm pretty sure Netflix is available for free on the PS3. I don't think it requires a disc anymore either. Guess its up to you whether the hard drive or the wireless connection is appealing to you. The 360 is pretty useful too, but guess it depends on when you bought yours (before they added wireless in or whether you bought an extra attachment), having to use an ethernet cable is... inconvenient for me because of how far my TV and router is.

I don't know how PS3s compare to other Blu-ray players honestly. I think other Blu-ray players are probably at least a hundred dollars? Or maybe the prices have dropped more recently, no idea. So its a relatively good value, getting a Blu-ray player and a game console at once. It'll definitely work as a Blu-ray player, there's no question about that, its just up to you whether the PS3's other features matter to you. The controller is rechargable so no need for batteries, but that probably doesn't matter that much to you.
  24. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    The PS3 is excellent as a Blu Ray player. However if that's all you're going to use it for, do some research and get an excellent dedicated Blu Ray player, which will be cheaper.
  25. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I have one of the older 360s (the Halo 3 edition) and a brand new Kinect-ready wireless 360.

Honestly, if the 360 had a Blu-ray attachment, I wouldn't even be looking at the PS3, but I keep hearing about how it's "the best Blu-ray player out there," which has me interested. I mean, I've seen some top-reviewed blu-ray players that cost in the range of $200-$300, and imo that's a lot to be spending on a movie player. That's why I'm looking at spending a few extra bucks and getting a PS3 out of the deal.