main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Aren't we already there with music? Or do people actually still buy CDs? And considering that Netflix console usage accounts for 20% of all internet traffic I'd say it's closer than you think.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, a PS3 arrived yesterday. I say A PS3, because I think they just shipped me a new one without bothering to fix the old. Still had cling-film on it and everything.

I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to log onto my ethernet yesterday before giving up in frustration. Took another 10 minutes today.
    And then I have to log onto PSN, only to be told my password doesn't work. Well, I only got to try 2 of my possible passwords, because honestly, I almost never used my PSN password (like 3 times in 2 years!), so I had to guess which of my 8 stock passwords it was... Anyway, I'm told PSN is emailing me a new password.
    Oh, but PSN is still down.

So, great. All the Netflix instant viewing is still totally inactive, unless I want to sit in front of my computer.

I hope they find the hackers who caused all this.
    I hope they find them and stick them in a "Pound-me-in-the-a$$" prison.
    This level of vandalism is both pointless and profitless.

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I still buy CDs and DVDs. Often bands I like have bonus tracks or DVDs or something and a lot of the older bands like The Cure and The Sisters of Mercy have done extended releases of old albums that have bonus tracks as well. I might have it all in mp3 format on my computer but I've still got the discs so if I lose everything I'll still have the music.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Does anyone know how well/poor that OnLive device/service is doing?

As for purchasing CDs...I haven't purchased a CD in years. More often than not, I stream Pandora on my Nook. My fiancee purchases individual songs or albums from the iTunes store for her iPod.

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Pretty sure it was dead on arrival. Or announcement.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, it looks like PSN is back up.
    At least, for now.

Was able to get NetFlix software loaded in, so I can use Watch Instantly on my TV for the first time in about 3 weeks.
    Huzzah!

7. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
  8. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Right now?

The store is back, however it seems a bit buggy. Kind of slow and a lot of things result in "error" messages. I assume by tomorrow or the following day it'll be back normal. I am looking forward to my free month of PSN+. I'll be able to see if it's worth my money, or not. :p

9. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't feel bad being wrong at all :)

10. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Oh I wasn't pointing out that you were wrong. :p Just that it's back up now. And it's still a little hiccup-ridden. I expect it to be up and running to full capacity soon. But right now, I still run into error messages and such.

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes, I tried to download the Virtua Tennis and Infamous 2 demos last night and couldn't. Browsing anything was fine though. I want my free games dammit. :p

12. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    I've finally been able to download Mega Man 9! Seriously, I had been planning to get this the very day PSN went down.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    And just in time for E3 too. I was hoping the PSN would be back up by their estimate of Saturday, although I was half expecting
    Sunday too. It hasn't been a good few months for Sony (and I think the overall Sony financial report isn't all that great either, at least according to a news story on another site I glanced through), but it would've been really embarrassing if the PS Store hadn't been up in time for their E3 conference. They'll probably try to have a few reveals or surprises for their conferences, so having a working PSN (and hopefully it stays up this time) is important too.

When I browsed through the store last night, lots of error messages when I tried to access this or that, but usually after a few tries it worked. Now just have to wait for their free stuff welcome back package. Wonder if they'll just launch during/after their conference or before. At least most of their choices for free games are very good.

14. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Looks like Sony's welcome back program is up now, although the store still seems really glitchy (I keep getting errors... or maybe everyone is just downloading games at once?). At least I managed to start my Infamous download (though its kind of slow at the moment). Now, hm, which PSP games to get. I'm going to get LittleBigPlanet PSP, but debating on whether to get Modnation Racers or Killzone (although I'm leaning towards the racing game). And gotta remember to rent the Ghostbusters movie later (that's always good for a few laughs).

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I got Infamous and LBP off the free downloadable games. I loved LBP and I feel like I turned it in prematurely. As for Infamous, I bought it and only played through half of it. With 2 coming out in days, I think it's a good idea to refresh myself (also the Infamous 2 demo is a good way to do this; great demo, BTW).

I am liking the PLUS membership. Some great deals on icon bundles and such. Like the MvC3 bundle. 4 dollars for 38 icons...or 1.29 for a pack of 4? Nah, I'll take all of em, thanks. Same with RE; 10 icons for 99 cents or pay 49 cents a piece? I'm an icon junkie & PS3 only has a handful, which is a shame since I love the way the PS3's are set-up. I'll eat up as many of these as I can.

The one thing I am sad about, however, is that the "free" games you can get (see: Oddworld: Abe's Exodus) are only free for the duration of your PS+ membership. Blah. I'd prefer anything I get on my PS+ trial I am able to keep. Ah well...

They did also say some movies would be available as free rentals. Anywhere I can get a list of said movies? [face_thinking]

16. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, those free games are what you get while you're a member of PSN+...if you stop paying, you stop getting access to them. It's not something that's been added for this free month promotion. So of course you don't get to keep them. That's like complaining that Netflix won't let you keep movies you've rented if you give up your membership. :p

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    ^ Yep. I was looking at those free games and it didn't look like there were any I'd like to keep. So I probably won't keep up with PSN Plus.

Anyway I picked up Little Big Planet and Super Stardust HD. I've downloaded Super Stardust and I've realized just how badly I suck at arcade shooters. But it looks really nice on my HD TV. The disclaimer that pops up when you start up the game also made me laugh.

Little Big Planet is something I'm going to wait to try out. The file is so huge it'll take forever and a day to download.

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    After 14 hours of frigging downloading I got Infamous and LBP. LBP is such a great game it never gets old.

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I already have inFamous and LBP so I went with Quest for Booty and WipeOut.

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That makes sense. It's sort of a perk of having Plus. I see now. :p

14 hours of downloading? [face_plain] What kind of connection are you on? I couldn't imagine it taking that long. I had both LBP and inFamous downloaded inside of an hour.

Something I have noticed, though, is how slow the PSN does download files. It seems XBL is so much faster with updates, videos, demos, etc. I've never had an issue with XBL but most of my PS3 stuff seems to download relatively slow. Not 14 horus slow, but still...slow.

21. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    How many GB is LittleBigPlanet? I still have the disc version lying around here somewhere, but thinking about downloading it. Hm, but then since I already have a copy might as well try something else like Superstardust.

And wow, Infamous in less than an hour? My connection was only going at about 1MB every 1.5 second or so, so it still took about two hours (give or take). Wireless or wired?

Gotta remember to get around to downloading Ghostbuster and watching it this weekend- that movie is always good. I think the other options (not sure if you can watch only one or all) were the Final Fantasy CG movie and Bad Boys.

Huh, glancing at the Playstation Plus looks like you can download games and try them out for an hour? Hm, maybe I'll try out the PS3 version of ME2 then. The regular version is still too expensive for me, but I don't mind trying it out (either that or maybe I'll get the demo sometime, not sure if the demo lasts an hour or not).

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nobody, get the demo, it's quite good and covers everything just about.

As for the free games, review I posted elsewhere:

Infamous

Got it free as part of the Welcome Back thing so I should be kind to it, right?

No. Gigantic waste of time combined with the most retarded control scheme and camera in ages. Assassin's Creed makes climbing buildings easy and fun, does this? No. Instead you have a useless pillock who can't climb anywhere easily.

Oh and combat, you'll spend so much time trying to target the enemies manually, no lock-on ability or anything, nope - and they all shoot perfectly, from long-distance, move fast and you're left floundering trying to shoot them. I did mention your lightning blastsr have to be perfectly on target too? No? Well they do. This game manages to give you lightning and then make it the woussiest thing you ever saw.

Not wasting any more time on this rubbish, deleted the waste of space.

I'm now really hoping the likes of Elder Scrolls V, Batman Arkham City, Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed: Revolutions can turn this dismal run, but they're not due for months. Time to start re-playing the good stuff.

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Wireless connection but it's right next to my router. Took roughly 40 minutes and LBP took about half hour. I started at noon and was done by the time I left for work at 1:15-ish.

This for the first, or second? The first had it's issues. It's not perfect by any means, but again it is free. Sure it's flawed and there's no lock-on targeting, so you can get easily frustrated with trying to shoot people, but it's not a bad game. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I don't think it's a waste of space. And inFamous 2 makes the job easier. The demo was fun and pretty lengthy (to me). I had a great time jumping around and blasting people. Not GOTY by any stretch, but a fun time-filler until the early Fall when the big guns start rolling out.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You and I obviously have different definitions of "fun time-filler".

I was looking for something that was fun and rewarded experimentation and exploration and it just doesn't do that at all. It just fell apart completely.

25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I have Comcast, it just took forever for whatever reason.