main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey Jon! I hope things are looking up now! [:D]

Insurance companies are such a pain to deal with. I realize a lot of people try to manipulate them but it does make it very difficult to deal with legitimately. :(

Still no apartment for me... this is getting very frustrating! I may have to give up and look further out, but I didn't move to a city to not live at least really close to the city. 8-}

2. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Ish, I no longer have room in my room for my books. Both book cases are full, and I couldn't fit another one in if I tried.

On an unrelated note, am I the only one that almost always reads NSWFF as NSFW? There's clearly a large difference there...

3. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I do. Actually, most of my time is spent either in NSWFF or Beyond the Saga. That's where my stories are, so that's where I find the good stories.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, I read it like that, too. Quite often. And even if I do read the abbreviation properly, I keep thinking it means "Not Safe For Work Fan Fiction." :p

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I love NSWFF. [face_love]

(I love SWFF too :p )

Well... it's two more days until my production of Hamlet opens. Someone remind me to breathe, since I think I've forgotten how! [face_laugh]

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    No such thing. :p Of course, I've taken to stacking books in odd places/buying bigger/more shelves. Plus my e-reader; I'd be in even more shelf trouble than I already am without it.

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Nope! I'm pretty sure that when the topic came up initially, that was pointed out and joked about quite frequently. I'll admit, even after all this time I do still see NSFW when I first glance at it.

Idri- I hope all goes well!! [:D]

On the subject of too many books and e-reader is the way to go! I was really hesitant at first... I love my books but then I tried my moms and really liked it. Then I was moving and knew I couldn't bring all my books (or as my brother calls them, dead tree copies) so I kept the ones I really couldn't part with and then bought a Kindle. Best purchase ever! I see a book I want to read and I have it in 2 minutes. I can carry hundreds of books with me on the subway and to work which is good for me 'cause I can never predict what I'll want to read.

8. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    You know what else is awesome? Putting fanfic on your e-reader. :D I definitely have a copy of some of SoA's fanfic on my Nook, and I'm going to hunt down some of my favourites to put into .epub format. That way I can read them anywhere! It's a beautiful thing.

9. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    congrats Sithgirl on the job and the house. East coast still sounds like a good place to live.

Working my way thru internship applications right now again. It's like homework, internship applications, wash, rinse, repeat lol

I'm watching the guy next to me in the uni computer lab play starcraft. It's like chess on steroids.

10. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Has anyone here ever shipped a car before? Sounds like the other guy's insurance doesn't care, and because I'm young and a fairly new driver, making this not my fault is next to impossible. So I'm probably going to have my car fixed and shipped halfway across the country.

And I'm out of a job again- a shorter temp position than I'd bargained for. Oh well, lots of time for fanfic and World of Warcraft in between my job-hunting...

11. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I know of someone who shipped a car to Texas once, but didn't ask them for details...

12. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    no, I haven't heard of car shipping, but being in an accident and carless does not sound like fun. Good luck on the job hunt. Ah, the joys of WoW.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Month is drawing to a close, I still need to do more writing, but my resolution to practice piano every day is going well. I'm making real progress on everything for my recital, even though it's stressing the heck out of me. And February starting means two thigns: 1) Sriker is coming out to visit and go to LTUE with me and 2) I only have february and most of March left before my trip!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ah, writing. This never gets done when I've got grad school to deal with. It's always like this: homework first. Okay, homework's done. Let's try job applications. I've gotten as far as I could on that. Now, what about the writing? It's 2am. At this point, I can't coherently string together a sentence. Maybe I'll write that fanfic tomorrow. Wake up. More work appears.

Piano is fun. Any chance of uploading a video of yourself playing, Ish?

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Piano is fun. I don't play it as much as I used to; shame, but my concentration is now on clarinet. There's days when I wish I wasn't minoring in music with it, but if I wasn't, I'd miss it terribly. There's something soothing about working steadily on a piece, slowly getting out all the kinks and making it polished for performance.

I do need to get back into more writing, too. I've been on a kind of stall since September thanks to the theatre stuff. I'm entering a writing competition at the end of the month as some incentive; it's a big leap - nonfiction, which I haven't done a lot of - and I've never done anything like it before, but I figure, what the hell -- might as well do it, I have nothing to lose. :)

Speaking of shows... I'm going through huge withdrawal right now. Baah, I wish it could have kept going forever. But our run did brilliantly while it lasted. And because I can't help myself and I want to share, here's a production album - if you ever wondered what female!Hamlet (yes, that's me) could look like, well... this is our version. :p

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I always wished I learned the piano. I was going to when I was younger but then the lady that was giving my brother lessons died and for some reason it just never happened. I can play the theme song to M*A*S*H, though.

Thanks for sharing Idri!! (I love your costume! I could never pull off those shorts but they looked great on you!) It looks like it was an awesome production! I really enjoy gender swapping in shows, and I could see it working well for Hamlet.

I completely understand the withdrawal, I always felt that way after a show. You work so hard for so long and then the show comes and it's usually all panic and adrenaline and then it's just over. I hated striking a show cause it was so final, and it made me really sad. :(

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm camera-shy, but I'll record some stuff some time and email it to willing victims. Actually, tomorrow before work, I'll sit down and record two things--the second movement of the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 and "I See People in Boats" from Pirates of the Carribean. Sometime later, I'll record fast stuff. But if you want to hear it, PM me.

I got lucky to take 6 years of piano lessons before I had to choose between those and violin lessons. Then I taught myself for 15+ years before one of my best friends suggested I start up again.

I can relate to the withdrawal. It's happened for the last two summers, after I spent several hours a week either yelling at people or being yelled at by a director for the whole summer and eventually spent more time with some of them than my normal friends.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You lucky piano players. I've wanted to learn, but could never coordinate my hands properly to learn. And since a bout of pneumonia curtailed any further clarinet playing, I can't play anything. [face_plain]

Hoo... end of the month is almost here and second week of February is when I move. Dunno what the date is, but it's the second week of February. Needless to say, I'm excited, yet saddened, as I've grown to like York. I'm gonna miss it.

Well, the weekly shootings are something I won't miss. Though, I wonder how I'll be able to sleep when I move to Gettysburg?it will be so peaceful!

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm really interested in this one, especially since I like Luceno as an author anyway. I've got one book I'm reading on my Kindle and another waiting, and after that I'll probably buy it.

Good luck to everyone who is moving.

Writing withdrawal: I can relate. I try to write something every day but it's been harder lately with work. And Jedi Master Muse can be fickle when he wants to be, I have to pump him full of Starbucks.

Writing is my escape, though, along with Star Wars in general.

20. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm another one who always wanted to learn piano, but in my case, I've always been too lazy to do it. I need to take lessons someday.

Love your pictures, Idri, and congrats on your show being a success! :)

I had to deal with a bit of withdrawal of my own these past few days. I spent two weeks climbing Kilimanjaro (I made it to the top, and will share pics and details by PM or email if anyone wants!), doing an amazing safari, and sightseeing in Amsterdam for a day. The whole thing was honestly the most perfect two weeks I could imagine, and even though I was happy to see my friends and family, coming home to cold, grey Canada wasn't easy. :p

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Congrats on making it up Kilimanjaro, amidalachick! That is awesome!!
    I would love to see pictures and hear about it! :) Climbing a mountain is on my list of things to do one of these days!

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    climbing the Kilimanjaro =D==D= Great and only one day in Amsterdam;) There is a lot to see for a whole week

23. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Climbing Kilimanjaro? That's completely awesome! Congratulations!

Well, I finally landed an awesome job actually being a geologist. I'm so excited! And I have to go truck-shopping so I have a car that's capable of offroading. Sounds like I'm getting both a much larger and much nicer car than I'd anticipated...

24. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey guys. This is the Social Thread right? I don't want to post this in the wrong place! [face_blush]

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Last I checked, this is indeed the social thread. I occasionally do a bit of socializing here, myself. What shall we socialize about tonight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.