VIDEO Blu Laser Cult: The Playstation 3 Discussion

Discussion in 'Games' started by MarcusP2, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hm, I agree with many of JB's complaints about Infamous. Although the sandbox part of the game is fun, and I didn't think the climbing was quite that bad. Been playing through it, having quite a bit of fun so far, sticking purely to good choices. If only civilians didn't keep running into my line of fire. I agree with the aim mechanic. Even Uncharted 1 had blindfire, and then Uncharted 2 added a retina. Still, glad I downloaded it, and seriously thinking about buying the sequel now.

Working my way through the ME2 demo, huh, it is better looking than the 360 version. After that, I'm going to try out the Infamous 2 demo, see if they've improved the control scheme since the first game.

E3 should be starting up in another few hours, here's hoping Sony pulls off a good conference (Kevin Butler would be nice, as well as a big apology, at the very least).
  2. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Ugh, so I'm using MediaGo and I'm not happy. There's a thing called 'Welcome Back' that has the 'two free games' thing, but when I click on it it just comes up with 'no content found'. How am I supposed to get the games if not through MediaGo? And how am I supposed to get them if they don't show up?
  3. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved inFamous, I didn't find it much of an issue regarding the accuracy of the main shot, once you unlock a few abilities you use it more for finishing things off or teeing them up with the quick shot for big hits. Typically I didn't get in much of a fight without a power source nearby which I could leech from, the climbing is easy too once you identify what you can grab and what you can't grab. I will admit I did take a while to get used to jumping on rails / power lines etc, and I never really got used to shooting while sliding.
  4. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, another E3 conference over. Not that many huge surprises and sadly no Kevin Butler, but then most of the focus was on the new PS Vita (gotta go comment in that topic in a minute). Starhawk looks cool though, as did the Dust game (I've gotta join EVE Online one of these days). Looking forward to Sly 4 once I get around to playing the collection. Also looking forward to the God of War and ICO Collections in September.

Although the highlight was probably Uncharted 3 of course. Awesome trailer, and yay, both Elena and Chloe are back! The gameplay looks fantastic as always, graphics are beautiful (look at all that water), definitely looking forward to that game at least.
  5. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    Definitely picking up inFAMOUS 2 tomorrow (today). Looking forward to it.

The trial games (hour long rental, basically) is a really cool idea from Sony. I applaud them on that.
  6. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, all the way back on page 3 (or 5)...
    OK
    so, my PS3 stopped working again.
    No video output signal. Seems like just a couple months ago (it was 3 months) I had this problem and had to send it in.
    Oh, the PS network is down. Great. Kinda hard to log in or get customer service if the network for asking for help isn't working.

Don't suppose there's any chance that the problem with no signal has anything to do with the network not functioning? Yeah, probably not.
    Oh, and I can't file a report because it keeps saying that the serial number (which I'm reading right from the back of the unit) is invalid??? W.T.F?!?!? OK, so I sent an email to support, and they guarenteed a reply within 24 hours. Guess what? No reply.

At this point, I'm tempted to toss it and just get some wifi connection so I can use netflix with my TV.
    The games are nice and all, but I don't see spending $100+ every couple of months to get something crucial repaired as a positive investment strategy, and the failure of customer service is a disgrace.

Anyone got any suggestions?
  7. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    This exact same thing is happening to me - thankfully I had a two-year store warranty and they're dealing with it. They said it'd take two to three weeks, and so I went back after two and a half weeks...it didn't get shipped out yet.

So I waited while they did that. Checking back in a few days to make sure they're not just sitting around.
  8. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    They finally got back to me with a "try turning your system off and back on. If that doesn't work, completely unplug your system, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in." Which did work.
    Of course, "No Video Signal" wasn't one of the easy to find complaints, and that doesn't explain why PSNetwork was down (yet again).
    I do have to giggle the cable from time to time for some reason, not sure why that is.
  9. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    I recall back in the previous generation, the Splinter Cell games were always tailor-made for the Xbox at first, before months later a more linear version with smaller levels was made for the GCN and PS2. This was due to the Xbox being technically superior to the GCN and PS2. The other versions would receive an extra level and/or GBA-connectivity to make up for this.

Now, with the HD Trilogy re-release on PS3, I'm wondering whether the re-releases are HD versions of the original Xbox titles or their PS2 ports? If Sony has done the conversion themselves, I'm inclined to think that they would only have the rights to the PS2 versions, but if Ubisoft handled it, one can hope that they are based on the original Xbox versions. Does anyone know?
  10. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    One if my friends, an offline 360 gamer, just recently got a ps3. He has since been talking about how much better the ps3 is because psn is free and because ps3 games are "true" 1080p.

Is he right with his assessment? I believe 360 games are also in 1080p, and that live is superior to psn.

So, which one is really better?
  11. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I dunno why people say these things. If you look at a "true" 1080p game being played on a PC with 1080p resolution, you'll see the image quality is miles ahead of any PS360 game.
  12. obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    wii by far
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/JIfhZ.jpg]
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Most games are still 720p, for both consoles.

Don't play online, but he's right, PSN is free.

Also no console wars in here.
  14. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I'm just wondering what's the difference between live and psn and psn+ at this point.

Edit:

I found this link, but it's obviously outdated for live, not sure about psn

http://phlash.hubpages.com/hub/Xbox-Live-vs-Playstation-Network
  15. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    The difference is no cross-game voice chat, mainly.

They both let you play games online. They both have game demos and DLC. Not sure what you are looking for.
  16. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    So Live charges $60/year just for cross-game chat?
  17. zacparis VIP

star 7
    No, cross game chat is free.
  18. Darth-Vassago Force Ghost

star 5
    LIVE is overall a better experience than PSN+. I'm not sure if I posted my rant here or on another site but the overall better online service (for the money) is LIVE. Navigation is better, it's not as janky and it's just a cleaner experience. PSN has nice avatars but that's about it, really. LIVE has great integration with Netflix, Youtube, etc. I'm aware PSN has all that stuff too but in using both extensively, I feel like LIVE is just overall better. :-B
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Yes PSN+ is pretty much not worth the money.

It's a question of whether Live is worth the money over PSN.
  20. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    What exactly is the difference between psn+ and psn?

Also, psn essentially has all the same features as live?
  21. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    psn is the entirety of the network and the + is more!
    yeah, but, um it basically lets you in for early beta testing if you're a plus member and also you get discount rates on downloadable games/add-on content (and sometimes you even get stuff for "free").
  22. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    What Axle said. But it is worth noting that as far as the "Free" games goes, it's sort of like Netflix. You can play it as much as you want while you're a subscriber but you'll lose it if you stop paying.

Pretty much (with the exception of the new PSP Vita features). You'll find champions for either. I guess it just depends on what interface you like dealing with better. My rule of thumb is, go with whatever your friends are going with.
  23. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Hmm...i'm starting to feel like I'm paying too much for live then...
  24. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    Does anyone know of any free software that will make a PS3 controller work on a PC through USB?
  25. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It can be done but requires some trickery.

http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/